Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pay for DC adaptors or POE

Options
  • 25-08-2014 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

First off I am not very good at networking! Just trying to set up a small office and stumbling along trying to figure these things out.

Basically I have bought a PBX with phones that have the option of PoE or a 5V DC adaptor. I thought the 24 port switch I had was PoE but it doesnt. So I am trying to decide which is cheaper/cost effective to upgrade the switches or just pay for the adaptors (about €10 per phone). We will have 14 phones in the office. There are 2 six desk hubs which will have to connect to a 8 port switch each, a reception desk which goes directly into the 24 port switch and a conference room which has the VOIP phone directly connected to the main 24 port switch.

I have included a simple network diagram below.

First question is if I was to upgrade the switches would they all have to be PoE or can the main 24 port switch be PoE with the smaller 8 port switches just being standard non PoE?
    Or can you do it visa versa; 8 port switches are PoE with the main 24 port switch not being PoE.

The only problem with this option is the reception and conference room phone cant use PoE but that may be better. I havent bought the 2 smaller 8 port switches yet all I have is the 24 port main switch which is a Zyxel GS1100-24 (i cant post links as I am a "new user")

I hope this makes sense, I probably explained it awfully! Thanks in advance for any help

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

He couldn’t upload images or links since he is a new user so asked me to do it. I have attached the image.

Link to router: http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/gs1100_series.shtml?t=p

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭KrakityJones

Personally I'd go for the switch, those individual POE adaptors are messy, you need to supply power to them so you have your main ethernet cable going into it, another going out to the phone, plus power cable. They can clutter up a space pretty quick. Also most of those are only 10/100MB - you'll pick up a gigabit switch cheap enough at this stage. You also don't need everything to be POE, just where the phones are going to be connected to.

Shouldn't cost much to swop your two 8 port Non-POE switches to 8 port POE (or 16 port to allow for expansion).

You mind me asking why you have those 2 ports and not just bringing the phones directly back to your main cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 elmsolutions

Thanks very much for that. The reason that we have two 6 desk "hubs" for want of a better word. We dont have enough wall rj45 sockets so we have a switch at each hub. Would we be better off paying to get enough ports mounted on the wall and paying for one big PoE switch as opposed to two smaller PoE switches?

Thanks again

Ah ok, nah it'll cost you to get an electrician in to wire in new sockets. The 2 smaller hubs won't affect performance once you've got gigabit ones, and every other one is gigabit also. Actually, I had to get a 48 port switch a few weeks back and it worked out cheaper getting two 24 port ones.

Hp have a 2530 series 8 port poe (gigabit) for about 400 quid (where I get stuff, might get them cheaper elsewhere.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 elmsolutions

Yeah it seems that way, cheaper the bigger you go. The PoE seems to be such a premium. And the most frustrating is a lot of the 8 port switches have 4 PoE out of the 8 and we need 6 PoE. Thanks again for your help!

• Advertisement

Have a look at this one : http://www.pcsystems.ie/hp-2530-8g-poe-switch?filter_name=POE%20Switch

All 8 ports are full gigabit with POE, and as far as I can make out you can use the additional 2 ports as up/downlinks so your 8 are completely useable, not a bad switch for the price I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I guess that the OP has already bought the switches he needed by now, but ffs why not just try typing 8 port gigabit poe into amazon and find one for 95 quid .... plus maybe a tenner or fifteen quid for delivery to Ireland
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Gigabit-Smart-Switch-Fiber/dp/B003GOFIBS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410164865&sr=8-3&keywords=8+port+poe+gigabit+switch

It is a 802.3af switch (means 13watts per port) with a bandwidth is 20Gb full duplex so every port can go full belt at the same time.

Advertisement