Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wireless for G3 iMac

• 26-12-2005 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

I have an old 333mhz imac, and I'm looking to add it into my home wireless network from my a Netopia wireless modem/router. The iMac has a network card, and USB ports, but I need a way of connecting it to the network, since its far away from the router, and I don't fancy stringing cables all over the house.

I'm pretty certain theres no airport card in the iMac too..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

you need an original apple airport. TBH the only way to pick one up at a near decent price is to buy on ebay.

You will also need the adaptor for your iMac.

Failing that, if you are using OSX you can use a DLink DWL-122 or DWL-G122 USB dongle. The drivers can be buggy apparantly. No OS 9 support for this one im afraid.

Lastly, you can use a "gaming" adaptor AKA wireless bridge. This is basically a wireless receiver with an ethernet port on it. This then plugs into your ethernet port on the iMac.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Yes, as above. I've benn searching for ages to connect mi G3 iMac to my wireless network and the only way is through ethernet bridge (roughly €70 or so afaik) or airport card.

So far I have been unable to find any 'usb dongle' which will work with the mac.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to get internet access through my PC laptop (which is connected to the network).

Advertisement