Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mc ardles ale

• 19-08-2014 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

I am a smithwicks drinker and live near Louth and would have tried mc ardles a good bit in the past. Haven't seen it in a pub for a while. Picked up a few cams of it in an offie at the weekend and have to say tastes quite nice. Most definitely nicer than a can of smithwicks. Does anyone know what's happened mc ardles, where's it brewed and if it's still available in any pubs?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The brewery closed in 2000 and as far as I know production was moved across the way to Great Northern, though I understand Diageo moved production of all its beers around all its Irish breweries to some extent.

Great Northern closed late last year. I haven't heard anything about Macardles being discontinued so I'd say they're still brewing it, in Dublin. Mulligan's in Poolbeg Street generally have it on draught. Loads of pubs have it bottled but that generally involves a tippy-toe peering over the bar to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Have to say I'm a fan of the pint bottle of McArdles. I do find it tough to get these days though.

Smithwicks pint bottle is great too. My local off license gets me a couple of crates every Christmas .cant remember the cost though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BeerNut wrote: »
    Mulligan's in Poolbeg Street generally have it on draught.

They have it on their craft beer list and charge something like €4.90 for it even though it's around 3.3% - the canned version is around 3.8% like Bass but the draught version is considerably less, from what I observed (unless I read the 3.8 as 3.3 but I remember double checking). I once considered it but then went for one of the real craft options they have.

Kennedy's on Westland Row also have it on draught. Ned's of Townsend Street have bottles 'on the shelf' or in the fridge for around a fiver too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ravelleman wrote: »
    They have it on their craft beer list and charge something like €4.90 for it even though it's around 3.3% - the canned version is around 3.8% like Bass but the draught version is considerably less, from what I observed (unless I read the 3.8 as 3.3 but I remember double checking). I once considered it but then went for one of the real craft options they have.

Kennedy's on Westland Row also have it on draught. Ned's of Townsend Street have bottles 'on the shelf' or in the fridge for around a fiver too.

It's 4% in the can, says he with certainty as he grabbed an empty from beside him :) Bottled, it's 4 as well but I'm unsure what it is in the keg.

While it's no Kinnegar or O'Hara's, McArdles is a half decent beer and arguably the best Diageo product on the market. It is the last of the old locals beer left in Ireland, even if isn't brewed locally any more (It's brewed in Dublin now, since Diageo annexed it's out of town facilities.) and it is virtually ignored by the marketing guys. It was certainly on sale in O'Neills a while ago and I've seen it in the Palace. Darkey Kelly's have it as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

It's 4% inthe can, says he with certainty as he grabbed an empty from beside him :) Bottled, it's 4 as well but I'm unsure what it is in the keg.

Very interesting. Has that always been the case? I've only ever had it one or two times but always thought it was less than 4%. I could easily be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

dunnes carried it for a while ago ( 2-5 years?)think it was 4% alright as i have standards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Widely available in pubs in Waterford city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭squonk

I haven't had it in ages. Used to drink pint bottles in Nealons in Skerries when I lived there. Lovely beer and far nicer than Smithwicks I've always thought.

Advertisement