Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

7 days or 7 billion years?

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Twin-go wrote: »
    Sorry, but you are wrong. Atheist have no beliefs.

Can you tell me anything else that people believe in but we have no proof for? Anything at all?

Jesus may have been a great spiritual teacher but there have been many great spiritual teachers. Mohammad, Buddha and even in modren world the Dali Lama.

OK then you don't believe in something. Why is believing in something so different to you not believing in it? There is no evidnce that god definetly doesn't exsist. People keep trying to disprove or prove things. Do they really know what the are trying to dis-prove or prove?
    Do you see my point?
    I agree. With your final part, and if you look closely thay all pretty much said the same thing with the same common goal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I see this has as expected descended into a debate about whether or not God exists. This is not the place for it. I'd normally lock it but I'm bored so:

From now on any posts in this thread containing the letter 'e' will be deleted. No posting a 3 or a € or an asterisk in place of it either. And I'll be removing one additional letter from usage each day.

Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

togster wrote: »
    OK then you don't believe in something. Why is believing in something so different to you not believing in it?

Because it is the complete oppisite.

There is also no evidnce that god definetly doesn't exsist. People keep trying to disprove or prove things. Do they really know what the are trying to dis-prove or prove? Do you see my point?

I ask you again, What else is there that we have no proof exists yet we have many people who believe it exists?

I agree. With your final part, and if you look closely thay all pretty much said the same thing with the same common goal :)

They all have the same goal yes. But some believe theirs is the one true God/religion. This is why it is divisive. Atheism removes this divisivness.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

How can I talk about Darwin's claims without using that particular graphic?

Because it is the complete oppisite.
    Not really. You don't believe in god right? So why don't you? Is it because there is no evidence to prove that "god" does exsist?

You base your beliefs on absence of evidence and "religios" people base there's on books. Neither are solid evidence. Kinda like faith tbh.

I ask you again, What else is there that we have no proof exists yet we have many people who believe it exists?

But your right i can't come up with anything, but why do so many people believe? There most be some tiny bit of truth somewhere and i think thats what Jesus and others were all about.

They all have the same goal yes. But some believe theirs is the one true God/religion. This is why it is divisive. Atheism removes this divisivness.

Yes some "believers", but not all....

When teachers say it's "the only way" or "i am the only" way. You gotta understand that they didn't mean them personally. Just the method/path they took to get "there"

Atheism removes this divisivness.

How?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Lets give it up for jackkass, fair enough i strongly disagree with everything he thinks but without him there'd be no discussion on the atheism forum or on this thread!
    He's well able to defend his position and it's to be respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Stop using that symbol. It's not that hard. Lots of words do not contain that symbol which follows d. Just try. You can do it. I know you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

I'm a...good...work...guy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Not really. You don't believe in god right? So why don't you? Is it because there is no evidence to prove that "god" does exsist?

You base your beliefs on absence of evidence and "religios" people base there's on books. Neither are solid evidence. Kinda like faith tbh.
    Belief despite lack of evidence is faith. Disbelief because of lack of evidence is not faith, it is lack of faith

Do you consider believing in unicorns and not believing in unicorns to be similar in terms of the faith required?

I don't beleive in God the same way I don't believe in the Tooth Fairy

Atheism is not a belief structure. It's a disbelief structure.

But your right i can't come up with anything, but why do so many people believe? There most be some tiny bit of truth somewhere and i think thats what Jesus and others were all about..

Millions of Children Believe in Santa.......

How?

Atheism removes divisivness becasue there is nothing to disagree about.

If you put it the other way around and removed Ateism and everybody believed in God you would still have people disagreeing on how to follow him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

javaboy wrote: »
    Stop using that symbol. It's not that hard. Lots of words do not contain that symbol which follows d. Just try. You can do it. I know you can.
    Aaaahhhhh, mmmm. Daaa ****e I can't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Atheism removes divisivness becasue there is nothing to disagree about.

If you put it the other way around and removed Ateism and everybody believed in God you would still have people disagreeing on how to follow him.

We are disagreeing right now, atheism hasn't helped us in any respect :)

Your view is basically. If everyone was an atheist there would be nothing to disagree about. That's like saying that everyone was a Christian there would be nothing to disagree about.

I think people would still squabble about politics as usual :p

Jakkass wrote: »
    We are disagreeing right now, atheism hasn't helped us in any respect :)

Your view is basically. If everyone was an atheist there would be nothing to disagree about. That's like saying that everyone was a Christian there would be nothing to disagree about.

I think people would still squabble about politics as usual :p

No, If you were Atheist also we would not be disagreeing. If I were Christian we could still disagree about how to worship him.

Politics has nothing to do with Atheism. We would still have divisions on other issues. Politics, Land boarder etc. But that is a whole other discussion.

If everybody was Christian you would still have disagreements. The 2 communities in Northren Ireland are both Christian after all. The Sunnis and the Shias in Iraq are both Muslims.

:P:P right back at you!!:D

That's not his view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Belief despite lack of evidence is faith. Disbelief because of lack of evidence is not faith, it is lack of faith

Do you consider believing in unicorns and not believing in unicorns to be similar in terms of the faith required?

i have faith. i believe that things will work out, even if i cant see how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Secondly, I must ask you are you merely googling this instead of reading this yourself? If so, I don't think it's the best example of freethought.

your google is the bible. 'free-thought' isnt quoting text from a holy book, its using logic, using your head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

your google is the bible. 'free-thought' isnt quoting text from a holy book, its using logic, using your head

I use my head when thinking about passages generally. Not that the Biblical text is the only thing I ever read :)

Yes that's true but both are based upon the principal of something. I just think we see it different is all :) I'm not a christian (i still don't really know what that means) although i think the dude jesus had alot of good things to say. When people say "god". What brand of "god" do you think they are referring to?

No not really but i didn't believe in "god" untill a year (god equals unicorn) ago and now i do. My reality is mine and yours is yours, neither negate the other :)

Yes that's true but both are based upon the principal of something. I just think we see it different is all :) I'm not a christian (i still don't really know what that means) although i think the dude jesus had alot of good things to say. When people say "god". What brand of "god" do you think they are referring to?
    They are both based on a principal but on completely different ones. Faith makes a virtue of believing despite lack of knowledge and for the other that is the highest sin.

What brand they're referring to depends on the circumstances. Often arguments are made for some kind of generic creator with the unspoken assumption that doing so lends credence to an old story book (but not all the other old story books)

No not really but i didn't believe in "god" untill a year (god equals unicorn) ago and now i do. My reality is mine and yours is yours, neither negate the other :)

Neither might negate the other but suggesting that lack of faith is really a kind of faith is an attempt to negate my position, and a flawed one at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

BOARDS.IE IS SO NOT RELIGOUS LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

This is Europe, not America :pac:

I mean even the catholic church has officially recognised evolution.
    snip
    You? Debating about religion?? In my boards?! No way!!

A_SN wrote: »
    You? Debating about religion?? In my boards?! No way!!

I see......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

I see......
    It's fine, you're just a man who loves his big "reason vs faith" debates :D

A_SN wrote: »
    It's fine, you're just a man who loves his big "reason vs faith" debates :D

I see....

Advertisement