Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€1700 Gaming Build

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd guess it's for some sort of heavy-ish work with a decent bit of gaming on the side?

Swap the Toshiba drive for a WD Red. That's about the only thing that jump out.

Blu-ray necessary?

Steelseries H Wireless is also an option, but quite pricey. Depends on how much of a concern audio is.

H440 is kind of massive, and meant more for water. If there'll just be one GPU in there, you could always switch to mATX. The DS4 is a nice case for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Idunno442

I was looking at the case before, nzxt h440 has no external drive bays so nowhere to put the optical drive. I suppose you may be able to connect it using a usb extension or something.

Just a heads up, that kind of put me off the case, had read that its good for noise insulation.

I'm not exactly certain of something to suggest as an alternative though. I was looking at an Antec nine hundred two v3 which someone here had suggested me before. It's not really in all that similar to the nzxt though so may not be a great alternative. Comes in at ~$90 after geizhals discount.

Theres almost certainly a more suitable alternative. just thought I should suggest something and I would consider that case myself after reading favourable reviews for heating and sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Idunno442

I was looking at the case before, nzxt h440 has no external drive bays so nowhere to put the optical drive. I suppose you may be able to connect it using a usb extension or something.

Just a heads up, that kind of put me off the case, had read that its good for noise insulation.

I'm not exactly certain of something to suggest as an alternative though. I was looking at an Antec nine hundred two v3 which someone here had suggested me before. It's not really in all that similar to the nzxt though so may not be a great alternative. Comes in at ~€90 after geizhals discount.

Theres almost certainly a more suitable alternative. just thought I should suggest something and I would consider that case myself after reading favourable reviews for heating and sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Everything about the build can be changed as long as it still meets the demand at the top.
    He doesn't really like the big NXZT logo inside the window of the case and is looking at a Corsair Carbide 200r, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Why 2 monitors and 16gb of ram?

Why 100e on an air cooler when you could get an all in 1 water cooling unit for around the same money. Both are complete overkill for cooling a 4690.

Don't buy Toshiba HDD's. Get Western Digital or Seagate.

More information about exactly what the pc will be used for would help.

If it's only gaming and the budget is 1700 you should be aiming for 1440p or 4k.

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    Why 2 monitors and 16gb of ram?

Why 100e on an air cooler when you could get an all in 1 water cooling unit for around the same money. Both are complete overkill for cooling a 4690.

Don't buy Toshiba HDD's. Get Western Digital or Seagate.

More information about exactly what the pc will be used for would help.

If it's only gaming and the budget is 1700 you should be aiming for 1440p or 4k.
    16GB of RAM? Because the one with the biggest GBs!

Indeed it is gaming.
    He wants 2 monitors and is a careful sort of chap so the risk associated with Catleaps might be a bit much.

The AIO watercoolers are the same if not worse than that Noctua, louder too. Or so the legends say. And quietness would be welcome.

I thought I saw a report that the failure rate for Toshibas was the lowest of any HDD manufacturer?

That's that stupid one from BackBlaze that everyone keeps quoting, and it's really misleading. Now, I haven't looked up any stats on Toshiba's drives (yet), but WD's Reds are pretty good going by Newegg reviews.

If he's only gaming then 8gb of ram is more than enough.

Why does he want 2 monitors?

He could go for a 2560x1080p monitor like this which would run sweet with a single R9 290 which I'd get over the 770gtx anyday.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/73+cm+%2829%29/113764/LG+Electronics+29EA73-P.article

Or a single 120hz 1080p monitor.

I wouldn't pass much heed to reported HDD failure rates. The data sets used for a lot of these analysis are very skewed. A single product in a line can ruin these figures. WD and Seagate are the 2 big guns. I personally wouldn't buy HDD's from anyone else.

Western Digital would get my top vote as well.

If he's only gaming then 8gb of ram is more than enough.

Why does he want 2 monitors?

He could go for a 2560x1080p monitor like this which would run sweet with a single R9 290 which I'd get over the 770gtx anyday.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/73+cm+%2829%29/113764/LG+Electronics+29EA73-P.article

Or a single 120hz 1080p monitor.

I wouldn't pass much heed to reported HDD failure rates. The data sets used for a lot of these analysis are very skewed. A single product in a line can ruin these figures. WD and Seagate are the 2 big guns. I personally wouldn't buy HDD's from anyone else.

Western Digital would get my top vote as well.

He want's what he wants. I couldnt go back to a single moniter so I wouldn't try to convince him to.

An R9 290 is more money too. he is looking at a cheaper case so any money saved there can go towards a GPU bump.

As I said, the spec is final, but the parts are not.

I'm just asking why?

What are his intentions with 2 monitors? If he's going to have a game on 1 and a web page on the other then fine. If he plans on gaming on both monitors in a dual config then he is making a big mistake.

A 290 is only slightly more and his budget more than covers the cost of one, (even 2) The Club3d royalace version is only €330 and a far superior card to any 770gtx.

Spending €1700 on a 1080p gaming system is silly. (kindest word I can think of)

• Advertisement

I'm just asking why?

What are his intentions with 2 monitors? If he's going to have a game on 1 and a web page on the other then fine. If he plans on gaming on both monitors in a dual config then he is making a big mistake.

That's a strange assumption to make...
    Yeah games and web/media.
    A 290 is only slightly more and his budget more than covers the cost of one, (even 2) The Club3d royalace version is only €330 and a far superior card to any 770gtx.

Spending €1700 on a 1080p gaming system is silly. (kindest word I can think of)

Well I've asked you for more info several times and got no response so I've had to resort to assumptions and you still didn't answer the question.

Why do you think that's strange?

Do you think gaming with 2 monitors and having the borders in the center is a good idea?

With a budget of €1700 getting anything less than 2560x1080/1440 is madness.

With a budget of €1700 getting anything less than 2560x1080/1440 is madness.

Guilty. :)

Please tell me it was at least 120hz or several years ago, that's forgivable. :)

TN? **** right off.

Though there is about €500 worth of water cooling and fans in there, and then there's the eyesight bit that should probably get mentioned as well... possible mitigating factor...

That said, I have been looking into a new monitor, I'm just waiting for something non-TN with G-Sync to show up first, and in the mean time my 2412M suits me fine.

I'm with you on that.

Screen tearing and vsync are the biggest issues I have with gaming on my own PC at the moment.

I'll be jumping on g-sync or preferably open source alternative when it's readily available.

I wish all game developers would at least include frame rate limiting options in their game engines.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Steelseries H Wireless is also an option, but quite pricey. Depends on how much of a concern audio is.

Yikes! Just Amazoned those. €320 is indeed quite pricey.

Advertisement