Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Grayditch wrote: »
    Banned?!

Banned for a month for being too angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Had the buried at sea on cask in black sheep. Really enjoyed it but actually feel like it could do with being less chilled. Definitely prefer it over keg though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Does The Duke sell anything decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Just wait and see how angry he is when he gets back and finds some of us have been smack talking the various Galway Bay beers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Does The Duke sell anything decent?

O'Hara's IPA on draught and bottles of their stout. They also do Five Lamps lager, which is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Had the buried at sea on cask in black sheep. Really enjoyed it but actually feel like it could do with being less chilled. Definitely prefer it over keg though.

How much was it on cask?

Passenger wrote: »
    How much was it on cask?

€5.40 I believe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

irish_goat wrote: »
    how much is a half pint of Foam and Fury in the pubs?
    2/3 pint is €5.75.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

hynesie08 wrote: »
    €5.40 I believe.

Draught is €5.50. Or it was recently anyway.

BeerNut wrote: »
    2/3 pint is €5.75
    I think I paid €5.50 for the glass in the Black Sheep on Saturday.

So €5.75 for 379ml => €0.015 per ml

And €6.70 for a 500ml bottle => €0.013 per ml

Not a huge saving for getting a bottle from an offy. Although you could argue that there's a big saving for buying it on draught.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

I picked up 2 bottles of foam & fury for €4 each in Fairview
    They were still waiting to be told the price from the supplier when I called in.
    I was in brew dock last night and the barman said he thought it would be around €6. While I failed to mention this in the offie I did say if it turned out to be more expensive I would pay the difference next time I was in.

I've just been in Drinkstore and they have boxes of Foam and Fury on the floor waiting to be priced. Ken told me it's going to be €6.70 a bottle.
    I'll pass.
    Having a Kinsale pale ale at he moment - it's quite nice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Heroditas wrote: »
    Something that ended up in the bargain bin?

Scratch that. I just went and searched my old e-mails. The drink is the same price now as it was in September. I just assumed a 14% beer would have cost more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think I paid €5.50 for the glass in the Black Sheep on Saturday.

So €5.75 for 379ml => €0.015 per ml

And €6.70 for a 500ml bottle => €0.013 per ml

Not a huge saving for getting a bottle from an offy. Although you could argue that there's a big saving for buying it on draught.
    Is 2/3 pint not 315mls???
    So in the pub 5.75e for 315ml= 18.3cent per ml
    Bottle is more acc 13.4cent per ml

So lets compare 500mls of each
    Bottle we know 6.70
    Draught 9.15

So you end up at at 27% saving on buying the bottle at home v having it in the pub.

adamski8 wrote: »
    Is 2/3 pint not 315mls???
    So in the pub 5.75e for 315ml= 18.3cent per ml
    Bottle is more acc 13.4cent per ml

So lets compare 500mls of each
    Bottle we know 6.70
    Draught 9.15

So you end up at at 27% saving on buying the bottle at home v having it in the pub.

A pint is 568ml

Passenger wrote: »
    Draught is €5.50. Or it was recently anyway.

yeah, he put the first one through as a pint of b.a.s, but then he started putting them through as a cask ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Drinking an Odell IPA at the moment, cant go wrong with it really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Personally, I think that's an extraordinary price for a beer that's made in Ireland, even if it is 8.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Personally, I think that's an extraordinary price for a beer that's made in Ireland, even if it is 8.5%.

After an initial 'honeymoon' period, I cant imagine it selling well at that price when you can get the likes of cans of Torpedo for €3.70

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Yeah. I justified paying near that for Ruination cause it was imported. I know GB are a small brewery in the grand scheme of things and their beer is of high quality, but that won't be a regular pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Grayditch wrote: »
    Yeah. I justified paying near that for Ruination cause it was imported. I know GB are a small brewery in the grand scheme of things and their beer is of high quality, but that won't be a regular pick up.
    Would like to hear about how taxation affects price from someone in the know (e.g. Beernut). And why practically the same price in the pub than the off licence?

Back of a fag packet calculation time - Ruination is around 14 dollars for a six pack in the states, I make that about 4.75 a litre in euros. OFAF is coming out at 13.40 a litre.

At these prices there can be no craft beer revolution here akin to the one seen in the states. Beer is supposed to be an everyman drink, people simply wont pay these prices. And it goes a long way to explaining why when I went to The Headline tonight there were 20 odd taps of 4-5% abv frankly pretty boring beer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

drumswan wrote: »
    Would like to hear about how taxation affects price from someone in the know (e.g. Beernut). And why practically the same price in the pub than the off licence?
    I make it about 95c of excise duty due on each bottle of Of Foam and Fury* (€22.85*8.5 / 200). But the price is down to what the maker thinks people will buy it for. It'll work or it won't.
    At these prices there can be no craft beer revolution here akin to the one seen in the states.
    Bear in mind that Dublin is in no way representative of beer prices in Ireland. If you want to compare like with like, look at how the beer scene and pricing in Dublin compares with London or New York.
    there were 20 odd taps of 4-5% abv frankly pretty boring beer.
    I've been saying it for a while: in Dublin we're overdue our Kernel. But we're even more attached to "the pint" than the English are, and that's automatically a limiting factor for a brewer trying to make a living, IMO.

*Edit: Of which the brewery gets half back, so 48c net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

A pint is 568ml

Sorry! Thats what i get for letting google do my conversion, was using a bloody US pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The OFAF is pricey enough. I will buy a bottle but if its very good/excellent then probably buy a bottle every now and again.

It's also a bit cheeky from a brewery that made a total balls up of their first excursions into the bottled beer market. Still feel a bit ripped off about that........although I haven't lost any sleep about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

It's also a bit cheeky from a brewery that made a total balls up of their first excursions into the bottled beer market. Still feel a bit ripped off about that........although I haven't lost any sleep about it.

Yeah I understand its a pity I cant use my Beoir vouchers to buy the bottles!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Ravelleman wrote: »

Absolutely. None of the attempts on this thread at justifying that price are convincing. I really like Foam and Fury but at this price I doubt I'll even buy one bottle of it. It seems particularly outrageous when I can get two bottles (710ml) of, say, Founders Centennial IPA for less.

Incidentally, I was in The Oslo earlier in the week and was told by the barman that the Galway Bay loyalty cards are being discontinued. He said all the ones currently out there will be honoured, but they won't be issuing new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

It is an outrageous price, but as BeerNut said, it's the price they think people will pay. Same as the extortionate BrewDog draught prices. Maybe we were all too quick to praise OFAF, as now they probably feel most of us are going to begrudgingly buy a bottle anyway, regardless of the price.
    I'll probably buy a bottle, but if it's as dear as people are saying here then I'll be sticking to Founders and Odell for my DIPA needs from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'll be joining the "not even one bottle at that price" club.
    Completely taking the pish. If they can't produce it any cheaper than that - they really shouldn't bother producing it at all. I don't think this pricing strategy is going to work for them. It makes the Nogne O range seem like a bargain !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Dont think I'll be buying any either. Its about perception, I can justify to myself the outlay on a world acclaimed, super rare beer from miles away imported under strict conditions of the brewer and lashed out of it with export and import taxes, but not for a beer produced by a local brewer.

GB have an distinct air of price gouging about them - the only other brewpub in Dublin is charging far less for beer of arguably better quality.

Then again, their selection of imports is unparalleled, so if you want to drink interesting beer theres nowhere else to go really, so I guess they can charge what they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Be better off buying a litre of Kinsale Pale Ale for roughly the same price, or as Ruben Remus said, two Founders Centennials for less.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement