Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musgrave Cork Chill Strike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭gral6

[QUOTEQuote:
    Originally Posted by bassboot
    Ask those who are contracted to work 46 Sundays out there how they'd feel about doing a meagre 26.

They probably feel the same as every other worker in the country that has taken a cut in their wage. ][/QUOTE]
    Not everyone in this country on 18 Eu p/h like those in Musgrave.Everyone is free to leave if they feel like they are being exploited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

The plight of the workers in Vita Cortex down the road from the Musgrave strike puts the problems (!) of the Chill workers in perspective.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

gral6 wrote: »
    [QUOTEQuote:
    Ask those who are contracted to work 46 Sundays out there how they'd feel about doing a meagre 26.

They probably feel the same as every other worker in the country that has taken a cut in their wage. ]
    Not everyone in this country on 18 Eu p/h like those in Musgrave.Everyone is free to leave if they feel like they are being exploited[/QUOTE]

are you kidding me?18 euro's a hours? and there complaining about some voice thing?jesus christ man I'm outta work at the moment I'll take one of there jobs if they don't want it

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fishrman

I genuinely wish all Musgrave workers well. They are decent people from what i know. Its just that i would hate to see more wealth slipping out of this country to german and tesco shareholders. There is a long game to play. If we need to work smarter then we should jump at the chance. I am a proud irish person and make no apologies for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 userr1

You can ask Userr1 how strike ended in Fonthill 5 years ago
    There has never been an official strike in Fonthill.

• Advertisement

Fishrman wrote: »
    I genuinely wish all Musgrave workers well. They are decent people from what i know. Its just that i would hate to see more wealth slipping out of this country to german and tesco shareholders. There is a long game to play. If we need to work smarter then we should jump at the chance. I am a proud irish person and make no apologies for it!
    Don't be fooled by Musgrave Irish spin. Look at some of the highest earners in Musgrave - Peter and Mary Musgrave, resident in Lake Como (Swiss Shore), Hugh McKeown, resident in Barbados. That's the type of tax free living that the good people of the Musgrave Board take their money to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

userr1 wrote: »
    Don't be fooled by Musgrave Irish spin. Look at some of the highest earners in Musgrave - Peter and Mary Musgrave, resident in Lake Como (Swiss Shore), Hugh McKeown, resident in Barbados. That's the type of tax free living that the good people of the Musgrave Board take their money to.

What's wrong with that?

are you kidding me?18 euro's a hours? and there complaining about some voice thing?jesus christ man I'm outta work at the moment I'll take one of there jobs if they don't want it
    Ask them what they want..prob 2.5% inflation makes a big difference after 18 Eu p/h..
    Hopefully they'll know how it is to be on 8.65 p/h or on the dole or to be employed one of the agency being used in Fonthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭mcko

It's about time working men and women stand up for themselves, when I hear people knocking people looking after their pay and conditions it really annoys me.
    I don't know the full story here but I would not believe all the ibec spin in the press about this and other matters.
    To get an official strike today is next to impossible, so for that reason I would feel the workers have a strong case.
    Having a job isn't something to be embarrassed about.
    Companies are still making millions or where I work billions.
    As a workmate of mine said
    They won't waste a good recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Are they actually on €18 an hour:eek:
    that is insane, i doubt they are all on such good money musgraves would go out of business trying to pay that wage bill,

• Advertisement

18 p/h-day shift,19 p/h night shift..Poor people struggling to make ends meet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

If anyone hears of jobs in musgraves please pm me:)

54kroc wrote: »
    What's wrong with that?
    Nothing at all, more power to them. I only mentioned it in the context of the comment regarding Tesco, Lidl and Aldi revenue leaving the country. Supervalu and Centra revenue leaves these fine shores in shed loads too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Douglasman80

This is absolutely incredible. I work in musgrave tramore road in the offices have a 4 year degree from ucc and am working with the company since 2004 and I am earning 6000 less than the average wage from
    The chill warehouse .the last pay increase I got from the company was four years ago and as part of my job since I started I have changed my work through technogical for no extra money. The chill workers should b ashamed of themselves. There are plenty friends of mine who are unemployed who would do the job for half the price. 46000 a year is well paid. Its nearly enough about them when the musgrave union drivers won't back them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bassboot

[QUOTEQuote:

They probably feel the same as every other worker in the country that has taken a cut in their wage. ]
    Not everyone in this country on 18 Eu p/h like those in Musgrave.Everyone is free to leave if they feel like they are being exploited[/Quote]

Sounds like the words of a HR type right there. The hourly wage is indeed a high one relative to the minimum wage. To achieve that figure staff have to hit productivity bonuses that bring you up to those figures. You could earn significantly less if you have a bad week or are struggling with the ailments that are common for doing heavy lifting in the cold. The hourly wage is very generous, but you earn it. Those who give it the big 'leave if you feel like you're being exploited line' are full of ****. Very few involved don't realise how lucky they are to be working in a well paid job during these tough days. But it doesn't mean you should just roll over if new systems of work are implemented, especially one with a proven record of causing job losses.

There are a lot of people who's doing the same job in chill warehouses for min wage.
    They dont moan or strike.
    These on strike will understand how real world looks like pretty soon

There are a lot of people who's doing the same job in chill warehouses for min wage.

A strike does nobody any favours, and I don't think the vast majority of workers wanted this. But companies are trying to worsen people's terms and conditions by using the recession as an excuse. Do you let them chip away at your position or do you try and make a stand? It will probably backfire, but perhaps it's better to make some effort rather than simply give them everything without a whimper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I know of another major food distribution company that has brought in the voice recognition for the warehouse and no salary increase was given and the workers are just getting on with their jobs. I think that in this day and age they should be greatful of a well paying secure job and technology that makes it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fishrman

I know of another major food distribution company that has brought in the voice recognition for the warehouse and no salary increase was given and the workers are just getting on with their jobs. I think that in this day and age they should be greatful of a well paying secure job and technology that makes it easier.

I couldnt agree that decent Irish workers deserve nothing for helping homegrown business to fight off global players. Dont kid yourself. These overseas companies would put another 100,000 on the dole in a heartbeat if it meant they could hoover more irish money into the bundesbank! At least Musgrave are up for the fight by moving with the times AND offering their workers an increase. We should be supporting progressive Irish companies rather than holding them back. God knows we need them now more than ever...

regress wrote: »
    Strike only has a chance if Chill workers are supported by their colleagues. All indications are that their co workers will shaft them. If deliveries go out strike has no chance.

I imagine quite a few of their colleagues can't afford to support them, if they don't work they don't get paid, not really feasible for most folk these days.
    This is absolutely incredible. I work in musgrave tramore road in the offices have a 4 year degree from ucc and am working with the company since 2004 and I am earning 6000 less than the average wage from
    The chill warehouse.............. 46000 a year is well paid............

What you're on and what you're qualifications are etc aren't really relevant, working nights and weekends etc attracts an allowance in many jobs, so too working in a less than ambient environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Fifty more lads bought in today.

Show Time wrote: »
    Fifty more lads bought in today.

Word has it that close to 200 office staff/ new people have been trained to step in. Not much point striking if they can simply replace people in an instant. Strange and disturbing situation.

When it comes to money there is nothing strange.They didn't have to strike.These times gone long ago.

When it comes to money there is nothing strange.They didn't have to strike.These times gone long ago.

Seems that the law is heavily loaded in favour of employers. Which isn't necessarily a good thing, irrespective of this particular situation. Old protocols are long gone indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 40plus

their on 46k a year..6wks hols..half pension paid..swap system and now they are looking foe more..I will have their job if they dont want it..Im on a temp contract which is up shortly..not a hope of getting a car loan..let alone the chance to buy my own house..my heart bleads...not!!!!!!!

Unfortunally they don't realize how lucky they are..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I can't remember ever seeing so many new posters join just to contribute to a thread on the Cork City forum...must be a very topical issue for there to be such interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rebelchick2

bassboot wrote: »

A strike does nobody any favours, and I don't think the vast majority of workers wanted this. But companies are trying to worsen people's terms and conditions by using the recession as an excuse. Do you let them chip away at your position or do you try and make a stand? It will probably backfire, but perhaps it's better to make some effort rather than simply give them everything without a whimper.

I don't see how Musgraves are trying to worsen people's terms and conditions by giving them a 5% pay rise or letting them reduce their weekend hours by equivalent amount plus standard 1.5% pay rise just to introduce technology which will make their work easier.! These workers have got it too good and don't realize it.....

bassboot wrote: »

I don't see how Musgraves are trying to worsen people's terms and conditions by giving them a 5% pay rise or letting them reduce their weekend hours by equivalent amount plus standard 1.5% pay rise just to introduce technology which will make their work easier.! These workers have got it too good and don't realize it.....

How do you know this technology makes a job easier? This technology results in job losses. I would call losing a job a definite worsening of your terms and conditions. Ask the people in the ambient warehouse who got let go after assurances that this technology wouldn't result in job losses. Ask workers who have used it already how it makes it harder to make your bonus because unrealistic times were set for orders, resulting in an effective pay drop for the same productivity levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Sounds like their high pay is down to their working conditions and high productivity to me. Or in simpler terms : well earned. Now their employer wants to give them a pay rise that is less than inflation as a reward for working harder? And the vast majority of people here think the workers on strike are the chancers?

I think we've been brainwashed in this country. At the height of the boom when every corporation was bitching about Irish wages being too high, an international survey concluded that Irish workers worked the longest hours for the least pay when compared to the major economies in Europe. That didn't stop every company that could get away with it (most) jumping in and cutting wages once the tabloid rags were full of talk of recession. Plenty of companies (where I work included) are still posting profits and sometimes record profits. I think we need to realise off whose sweat those profits are being built. I think Irish workers need to value themselves more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement