Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband options in Mount Oval (Rochestown)

Options
  • 16-11-2013 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm moving into Mount Oval shortly and investigating my broadband options.
    I'm not really interested in UPC or Sky as I don't watch much TV. I mainly
    stream the little I do watch on an iPad. I noticed Meteor are rolling out 4G.
    Any idea what might be my best option in this locality?

Cheers
    Max :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

€30 pm 350 gb allowance from Smart Telecom on a land line. 4g will have a miserable data allowance. The dongles are smashingly frustrating to use and also have miserable data allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 alanshep

I would not advise Meteor broadband. Very poor speeds and even poorer customer service to back it up. I'm in Carrigaline.

alanshep wrote: »
    I would not advise Meteor broadband. Very poor speeds and even poorer customer service to back it up. I'm in Carrigaline.

Are you talking about the dongle?

yes the huawei (spelling ??) wifi device

alanshep wrote: »
    yes the huawei (spelling ??) wifi device

Horrible little things with a shitty data allowance that if exceeded drains your credit.

I remember having to go for walks to stop myself from smashing my laptop calm down after dealing with Meteor customer service.

• Advertisement

Havent had any issues with data overrun - mainly because my bandwidth is so ****e :]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Max001 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I'm moving into Mount Oval shortly and investigating my broadband options.
    I'm not really interested in UPC or Sky as I don't watch much TV. I mainly
    stream the little I do watch on an iPad. I noticed Meteor are rolling out 4G.
    Any idea what might be my best option in this locality?

Cheers
    Max :)

Mount Oval Does not have efibre at the moment as O'Flynn Construction are having legal Issues with eircom and not allowing them install the efibre cabinets within the estate. These cabinets are installed all over the country without a problem but there is some "big" issue with Oflynns not allowing them to do the work.

They can be contacted at their Ballincollig office if you want further info or excuses. I will be calling again myself to check on progress in a few days.

Other wise I am getting a steady 5mb down and that is the most my line can take I hear from the providers.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 13 feenabop

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Mount Oval Does not have efibre at the moment as O'Flynn Construction are having legal Issues with eircom and not allowing them install the efibre cabinets within the estate. These cabinets are installed all over the country without a problem but there is some "big" issue with Oflynns not allowing them to do the work.

They can be contacted at their Ballincollig office if you want further info or excuses. I will be calling again myself to check on progress in a few days.

Other wise I am getting a steady 5mb down and that is the most my line can take I hear from the providers.

What are they saying the BIG issue is, and is there any sign of it being resolved ? it should have been in months ago - from what I can see the boxes are there but are not active. Fecking disgrace, the only people losing out are the people living there - usual ****e

they wouldn't go into what the issues were because they were legal issues.:confused: They have the fiber pulled to the existing cabs because I saw them at last year but as far as I am aware they need to build a new cab next to the existing one( about the same size maybe a bit smaller) so there is a very small bit of digging.

So even if they get the go ahead tomorrow :rolleyes: it will be a few months before its live

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jimmyboy2013

The latest update I got from O'flynns 22nd November follows;

We have made good progress with Eircom over the past number of days. We expect to engage in further discussion today. We are much closer today to resolving this position that we were a week ago. Rest assured that as soon as the matter is resolved I will covey that message to you immediately.

O'Flynns from the 6th November

I can confirm O’Flynn Construction are currently working with Eircom to resolve this matter. Eircom have plans to upgrade the fibre and they are currently working on this. We are confident that we will be able to resolve this matter in the short term.

If I don't hear anything by next week, I will follow up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

If I don't hear anything by next week, I will follow up again.

Thanks for this, been regularly checking Vodafone and Eircom for it to be available. My Vodafone landline broadband is a woeful 3.7 Mbps. Bit mad O'flynns are the cause of delay, you would imagine fast services would be a selling point to off load vacant units.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jimmyboy2013

O'Flynns emailed me on Thursday to advise that matters with Eircom have now been resolved. Eircom now have permission to fibre the mount oval cabinets. I would expect fibre to be available sometime early Jan 2014. If not then I will continue to chase O'Flynns.

O'Flynns emailed me on Thursday to advise that matters with Eircom have now been resolved. Eircom now have permission to fibre the mount oval cabinets. I would expect fibre to be available sometime early Jan 2014. If not then I will continue to chase O'Flynns.

Thanks for all the updates, glad to hear its resolved - now lets see how long it will take them to get it in, c'mon ta feck

I've heard that eircom customers in maryborough woods are getting 25 mb at best on the Eircom 70 mb fibre connection, which is about a mile closer to the exchange in douglas than mount oval ;( but at least the connection wouldn't be dropping every 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Distance to the exchange is irrelevant. Distance to the cabinet your line is connected to is what matters.

Are there cabinets in Mount Oval? I know there is one at the corner of Clarkes Hill and Coach Hill but haven't noticed anymore in the area. I am in Thornbury and we cant get eFibre either even though all surrounding estates can. VERY annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Ludo wrote: »
    Distance to the exchange is irrelevant. Distance to the cabinet your line is connected to is what matters.

Are there cabinets in Mount Oval? I know there is one at the corner of Clarkes Hill and Coach Hill but haven't noticed anymore in the area. I am in Thornbury and we cant get eFibre either even though all surrounding estates can. VERY annoying.

The distance to the exchange only comes into the equation if traditional copper cable is being used. If fiber optic cable is in the cabinet then happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

Looks like today is works day, contractors in Mount oval village estate erecting the new efibre cabinets!! Previously the closest cabinet was by the bus stop on Rochestown road 1km away from my house, new cabinet less than 50 meters! Hopefully that means going from 5mb to 50 to 70 mb?

Looks like today is works day, contractors in Mount oval village estate erecting the new efibre cabinets!! Previously the closest cabinet was by the bus stop on Rochestown road 1km away from my house, new cabinet less than 50 meters! Hopefully that means going from 5mb to 50 to 70 mb?

Excellent, if we don't get it before xmas it should be very soon after - it's on the way, that's the main thing woohoo, finally!!!

At long Fe**ing last:rolleyes:, I was just about to post my self that they had started, must have just past ya as I was driving by at that time. I presume that it will be after Christmas maybe Feb at the earliest. I think I read in the FFTC form here on boards that there is a 30 day holding period after its up and running to allow all the providers get their stuff together before it can be released to the public. But I could be wrong.

What I am pissed off is that Santa is getting me an Xbox One and I have about 70gb of updates and downloads to do before I can get up and running and with only 5md down at best atm It will be new years before I can do some murdering in Call of Duty:(

Any updates as to when Mt Oval might actually be getting efibre ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Neighboursfreak

feenabop wrote: »
    feenabop wrote: »

I rang Eircom this week. And they said a date of early March was coming up on their system.

Does anyone know if there any more of the new efibre boxes being installed in the park? Would one do for the whole place?

There is at least one other traditional green junction box (at the back of the apartments, where the old site manager office is located.) If that doesn't get a new box next to it, does that mean the houses that are serviced through that location will not be able to get fibre?

I am a bit worried about that also, as I think I would be served off this cab....

There are at least 2 cabs in Mount oval.One at the entrance on the right as you go in past the traffic lights and one further up the main road on the left beyond the shop.

So that's three cabs then. But only 1 fibre cab installed. Is this normal?

No the two I mentioned above are both new fibre cabs. Haven't seen the third one you mention at the back of the apts so don't know about that. Should be easy to tell though. Did they put a new one in next to it?

Ludo wrote: »
    There are at least 2 cabs in Mount oval.One at the entrance on the right as you go in past the traffic lights and one further up the main road on the left beyond the shop.

I went past that one by the entrance (if its the one on the pedestrian cuthrough by the silver railing) but I couldn't see a fibre box. Are you sure it's there?

I also found this 4th one. It's near the duplex apartments at the start of Rowan Hill.

So far the one I showed before still had no fibre box next to it.

I am kicking myself that when I spotted the lads working on the cabs a few weeks ago I didnt ask them how many and which ones they were doing. :o

I went past that one by the entrance (if its the one on the pedestrian cuthrough by the silver railing) but I couldn't see a fibre box. Are you sure it's there?

Yep...checked again there as I was just driving out of Mount Oval. Definitely a fibre cabinet. It is on the left about 20 metres before you hit the traffic lights just as the road curves slightly to the left before curving slightly right again approaching the exit on the way out onto Clarkes Hill.

Message has changed for mt oval on their website when running a check - anyone get anymore updates or has anyone actually gotten it yet ?

eFibre is available in your area but your address is not yet enabled.

• Advertisement

Just called eircom and talked to one of their sales team.

Anyway he said APRIL 2014 for roll out/live in mount oval. Well that's clarkes wood anway, I am a bit worried that our cab doesnt have the efibre cab next to it. Its extreamly frustrating.......:mad: :mad::mad:

Advertisement