Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

receeding hair

Options
  • 02-10-2012 11:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭

i folks, my hair is receeding on top can anyone recommend what wuld be best for me to stop and or regain some of my hair? thanks:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

Lack of replies gives you your answer.
    No Cure
    Cant slow down the process.
    Buy yourself a Razor and join the slap heads!!
    embrace the Phil Mitchell look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Impossible to stop it I'm afraid. You could go down the road of expensive hair replacement procedures but it will never be the same as it was. There is some hope in the future I am reliably told though. They are researching some kind of hair cloning technology that might make it possible for fuller replacement procedures but that is a good way down the road. I would shave it off or get a nice blended shave from a barber and embrace the new look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

earlytobed wrote: »
    Lack of replies gives you your answer.
    No Cure
    Cant slow down the process.
    Buy yourself a Razor and join the slap heads!!
    embrace the Phil Mitchell look

That's not really true.

There is Propecia, which works for something like 80% of men and can be as effective as maintaining your hair exactly as it is when you start the course indefinitely, with potential regrowth, but be very careful with this as there are a lot of very serious potential side effects.

Then there's Minoxodil, which also works for a lot of men in maintaining a hairline for anything from a year to indefinitely, although it's nowhere near as universally successful as Propecia.

And there's other things which potentially help in tandem with either of the above, such as using Nizoral shampoo and taking Saw Palmetto, which works like a very weak version of Propecia.

Finally there is products like Toppik which are actually pretty good as disguising thinning hair and used with either Propecia/Minoxodil, can disguise thinning hair pretty well for a period even if those products don't halt the thinning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

That's not really true.

There is Propecia, which works for something like 80% of men and can be as effective as maintaining your hair exactly as it is when you start the course indefinitely, with potential regrowth, but be very careful with this as there are a lot of very serious potential side effects.

Then there's Minoxodil, which also works for a lot of men in maintaining a hairline for anything from a year to indefinitely, although it's nowhere near as universally successful as Propecia.

And there's other things which potentially help in tandem with either of the above, such as using Nizoral shampoo and taking Saw Palmetto, which works like a very weak version of Propecia.

Finally there is products like Toppik which are actually pretty good as disguising thinning hair and used with either Propecia/Minoxodil, can disguise thinning hair pretty well for a period even if those products don't halt the thinning.

thanks for your reply, what about this bioxine thats been advertised on radio lately, is it any good? what about regain? cheers

Not sure about that one, though I doubt it's much good to be honest. Visit any hair loss forum and they will always recommend Finasterade (also known as propecia in 1mg form, Finasterade is cheaper and is a 5mg tab you split yourself), or Minoxodil, Finasterade is much more effective and almost guaranteed to at least maintain your current hairline, whereas Minoxodil varies from person to person, and the overall success rate in maintenance is much lower, and a very low regrowth success rate. Minoxodil however is fairly safe to use, the only complaints I've ever heard are instances of things like increased hair loss, minor cosmetic reactions like enlarged pores, and so on - nothing life altering. Finasterade however, having the potential for extremely serious side effects. Now, many people use it, and have had zero side effects, but that potential is enough for me to avoid it - there are even a few horror stories on this forum about it.
    http://www.andrewrynne.com/blog/2010/10/male-pattern-baldness-and-propecia/

Posted on October 17, 2010 by Dr. Andrew Rynne

"I want to shout this from the rooftops. However, I will shout it into cyberspace instead.

I want the ear of every young man on this planet who may be experiencing testosterone driven male pattern balding. Please listen to me. Do NOT under any circumstances even for one minute consider taking the testosterone-suppressing drug Proscar or Propecia or Finasteride to give it its chemical name for male pattern balding.

Here’s what the manufacturers Merck say on their Patient’s Product Information leaflet about Propecia: “In clinical studies for Propecia, a small number of men experienced certain sexual side effects, such as less desire for sex, difficulty in achieving an erection, decrease in the amount semen produced. Each of these side effects occurred in less than 2% of men and went away in men who stopped taking Propecia because of them.”

What jumps out at you here is that figure 2%. However, even if you accept this figure as true, and personally I do not accept it, but even if you do, to the uninitiated it might seem like a low figure. But for 2% of men on Proscar to experience serious side effects like erectile dysfunction, loss of libido and reduced volume of semen this is actually a very high and significant figure. Remember you are dealing here with a naturally occurring normal male phenomenon called ‘Male Pattern Baldness’. This is not an illness or a disease. This is a healthy normal occurrence. If in an attempt to “cure” it, you are getting a 2% rate of serious side effects, then that quite frankly is unacceptable.

But here is the real lie that Merck is giving you in its Patient’s Leaflet. Do you see that bit there about “went away in men who stopped taking Propecia – ” That is simply not true and Merck know full well that it is not true. They know it is not true because I and hundreds of other doctors and thousands of patients have told them that these side effects do not always go away when you stop taking Propecia. We continue to be ignored of course. Merck in a multi-billion multinational company.

In some cases men who have taken Proscar, even for a few months, have unwittingly condemned themselves to a lifetime of Sexual Anhedonia, the most horrible and cruel or all sexual dysfunctions. I have spoken to several young men in my clinic in Kildare who continue to suffer from sexual anaesthesia and for whom all sexual pleasure and feelings have been obliterated for all time. I have felt their suffering and shared their devastation.

If you would like to learn more about this subject then visit them on http://www.propeciahelp.com. Please spread the word around. Taking Propecia for balding can have utterly disastrous consequences. If you have suffered in any way as a consequence of having used Propecia or Proscar them please use the comment box below to share your story with us. We would love to hear from you."

At the end of the day you could take it, and the odds are very much that it wouldn't cause any side effects, but the potential is there and a lot of men have suffered severe and occasionally irreversibly from taking it. I'm giving Minoxodil a go, but if it doesn't work I'll just accept my hair the way it is!

Regaine is Minoxodil, but it's far cheaper to buy generic Minoxodil like Kirkland, which is half the price. It cost me 70 euro for six months supply, in the local pharmacy it's 40 euro for a single months course of Regaine, both are the exact same 5% solution. There's also Nizoral shampoo, and Saw Palmetto extract (the 85% standardized), both of which are reported to help - Saw Palmetto works similar to Finasterade as a DHT blocker, but is far less potent, and obviously safer provided you don't take too much - some people take up to 1500mg a day, but given there are no studies on the effect that could have, it's best to stick within the designated healthy range, which I think is about 500mg a day when you're considering long term use. 1500mg might be more effective as reported by a few people on various forums, but there's no point taking it to the extent that no-one is quite sure the effect it could have on your body in the long term.

• Advertisement

any views on regaine? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

Reading all that's been posted here, I suddenly find myself willing to accept my thinning hair....

no views on regain then? any idea what jimmy nesbit used? his looks good

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Don't waste 100's-1000's on fad solutions there's no cure for baldness just shave it off you'll be surprised by how many will tell you that you look better.

If you can afford it you can have surgery done and basically plant hair into your scalp it'll look like a well ploughed furrow though.

Man up and embrace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When I noticed I was going bald I started to use Regain, but tbh, when I noticed I was going bald, it was already too late. In the end (and after spending a few months throwing money at some spray) I just shaved it off, and now shave my head with a Mach3 every couple of days.

It's down to personal preference, but when going bald I looked like I was 40 years older.

OP, try getting a "1" in the barber; it'll look better than a receding hairline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 bushihead

Mine is starting to go south too, which is a shame as I have always looked pretty youthful. One of my friends takes finasteride and he is fine, but I don't think it is worth it any more. Too many horror stories. While there is hope in the future, I think they have been saying these things since the dawn of time tbh. I don't think pharmaceutical companies would cure it even if they could. Think of how much money they would lose from not being able to force insecure men to keep taking their dodgy drugs. All drugs available now say you must keep taking them or the hair will start falling out again. They are also not half as well tested as other drugs. If a small company could do it to upset the order and get themselves on top then sure, but I think it is too hard for unestablished companies to do it :(

• Site Banned Posts: 38 Staedtler

Just wondering why there isn't a forum entitled "Sagging tits and Menopausal flushing" - could it be that women are just a little bit cleverer than men? (or, to be fair, cleverer than men who contribute to this forum - ensuring its continued existence)

Or is self-deprecation purely a male pursuit?(there's a joke in there somewhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Mine was receding and thinning out. Then I met my current partner and was advised to switch shampoos. Worked surprisingly well for me, at my next haircut she commented on all the new hair growth. I swear my hairline actually ceded… or whatever the opposite of receded is! Now it's not back to what it was in my teens but I still have a full head of healthy hair and am tablet free!

The shampoos I used to use were anything. Anything on the selves in tesco etc, anything from lush, whatever was in the shower, even shower gel at times. I switched to shampoos free of SLSs (sodium laurl sulfate?) or anything similar. The sukin brand was the best but I've also used A'kin, Jasön, etc. all available in health stores (ESP the one beside McDonald's on grafton street).
    I'd say its well worth trying it before you go down the road of tablets and side effects. Buy a bottle of Sukin shampoo, €10, use the bottle and see if it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

As a naturally beautiful man, I tend to not have to use any.

*grins*

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ukonline

-

What about a partial hair piece?

Only a few hundred Euro. Thinking of getting
    one myself.

-

In that particular video, the guy looks infinitely younger with the hair, have to say it looks pretty good - there's a video from a later date as well, and he appears to have lost a lot of weight, probably spurred by on by his new hair. I'm one of those people who believe that although a shaved head can suit many men, and a select few look better with, the vast majority of men look far better with hair.

According to the link though they need to be replaced every few months, so it's a pricey enough option, but safe enough with guaranteed and excellent results...so worth a go I suppose, although it must be weird for people in your personal life to go from being bald to having a full head of hair overnight.

Just to add guys, I've been on generic minoxodil the last 4 months (about 60E for six months), and while it hasn't been the miracle cure adverts imply, I have grown temple hair - not full hair, but they've filled in to the the extent it now looks like I'm thinning in the temples, whereas six months ago, the temples were gone....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 evanmarko

i have hair loss as well, when i first noticed i was sooooo upset. after years of checking our this and that and after seeing friends with hair plugs... as some uses commented on this thread, solutions may be many but the final result wont be the same and sometimes may even be more noticeable (especially with plugs). I decided best to just go bald and somehow accept it.

i just accepted it. Keep your hair short and just hope it suits you. Sorry mate not everything in life is pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GEKKO135

TerrorFirmer, how often do you apply it? I've been using it for about 3 months but only apply it at night because it's just too oily for day time use.

Can't say I see any results yet but not receding much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dirk Hardpeck

I'm a year on Finasteride, no adverse effects, hair looks great, which in turn makes me feel great. Used to buy off the internet, some legit places if you do your research, but I recently went to a walk in clinic, luckily enough they had a dermatologist working there, explained my story and he wrote me a script for a years worth Proscar (5mg Finasteride, cut one tablet into fourths).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

ukonline wrote: »
    What about a partial hair piece?
    Only a few hundred Euro.
    Only?!?? What is this...2004?

As the late great Linda Smith once said, all girls care about in a man is a clean shirt and a nice smile.

You can try Saw Palmetto and keep your hair, but grow bewbs and loose your libido or go the Wayne Rooney route and still look like a potatoe, albeit a hairy one minus 50 grand.

It's all about attitude and confidence. Most of the wimmins I know would rather be with a 60 year old bald Sean Connery than a 40 year old hirsute Roger Moore.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

Amen on the nice smile! From this womans POV, hair on men IMO is way overrated. Way back when I was married my husband was just 25 losing his hair and I just happened to be a hairdresser at that time. I love his hair very short or shaved, it was that beautiful smile that stole my heart.

Save your money and put it on a beautiful set of teeth if you don't already have a good set in your mouth ~ nothing like a pearly smile to woo a womans heart! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Mine's being receeding at the front for the past few years. I'm using Regain and Proscar (for last few months) and my shampoo is Nioxin and Alpecian Shampoo.
    Its not going to regrowth hair at the front but it has helped it.
    I was advised by my barber to vary my shampoo as you're hair becomes more fuller.
    One thing I've stopped doing is putting gel in my hair after its damp as I like the spikey affect, but it made my hair look thinner,Brylecreem is crap by the way.
    I let it dry now and put a bit of wax in, I don't have the spikey effect I had but one girl in work said my hair was much fuller looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

guys just a warning on proscar/finisteride...... new research has shown that taking it can lead to depression.... please look this up before going on it...

I took it for two/three years and have decided its not worth it anymore..... I've had a bad time over the last year with feeling depressed, i'm not saying the pills caused it but there is a high chance it contributed to it....

Thanks for the tip Boardie, so far no symptoms whatsover.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dirk Hardpeck

I find it baffling that no one ever complained about Proscar (for BPH) before or after Propecia came out, it seems to be people suffering from hairloss and self esteem issues caused by hairloss.

The drug has been on the market for 22 years, it's safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

Regaine is Minoxodil, but it's far cheaper to buy generic Minoxodil like Kirkland, which is half the price. It cost me 70 euro for six months supply, in the local pharmacy it's 40 euro for a single months course of Regaine, both are the exact same 5% solution. There's also Nizoral shampoo, and Saw Palmetto extract (the 85% standardized), both of which are reported to help - Saw Palmetto works similar to Finasterade as a DHT blocker, but is far less potent, and obviously safer provided you don't take too much - some people take up to 1500mg a day.

Is minoxidil a tablet or a shampoo? is it a prescription item, I looked into this last year, saw the price of a rogaine shampoo on the shelf in boots and just thought, better give up as its too dear, but 60-70euro for a generic for 6 months sounds ok, if it even slows my hairloss then that would be good.
    Do I need to see a doctor or get a letter for a dermatologist or can i just get this over the counter in a pharmacy??
    I switched to shampoos free of SLSs (sodium laurl sulfate?) or anything similar. The sukin brand was the best but I've also used A'kin, Jasön, etc. all available in health stores (ESP the one beside McDonald's on grafton street).
    I'd say its well worth trying it before you go down the road of tablets and side effects. Buy a bottle of Sukin shampoo, €10, use the bottle and see if it works.
    Are these available in any of the main stores or boots? just wondering if you know, I'll have to look as i never heard of them before now.

Sukin has been discontinued from health matters on Grafton anywhere else you can get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Has anyone on here heard of Histogen. I think one of the people behind it is a woman called Dr Gail Naughton. It seems like an injection to rejuvenate the hair follicles. It is soon entering the Phase III trials before it is approved for use. Although I've heard that there is a cancer risk with it which they are trying t iron out.

I'd say it will not be approved without more stringent testing than finasteride got given the **** that the FDA is getting for it at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Save your money and put it on a beautiful set of teeth if you don't already have a good set in your mouth ~ nothing like a pearly smile to woo a womans heart! ;)

Got an appt @34yo for braces!!!! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement