Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lack of new routes at Cork airport

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

Is the Runway / Instruments etc at Cork Airport capable of handling transatlantic aircraft?

I remember a 747 landing there yonks ago to celebrate some opening or another, but I'm pretty sure it was empty and not fully loaded with passengers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

SeaFields wrote: »
    A lot of the arguments around Cork getting transatlantic seem to focus on it being a route for us to get over the the states but the other side of it is we are an hour from Killarney, which has a massive influx of tourists from the states. Surely marketing Cork as such an easy gateway to Kerry would also bolster its numbers on an transatlantic route.

IMO transatlantic flights to and from Cork should centre around this argument ie. 1,000,000 passenger flights into Cork per annum versus approx a catchement area of 500,000 of which only generate approx 50,000 passenger flights from Cork.

I think the who of the Cork/Kerry tourist board should get on board this idea as it would boost tourism in this area. Even getting figures for tourism is difficult as Kerry is sometimes seen as part of the Shannon region.....:rolleyes:

Also I would expect Ryanair to announce new routes from Cork in Jan/Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Is the Runway / Instruments etc at Cork Airport capable of handling transatlantic aircraft?

I remember a 747 landing there yonks ago to celebrate some opening or another, but I'm pretty sure it was empty and not fully loaded with passengers ...

In May 2006, a 747 took off from the airport going to B'ham - it was full of Munster fans going to the HEC Final in Cardiff - the operator told us the flight was to Bristol, and then changed it late on.

It was def a 747 - I was upstairs - the guy behind me asked the Pilot/co-pilot if it was safe to land etc at Cork airport - the pilot said there was no issue.

I will say, that as it was a day trip, there would have been little luggage on board.

I suspect the larger, loaded aircraft would have problems with the (longest) runway length of 2100m http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_Airport

but I'm sure there are alternatives.

I would love to see a few new routes to get the place going again - I know transatlantic routes are the holy grail - I'd be happy with a few European routes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Boeing 757 is capable of transatlantic operations. This is what would be used if cork got a route to the US

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

I flew out of Cork with Aer Lingus/Aer Arann last weekend to Birmingham...ended up in Luton due to fog in B'ham and we were bussed back to B'ham, arrived over 4 hours late. :rolleyes: Grand I said, bit annoying, but not too much, I wont let it ruin the holiday, these things happen.
    2 days later we were meant to fly back to Cork from B'ham but there was "technical issues" and the flight was cancelled. Options we were given were 1) fly to Dublin and be bussed down to cork or 2) be transferred to a flight to Cork the next day. We chose the flight the next day to Cork, I didnt fancy a 3+ hour bus journey that evening. Next morning we got to the airport to once again be told that the flight to Cork was cancelled, again citing "technical issues". Chose the flight to Dublin this time and bus down to Cork. If that is the sort of service that comes with travelling from Cork airport (Aer lingus regional) I can safely say I wont be flying from there again. Id rather fly from Dublin.

They might need to sort this aspect of flying from Cork before they try to bite off a bit more. Fog apparently is a major factor with alot of cancelled regional flights but we were never told what the technical issues actually were. This kind of thing leaves a bad taste in the mouth and will put people off the airport as a whole..it certainly has done it to me.

• Advertisement

Demonical wrote: »
    I flew out of Cork with Aer Lingus/Aer Arann last weekend to Birmingham...ended up in Luton due to fog in B'ham and we were bussed back to B'ham, arrived over 4 hours late. :rolleyes: Grand I said, bit annoying, but not too much, I wont let it ruin the holiday, these things happen.
    2 days later we were meant to fly back to Cork from B'ham but there was "technical issues" and the flight was cancelled. Options we were given were 1) fly to Dublin and be bussed down to cork or 2) be transferred to a flight to Cork the next day. We chose the flight the next day to Cork, I didnt fancy a 3+ hour bus journey that evening. Next morning we got to the airport to once again be told that the flight to Cork was cancelled, again citing "technical issues". Chose the flight to Dublin this time and bus down to Cork. If that is the sort of service that comes with travelling from Cork airport (Aer lingus regional) I can safely say I wont be flying from there again. Id rather fly from Dublin.

They might need to sort this aspect of flying from Cork before they try to bite off a bit more. Fog apparently is a major factor with alot of cancelled regional flights but we were never told what the technical issues actually were. This kind of thing leaves a bad taste in the mouth and will put people off the airport as a whole..it certainly has done it to me.

what has technical issues with the plane got to do with the airport? :confused:

Aer Lingus regional flights from Dublin can (and do) have technical issues as well, in fact on some routes they use the exact planes you fly on from Cork. of all the things you could blame on Cork Airport, technical faults with planes is not one of them.

also blaming Cork airport for Birmingham based Aer Lingus Regional employees not telling you what the technical fault was is a bit of a leap to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I flew out of Cork with Aer Lingus/Aer Arann last weekend to Birmingham...ended up in Luton due to fog in B'ham

There was fog in Birmingham, what has that to do with Cork Airport?

and we were bussed back to B'ham, arrived over 4 hours late. :rolleyes: Grand I said, bit annoying, but not too much, I wont let it ruin the holiday, these things happen.
    2 days later we were meant to fly back to Cork from B'ham but there was "technical issues" and the flight was cancelled.

As mentioned above by a fellow poster, what has a technical problem with an aircraft got to do with Cork Airport?

Options we were given were 1) fly to Dublin and be bussed down to cork or 2) be transferred to a flight to Cork the next day. We chose the flight the next day to Cork, I didnt fancy a 3+ hour bus journey that evening. Next morning we got to the airport to once again be told that the flight to Cork was cancelled, again citing "technical issues". Chose the flight to Dublin this time and bus down to Cork. If that is the sort of service that comes with travelling from Cork airport (Aer lingus regional) I can safely say I wont be flying from there again. Id rather fly from Dublin.

Again i am at a loss as to how a technical problem has anything to do with Cork Airport. Believe or not technical problems also prevent planes from flying into Dublin as well or any airport for that matter. Thing is in order to get to an airport a plane needs to be able to fly there.

You were never told what the technical problem was therefore you are assuming its fog. I am sure Aircoach will be delighted with your custom, I pray there is no weather which may affect your coach trip to Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

what has technical issues with the plane got to do with the airport? :confused:

Aer Lingus regional flights from Dublin can (and do) have technical issues as well, in fact on some routes they use the exact planes you fly on from Cork. of all the things you could blame on Cork Airport, technical faults with planes is not one of them.

also blaming Cork airport for Birmingham based Aer Lingus Regional employees not telling you what the technical fault was is a bit of a leap to be fair.

I was trying to say that the technical issues were hinted to be fog in Cork airport by certain airport staff, hence the flights were cancelled. I was also saying that if Aer Lingus regional gain/have a bad reputation it wont help Cork airport as they fly from that airport. Why would people bother with Aer Lingus and Cork airport when other carriers from other airports would be more reliable?

blindsider wrote: »
    In May 2006, a 747 took off from the airport going to B'ham - it was full of Munster fans going to the HEC Final in Cardiff - the operator told us the flight was to Bristol, and then changed it late on.

It was def a 747 - I was upstairs - the guy behind me asked the Pilot/co-pilot if it was safe to land etc at Cork airport - the pilot said there was no issue.

I will say, that as it was a day trip, there would have been little luggage on board.

I suspect the larger, loaded aircraft would have problems with the (longest) runway length of 2100m http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_Airport

but I'm sure there are alternatives.

I would love to see a few new routes to get the place going again - I know transatlantic routes are the holy grail - I'd be happy with a few European routes too.

You are correct it was indeed a 747, a few have been used over the years for short hop charters for rugby games and Lourdes etc.
    747's on short runs will use less runway as there is hardly any baggage and fuel levels are also low, therefore there is no issue with Cork.
    I cannot ever see the demand there for a 747 from Cork to US, besides the possible extra weight from baggage and fuel would probably restrict such an aircraft.
    What is ideal is the 747's little sister the 757 which is just a little bigger than the Ryanair machines. These planes already operate transatlantic to destinations even as far into Europe as Germany. Also they are used as charter flights on bucket and spade flights in the summer ex Cork to Spain etc, so they would do the job nicely.
    What is annoying is the fact that Aer Lingus will be hiring in 3 of these planes early next year to use them for flights to US and Canada ex Dublin and Shannon. Would have been great to even have a once a week flight to JFK just for starters.

I was trying to say that the technical issues were hinted to be fog in Cork airport by certain airport staff, hence the flights were cancelled. I was also saying that if Aer Lingus regional gain/have a bad reputation it wont help Cork airport as they fly from that airport. Why would people bother with Aer Lingus and Cork airport when other carriers from other airports would be more reliable?

it's very, very strange that they wouldn't clearly tell passengers it was due to weather conditions. It's normally the first thing they would tell stranded passengers as it takes the blame away from the airline and on to the something they have no control over... the weather!

There's not much Cork airport can do about an airlines reputation. Especially considering the same airline will fly from other airports to the same destinations. There have been plenty of flights cancelled in Dublin due to technical issues etc and it hasn't harmed their reputation any.

Especially so as you'd consider spending 4/5 hours extra travelling time to get where you want to go, just because you perceive it to be more reliable without any evidence!

• Advertisement

You had a bad experience, indeed Fog does affect Cork airport, as that recent accident proves. Only problem is Fog can affect any airport and infairness to Aer Rianta a few years ago they upgraded the approach radar for aircraft in fog conditions so diversions are now a lot less than what they used to be.

Also if Aer Lingus Regional do gain a bad rep, surely that will affect all airports they operate from, its not as if their HQ is Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The first was an Aer Lingus 747 when they extended the main runway, here is a selection of some of the others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EUYfCEe8mY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

kub wrote: »
    The first was an Aer Lingus 747 when they extended the main runway, here is a selection of some of the others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EUYfCEe8mY

I am pretty sure I went on one of them to Lourdes a few(more than 10:D) years back......

Would be great to see them come in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

kub wrote: »
    You had a bad experience, indeed Fog does affect Cork airport, as that recent accident proves. Only problem is Fog can affect any airport and infairness to Aer Rianta a few years ago they upgraded the approach radar for aircraft in fog conditions so diversions are now a lot less than what they used to be.

Also if Aer Lingus Regional do gain a bad rep, surely that will affect all airports they operate from, its not as if their HQ is Cork.

I fly Cork every week and rarely have an issue. Yeah fog can be a problem depending on the time of year but overall it's good. There is an issue with passenger information sometimes, but in terms of flights I've no issue on operational.

As for routes, yes very limited. Dare I say the retail side of the airport just about copes with existing flights.....The Loop is ok...but nothing else there and the Last Post bar either has nobody queuing or 20 people queuing. How would it cope with transatlantic. The main restaurant should be airside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Andip wrote: »
    As for routes, yes very limited. Dare I say the retail side of the airport just about copes with existing flights.....The Loop is ok...but nothing else there and the Last Post bar either has nobody queuing or 20 people queuing. How would it cope with transatlantic. The main restaurant should be airside.

very good point actually, I never thought about the capacity for eateries airside. That bar at the end is painful, never seems to have enough staff when needed.

They do have height though, could they perhaps build a mezzanine floor to add extra seating space for a restaurant/food court?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I imagine if they ever wanted to, they could make the main restaurant be airside very quickly. It should just be a matter of moving the glass wall from where it is currently on the air side to the other side near security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

just booked a trip to Nice. opted for Shannon instead of cork, one reason was the time of the return flight but Shannon worked out at 50 euro cheaper return each. not the 1st time the flights from Shannon same day same destination worked out cheaper. doesn't exactly attract people from outside of cork city ie north cork, Tipperary that are within the same catchment area for both to use cork airport. Ive noticed it with flights to London heathrow too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Depends where you are living alright on whether that is a false economy. If you live in cork city, that's a 250km drive and petrol costs, plus a toll charge... Taking 1hr 40 mins each way.

that's the thing, grand if your from cork city and the surrounding areas. if however your from the likes of Cashel, Thurles, Templemore etc there isn't much in the difference of travel to either airport. These are the areas that they could attract people from to increase passengers to cork airport but they wont be attracted to it with such price difference. Being from mid Tipp, I have often heard people say o I never though of using cork even though its just over an hr down the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

that's the thing, grand if your from cork city and the surrounding areas. if however your from the likes of Cashel, Thurles, Templemore etc there isn't much in the difference of travel to either airport. These are the areas that they could attract people from to increase passengers to cork airport but they wont be attracted to it with such price difference. Being from mid Tipp, I have often heard people say o I never though of using cork even though its just over an hr down the motorway.

We'd all like cheaper prices for everything but Cork airport's main catchment area is basically just the Cork region. It can't compete with Dublins route selection and economies of scale which make their flights cheaper, or the political clout of the Shannon lobby.

If you're from mid-Tipp, then chances are it'll always work out cheaper or handier logistically speaking to travel via Dublin or Shannon

TINA1984 wrote: »
    We'd all like cheaper prices for everything but Cork airport's main catchment area is basically just the Cork region. It can't compete with Dublins route selection and economies of scale which make their flights cheaper, or the political clout of the Shannon lobby.

If you're from mid-Tipp, then chances are it'll always work out cheaper or handier logistically speaking to travel via Dublin or Shannon

logistically speaking its almost a tie between Cork and Shannon, a lot of people don't realise that. from Templemore/Thurles to the door of cork airport it takes about an hour and a half. ive done it many a time at 5 on a Friday evening . and if you have to use public transport its a hell of a lot easier to get to Cork airport than Shannon. Ive heard of a few people up home who used cork as a departure for package holiday in recent years say they never realised how handy Cork airport is and would use it again. Maybe that's one think that needs to be looked at, the catchment area can be more than the cork region, even though it maybe only a small thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

It seems Cork is losing out on jobs due to no transatlantic routes and other routes.When will they take the bull by the horns and make it happen or will they keep brushing it under the carpet.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/absence-of-transatlantic-flights-costs-cork-jobs-261022.html

Latest update.Multinationals would pay more for transatlantic flights.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/multinationals-would-pay-more-for-cork-new-york-flights-264537.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

The Dublin Airport Authority - who own/control Cork Airport - obviously couldn't give a tuppenny cuss for Cork airport.

Until Cork Airport has the autonomy to prospect for, and secure business in competition with the other airports, it is doomed. And the region will continue to suffer as a result.

Is there another airport in Ireland which is literally a 10 min taxi ride (6.5 km) to the centre of town? We do nothing to exploit this - because the DAA are afraid we'll take business from Dublin.

I could go on......but I won't bother.......!

blindsider wrote: »
    The Dublin Airport Authority - who own/control Cork Airport - obviously couldn't give a tuppenny cuss for Cork airport.

Until Cork Airport has the autonomy to prospect for, and secure business in competition with the other airports, it is doomed. And the region will continue to suffer as a result.

Is there another airport in Ireland which is literally a 10 min taxi ride (6.5 km) to the centre of town? We do nothing to exploit this - because the DAA are afraid we'll take business from Dublin.

I could go on......but I won't bother.......!

who are ironically headed by a Cork man.:rolleyes:

The Cork politicians are not doing fcuk all to help either.When American companies in Cork are starting to kick up about this,these idiots in the Dail should be acting on it.Never mind all the lost tourism potential for the Cork and Kerry region.

The whole thing is a mess with Cork airport.Ryanair are now also saying that they cant add new routes because the fees are too high there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

I dunno about trans Atlantic flights from Cork, sure your man from the Radio might go daft again.

nothing new in Ryanair stating cost being a factor in doing business from cork. the potential for Cork and surrounding counties is huge if it got its act in order. for it to become a success it needs to be free from Dublin but the huge debit needs to be dealt with first before it can break away. Shannon is doing well since it broke free from the DAA.

agree with the politicians they don't do anything to fight for it. Isnt the minister for innovation and enterprise from Cork, who should be fighting for the airport as part of that brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Local elections coming up, a good time to be asking questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AshAdele

S82425.htmlhttp://corkindependent.com/20140417/news/cork-airport-target-airlines-for-new-routes-S82425.html
    Cork Airport was aggressively marketed by Cork Airport management at the Routes Europe 2014 event held in Marseille last weekend in their ongoing plan to attract new routes.

Attended by over 1,200 delegates from 70 countries and representing 115 airlines and 380 airports, it is one of the largest events of its kind and Cork Airport met with over 20 airlines at private one to one meetings to market the airport and the south of Ireland to aviation decision makers from across Europe
    A survey revealed by TravelAgent.ie last week which Kevin mentioned, revealed that more than 75 per cent of the fifty multinational corporations in the Cork catchment area would pay a premium of €100 to airline operating non stop flights from Cork to New York, rather than flying from Shannon or Dublin Airport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement