Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alien Abduction

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Lisandro wrote: »
    "Iv seen UFO's over Cork"

UFOs over Cork! That'll be the day!

What the original poster describes sounds a lot like sleep paralysis. The human mind's capability to hallucinate is truly spectacular. Influenced by fear, doubt, outright uncertainty, it's very easy for the mind to become vulnerable to illusions and numerous psychological studies confirm this. Wait until you've subjected the experience to the full blade of science before you declare such a spectacular conclusion.

Yea Saturday 29th August 2009, I remember it well and I had three friends with me, Its on the internet too and you can check it out with 96fm and ask them what song they played around 11 that night if you think I'm childish enough to go posting lies here.

BTW I'v had sleep paralysis for as long as I remember so does my Dad and my teenage son and not one of us have ever seen Aliens or anything else during it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

al28283 wrote: »
    these are all characteristics of sleep paralysis, along with being terrified of something in the room which you cannot see

i would see them rather, as subjective characteristics of sleep paralysis that attempt to explain away abductions, a phenomenon that people otherwise cannot accept. i can't personally speak for or against alien abductions but i wouldn't be quick to rule them out because of the things i've seen and the research i've done myself.

someone mentioned john mack earlier, i dug up this docu :

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

dyer wrote: »
    you're throwing like with like.. just because there are some similiar aspects doesn't necessarily mean they are the same thing does it?

i have had sleep paralysis myself so i know what it's like.. but the OP mentioned a light entering the room which lifted him from his bed and that he was being communicated with telepathically. perhaps it is a case of sleep paralysis.. but, maybe it isn't?
    And just because it looks, sounds and walks like a duck doesn't mean it's not a magic space duck instead of a regular duck right?

Even if we all accept that aliens are visiting us, sleep paralysis is the most likely explanation. It accounts for everything that was reported and the op has not outlined anything that cannot be account for by it. Nor has he produced any reason or evidence to indicate that it was anything other than sleep paralysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

why specifically aliens? why not ghosts or demons. if i come across condescending I am sorry but you're describing feelings and have picked an entity but there is no proof its aliens.I have had the exact same experience and originally thought I was being haunted, that's how sacred I was but eventually after a lot of research realised it was sleep paralysis. like I said earlier. and there was a question about other people experiencing this and how they would feel. its o scary it affects you for weeks after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Thats what i ment when i mentioned metaphysical forms.
    Demons back in biblical days could have been aliens from another dimension/plane,phasing in and out.

I think it highly unlikely they are in any way communicating with us in any shape or form.
    But if they were, thats maybe one way it can be explained.

So when you say aparitions etc could be demons, i still consider those demons to be aliens from another dimension.
    personally i dont believe any aliens are in contact at all and i dont believe ghosts or demons,including god/satan exist..unless you count them as planets,with some kind of consciousness or symbolism to mankind.

If the bible is anyway real at all (which i think not) then God is an alien.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 mr big boy

dyer wrote: »
    i would see them rather, as subjective characteristics of sleep paralysis that attempt to explain away abductions, a phenomenon that people otherwise cannot accept. i can't personally speak for or against alien abductions but i wouldn't be quick to rule them out because of the things i've seen and the research i've done myself.

someone mentioned john mack earlier, i dug up this docu :

Just got serious flashbacks watching this. Spine tingling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

While researching outer body experiences i read about how to try do it.
    apparently when you achieve it, at a point just before..you get a jolt like electricity running up into the back of your skull.

Later i read that this OBE's should not be attempted through meditation as you sleep, as this can cause sleep paralysis.

The descriptions of alien abductions many times seem to have similar signs that it may be an OBE or sleep paralysis.
    Since the rational mind is awakened during sleep paralysis and not OBE's afaik,it may be that it creates an alternative scenario to explain that scary situation.
    Some people have been known to wake up paralysed with a succubus type demon literally sitting on their chest face close to theirs paralyzing them with fear as it drains energy from them.

So if you believe in aliens or god it might be more likely that is whats happening.Or even without prior belief,the mind may take one of these concepts as a back up reality to save a complete shutdown.

If you go into an OBE it seems to me its not fully awake but nearly. so you can fly about and even go to other worlds.But since it may be so close to waking the mind that might be why it runs the risk of causing sleep paralysis.
    Oh and maybe also why sleep paralysis victims remembr so much of their experience..as they would be nearly fully awake i think.
    And OBE's are ment to be very hard to rmemeber..almost like a dream that dissapates soon after waking.
    Many people who do astral travel through OBE's need to keep a journal by their bed so they can quickly write down what happened before they forget.

My thoughts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Lefticus Loonaticus

King Mob wrote: »
    No, I'm saying that explanations that rely on magical creatures or aliens or things to that effect are unreasonable and ridiculous.
    Doubly so when there is a much more plausible, supported and mundane explanation that fits the bill.

You say aliens are unreasonable and ridiculous. If so, can you please explain to me what these people are talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vyVe-6YdUk.

Also, many years later, these guys basically seem to be saying the same thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jUU4Z8QdHI.

All of the these people are highly qualified and have previously held postions in military, public and civilian sectors. Many of them have had very high level positions.

Can you explain what these people are talking about? Or are they completely delusional?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

You say aliens are unreasonable and ridiculous. If so, can you please explain to me what these people are talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vyVe-6YdUk.

Also, many years later, these guys basically seem to be saying the same thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jUU4Z8QdHI.

All of the these people are highly qualified and have previously held postions in military, public and civilian sectors. Many of them have had very high level positions.

Can you explain what these people are talking about? Or are they completely delusional?
    off the head pal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

That's beside the point, whether these people are telling the truth or not, this has no connection to what the OP described.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ninjamonkey

luckyfrank wrote: »
    off the head pal

/me sighs ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

/me sighs ....

me lifts pint ........ swallows

luckyfrank wrote: »
    me lifts pint ........ swallows

Now THAT I can appreciate , great to see a common line of thinking on this thread ..

Sláinte ;)

So since they all held "very high level positions" I should just believe them without question?
    Do these positions somehow make these people immune to the stuff that can make other people believe in something that isn't true?

And what, other than the unsupported assumptions that aliens abduct people connect those guys with the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

mr big boy wrote: »
    No wonder people don't bother telling their experiences much. But to be fair i would probably think the same before i had mine. In a way i am glad though because once your mind is opened you see things differently.

mate you have really been taken in by this alien abduction thing but as i said before the same thing that happened to you happened to me except for the bright light take it from me its sleep paralysis this is an actual condition and is not a made up thing to cover up alien abductions

So since they all held "very high level positions" I should just believe them without question?
    Do these positions somehow make these people immune to the stuff that can make other people believe in something that isn't true?
    And what, other than the unsupported assumptions that aliens abduct people connect those guys with the OP?

Yep, I have to agree with King Mob on this point.
    One should never believe these guys without question. remember the Alien machine is a huge money-spinner, and one which you do not need a degree in to lecture on. - (excuse the cynic in me) However, After listening to hours of testimony, and also knowing personally pilots who have seen unusual objects when flying cargo runs, Who I know to be of sound mind, and who would never report such a sighting, I am of the opinion that there is the possibility of " something" happening. I do not profess to know what that something is.

It may be alien, it may be inter-dimensional, it may be a manifestation of the sub conscious, creating its own reality, which the brain interprets as "real". Quantum theory is now questioning the validity of what we determine to be "real" However, it would seem when all the evidence is weighed up, that something is occurring.
    Also to note. The professionals who are reporting these occurrences, have been through rigorous psychological screening, and personality tests. They are deemed to be of sound mind, and are tasked with authority over a nuclear arsenal. They are not usually people who would seek attention through fabrication of such stories.

It may be alien, it may be inter-dimensional, it may be a manifestation of the sub conscious, creating its own reality, which the brain interprets as "real". Quantum theory is now questioning the validity of what we determine to be "real" However, it would seem when all the evidence is weighed up, that something is occurring.
    Also to note. The professionals who are reporting these occurrences, have been through rigorous psychological screening, and personality tests. They are deemed to be of sound mind, and are tasked with authority over a nuclear arsenal. They are not usually people who would seek attention through fabrication of such stories.
    So why can't it be a case of sleep paralysis? We know it exists and that it is common. We know that it happens to pretty much anybody and it doesn't require you to be 'mentally unsound'.

Similarly there's plenty of reasons that people can be fooled into believing something that isn't true.
    They can misremember or misrecall their experiences. They can misidentify normal stuff. They can be influence by being interested, or becoming interested in the UFO community. Their testimony could be altered, or misremembered by less honest researchers.
    Or one of a thousand other explanations that don't require them to be any less mentally deficient that the rest of us.

So unfortunately, simply stating that they can't be mistaken or lying doesn't amount to evidence.

So why can't it be a case of sleep paralysis? We know it exists and that it is common. We know that it happens to pretty much anybody and it doesn't require you to be 'mentally unsound'.

Similarly there's plenty of reasons that people can be fooled into believing something that isn't true.
    They can misremember or misrecall their experiences. They can misidentify normal stuff. They can be influence by being interested, or becoming interested in the UFO community. Their testimony could be altered, or misremembered by less honest researchers.
    Or one of a thousand other explanations that don't require them to be any less mentally deficient that the rest of us.

So unfortunately, simply stating that they can't be mistaken or lying doesn't amount to evidence.

Well, first off I personally never said it could not be sleep paralysis, of course it could be. However from the OP's account, I believe him inasmuch as there seems to be more to it than that.

I have experienced sleep paralysis many years ago. In this case the mind was perfectly awake, but the body was too tired to respond to commands. I simply relaxed adn went back to sleep until the body was ready to wake.

The floating/ light etc as described by the OP, was never experienced, and I cannot comment on that

Just to be clear, I did not link the OP's post or experience to UFO's, my point was merely to highlight that the notion of Alien or Extraterrestrial is no longer seen as Ridiculous, or impossible.

Also, it has to be noted that it is VERY easy to deny all evidence, and come up with another excuse not to accept there may be something unusual happening.

Personally, my money is on the flying spaghetti monster !

talking of which , this is fun ..

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/165654-do-you-believe-flying-spaghetti-monster.html

Well, first off I personally never said it could not be sleep paralysis, of course it could be. However from the OP's account, I believe him inasmuch as there seems to be more to it than that.

I have experienced sleep paralysis many years ago. In this case the mind was perfectly awake, but the body was too tired to respond to commands. I simply relaxed adn went back to sleep until the body was ready to wake.

The floating/ light etc as described by the OP, was never experienced, and I cannot comment on that
    Well then since it is possible that it was a case of sleep paralysis, why do you assume the other, less likely explanations are somehow more plausible?
    Just to be clear, I did not link the OP's post or experience to UFO's, my point was merely to highlight that the notion of Alien or Extraterrestrial is no longer seen as Ridiculous, or impossible.
    And even if we accepted that, which I don't, the idea that aliens are an explanation is based solely on the totally assumed and unsupported idea that aliens abduct people. This, even aside from the total lack of evidence and sense from the claims of the UFO crowd makes the explanation you are proposing ridiculous and unreasonable.
    Also, it has to be noted that it is VERY easy to deny all evidence, and come up with another excuse not to accept there may be something unusual happening.
    And this is just a silly strawman argument. We haven't said that there wasn't anything going on, just that it was mundane.
    There's nothing to support and nothing to make any reasonable person think otherwise.

Whether aliens exist or not is beside the point.

Basically, there is equal evidence to connect the Op's quite common experience to aliens as there is to connect it to ghosts or werewolves. i.e none at all.

But the Op feels it was aliens and so anyone who disagrees with that is close-minded and to be pitied in his view, or so it seems. We just don't get it

He is starting with the assumption that it is aliens and so everything he reads or looks into will only support that feeling and he dismisses any other explanation.

• Advertisement

Well then since it is possible that it was a case of sleep paralysis, why do you assume the other, less likely explanations are somehow more plausible?

And even if we accepted that, which I don't, the idea that aliens are an explanation is based solely on the totally assumed and unsupported idea that aliens abduct people. This, even aside from the total lack of evidence and sense from the claims of the UFO crowd makes the explanation you are proposing ridiculous and unreasonable.

And this is just a silly strawman argument. We haven't said that there wasn't anything going on, just that it was mundane.
    There's nothing to support and nothing to make any reasonable person think otherwise.

Hmm... Maybe I am not making this clear enough, though I have stated it several times, I am happy address is again, let me clarify piece by piece

1)
    Why do you assume the other, less likely explanations are somehow more plausible?

A: I do not, and never have. I have only said I would not instantly dismiss them, as ridiculous and unreasonable, as only a closed minded person would do. I have no idea what the OP experienced. It could have been anything from Sleep paralysys to an unknown type of event. - I make no assumtions

2)

A: I have not, did not and will not propose any explanation, I simply do not discount the OP's explanation as rediculous and unreasonable. I could not possibly propose an explanation, because I did not witness the event.

3)
    And this is just a silly strawman argument. We haven't said that there wasn't anything going on, just that it was mundane. There's nothing to support and nothing to make any reasonable person think otherwise.

A: This is a very fair and valid comment. I support you on this.

I believe the OP experienced an unusual event. I have no idea what it was, but I do beleve the Op is sincere in his posting. I for one believe his account of what he witnessed. I would not discount the idea of extraterrestrials, simply because the universe is such an unkown.

However, we may rest easy that with the sheer arrogance of the human race , where many people think Humans are the only lifeform, and any other notion is simply ridiculous, we will never get to know, because there are those who will always simply dismiss it rather than open their limited blinkered minds to the possibility that the universe might be bigger than their belief system

However, we may rest easy that with the sheer arrogance of the human race , where many people think Humans are the only lifeform, and any other notion is simply rediculous, we will never get to know, because there are those who will always simply dismiss it rather than open their limited blinkered minds to the possibility that the universe might be bigger than their belief system

But there is no reason at all to connect his experience to aliens, absolutely none. There may well be aliens, probably is, but there is no reason to believe they had anything to do with this. There is no connection

But there is no reason at all to connect his experience to aliens, absolutely none. There may well be aliens, probably is, but there is no reason to believe they had anything to do with this. There is no connection

Thank you - finally someone understands what I am saying.

i do agree, as I said I never did connect this to aliens, but I beleive the OP. If he feels there was more to it than sleep paralysis, and if the event was very unusual, I believe he is being honest and truthful with the post. - My main point, is to instantly dismiss it as unreasonable and ridiculous is equally as incorrect as to instantly attribute it to aliens.

My main point, is to instantly dismiss it as unreasonable and rediculous is equally as incorrect as to instantly attribute it to aliens.

But it's not, all the evidence points to it being sleep paralysis, it sounds exactly like it, all the signs point to it being that. It's quite a common occurence and it's well documented.

To suggest it is sleep paralysis is not the same as suggesting it is alien abduction

But it's not, all the evidence points to it being sleep paralysis, it sounds exactly like it, all the signs point to it being that. It's quite a common occurence and it's well documented.

To suggest it is sleep paralysis is not the same as suggesting it is alien abduction

Ok, I can see that point of view, in that the more likely explanation would be sleep paralysis. However there are some key differences, which if you read the accounts of alien abduction are also present. - ( this is the differential which is being conveniently ignored)

For example the bright light, the communication, Sitting up awake in bed, and seeing the light recede through a wall. - these things may not typically happen with Sleep paralysis.

Of course, again I go to pains to point out, that I am not offering any explanation for the experience, i am simply saying that I am more open to other possibilites than some folks.

For example the bright light, the communication, Sitting up awake in bed, and seeing the light recede through a wall. - these things may not typically happen with Sleep paralysis.

They are all actually quite common during sleep paralysis

Take a look at this, it describes the OP's experience almost perfectly.
    Even the picture of a creature sitting on the womans chest is just like the OP's description of "some kinda force that feels like it is kneeling on your chest" and the mentions of hallucinations and the feeling of something evil being in the room. The Op's experience is almost a textbook description of sleep paralysis

http://www.wikihow.com/Cope-with-Sleep-Paralysis

Here's another description of it, exactly describing everything the OP did

"Although sleep paralysis is a symptom of narcolepsy, it is also common in healthy people. Surveys from different countries show a wide range of estimates: 20 to 60 percent of the normal adult population has experienced sleep paralysis at least once. Around 5 percent of the population has experienced one or more of other disturbing symptoms associated with the disorder. The most common effects include visual hallucinations, such as shadows and light or a human or animal figure in the room, and auditory hallucinations, such as hearing voices or footsteps. A person often also feels pressure on his or her chest and has difficulty breathing.
    The reason sleep paralysis may explain tales of ghosts and aliens is the strong sense of a presence, usually harmful, that victims commonly feel during an attack. They also report unusual kinesthetic sensations, such as feelings of being dragged out of bed, vibrating, flying or falling. These episodes can sometimes lead to full-blown out-of-body experiences. Sleep paralysis may be frightening, but it is never dangerous, and thankfully, episodes usually last only a few seconds."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=ask-the-brains-sleep-paralysis

Hmm..

So how do we have sleep paralysis while driving, or while a police officer is on duty, or driving a tractor .... and not lying asleep in bed.

http://www.intrudersfoundation.org/junk_science_paralysis.html

Again, the now mandatory disclaimer : - i am not offering explanations, simply accepting other possibilities.

• Advertisement

Hmm..

So how do we have sleep paralysis while driving, or while a police officer is on duty, or driving a tractor .... and not lying asleep in bed.

http://www.intrudersfoundation.org/junk_science_paralysis.html

Again, the now mandatory disclaimer : - i am not offering explanations, simply accepting other possibilities.

well personally I've never heard of sleep paralysis happening like mentioned there, and I don't believe it would be possible as I understand it. but I would have to question the source of that report as its clearly from a pro-UFO standpoint and is going to great lengths to discredit science.

Advertisement