Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry play book

• 31-12-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭

So has anyone managed to get this android player working on the playbook or the torrent client.

Any other things which should be done to maximise the playbook? Havent had too much a chance to research, can't find a tips and tricks thread for them either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Not really what I was looking for, thanks anyway.

I'll going to post how I am getting Android Player installed on the Playbook.

First of all you need to install DDPB Installer, a simple google search will find this. Install this to your pc and connect the playbook via micro usb. Go to settings on Playbook and select Security - Delevopment mode and swich it on (enter a password). Go back to DDPB and press scan and enter password. Once it connects you are ready to load BAR files onto your Playbook.

Part two
    Find a download for sys.android.bar this shouldn't be too hard, won't post links here. Download it and place it into the ddpd folder in your my docs folder.

Select Add on DDPB app and find the bar file. Tick the checkbox and select install. This should install the Android player on your playbook. I'll have a play arond and post my next steps later.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Not really what I was looking for, thanks anyway.

I'll going to post how I am getting Android Player installed on the Playbook.

First of all you need to install DDPB Installer, a simple google search will find this. Install this to your pc and connect the playbook via micro usb. Go to settings on Playbook and select Security - Delevopment mode and swich it on (enter a password). Go back to DDPB and press scan and enter password. Once it connects you are ready to load BAR files onto your Playbook.

Part two
    Find a download for sys.android.bar this shouldn't be too hard, won't post links here. Download it and place it into the ddpd folder in your my docs folder.

Select Add on DDPB app and find the bar file. Tick the checkbox and select install. This should install the Android player on your playbook. I'll have a play arond and post my next steps later.

You may also find this vid useful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR8_ytGpJic&feature=related

or just follow those instructions here

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/27-steps-android-apps-your-playbook-631759/

Let us know how you got on

Looks like you might have been right first time, my version of the firmware won't work with the android player, while I did get it on, it wouldn't work. Crashed the app on start up.

However I did apply for beta access to Firmware 2.0 and am upgrading now. This should have the android player and market play built in. However it is only beta and apparently there are a lot of areas not finished. I'll have a look anyway.

Well since I started this thread I had to get a replacement playbook, it wouldn't charge at 0%.

I put the newest firmware on it and have sideloadeded some android apps onto it that I got from the crackberry forum. My next aim is to get xbmc onto it so I can get Liveonlinefooty working through xbmc and get some more andoid apps.

The integrated messaging is handy if a little confusing at first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Joey
    How are you getting on with the Playbook. I had been looking at the tablets in the thread over in BA, but one of the guys there said the playbook might be an easier, less tech option for me.
    I just want to browse the web, play movies/music and check emails.Unless its a doddle to use/load, Android market isn't a deal breaker for me. On the cheaper tablets, there seems to be a lot of messing about to use these "simple" tasks.
    Is the playbook ready to go , out of the box?

Yes, you can use the playbook straight out of the box, it's perfect for browsing net, watching movies, playing games etc.
    I owned this device for a few hours (my mate asked me to root and sideload android apps for him)
    My only minor complaint would be......... boot up time. I actually think that it takes about 2/3 mins to get OS ready to go.

I'm on my mobile atm, will post more later.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Well since I started this thread I had to get a replacement playbook, it wouldn't charge at 0%.

I put the newest firmware on it and have sideloadeded some android apps onto it that I got from the crackberry forum. My next aim is to get xbmc onto it so I can get Liveonlinefooty working through xbmc and get some more andoid apps.

The integrated messaging is handy if a little confusing at first.

More playbook /android apps for you.

goodereader.com/apps/playbook/playbook-android-apps/

Yeah agree with everything above, its simple to use and as long as you have a wifi connection for first time power up extremely easy to configure. Just as easy as my iphone. Make sure you learn the unique gestures for the playbook, it goes through it all in the setup.

the boot is slow however standby uses very little battery. Its also a little heavier that some of the others however its very good value and the resolution on the screen is very good.

cheers, i'll have a look at those apps now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

thanks for that. Time for a visit to PCworld

• Advertisement

Got some games sideloaded yesterday. Playbook looking a lot better with all the sideloaded apps.

Advertisement