Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HP Networking Simulator

• 26-08-2014 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭

HP have released their networking simulator today and I've been playing around with it. For disclosure, I do work for HP and in a networking team but I'm not associated with this free tool outside of that. I thought this might be of interest to people here.

http://www.hp.com/networking/hns

At first glance, I'm not incredibly impressed as I feel that really should have beefed up the GUI and not went with the config based setup at the moment.

They released a Comware 7 VM image recently which has most router functionality but is limited to 5Mbps throughput, so I'm guessing its based off that. Similar to the VSR1000v from Cisco.

But good point is this has a huge collection of Switch types, router types and card types listed. Its actually quite comparable to Packet tracer, with the perk that it can talk outside its own environment.

You have to install virtualbox, then run the HP installer. If you installed the latest Virtualbox, then you have to RTFM and drop in a environment variable to get it running.

Installed, its pretty much a stop, start with text config. No real GUI in comparison to GNS3, access is either through virtualbox on screen or telnet into assigned IP's.

I don't think they did a very good job of explaining the device types. I'm guessing that are emulating the different H3C router types? They probably should have compared the VM's against their actual product range.

I'm also curious to see if anything besides the Ethernet ports can get through the virtualbox adapters.

I've got two weeks of CCNP labs ahead of me so I'm going to see if I can implement split vendors between GNS3/IOS, Comware and IOS-XE(vsr1000v) to get some broader experience. If I can get my head around the interconnects. Lets see if this stuff can do OSPF/BGP.

Advertisement