Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shows like "The Shield"

• 09-09-2011 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭

I just finished watching "The Shield". Have to say I really enjoyed it!
    Vince is an unbelievable character!

Can anyone recommend a show similar to it?

I saw "The Wire" already, another great show.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think you have watched the cream of the crop there with The Wire and The Shield
    the next nearest recently would have to be The Chicago Code which only unfairly only lasted one season and even though it wasn't as good the big 2 it was very near with a season arc which i think they wrapped up early because it didn't get renewed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sons of anarchy
    same creator as the shield, but it's about a biker bang and not a rogue police division

dutch makes an appearance or two as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Dutch is in the Chicago Code as well :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that son of a bitch is everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Try Southland.... great show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Mr E wrote: »
    Try Southland.... great show.

+1 for southland!

When i started it i wasn't too sure if i liked it or not, by the end of the first season i loved it. After the last season i hold it up there with the wire and the shield. The acting is fantastic and strong lead characters. Very short seasons which may actually work for it as come away wanting more.

And just in time for season 4 in January. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Thanks for the help folks, I'll check out your suggestions.

I cant praise "The Shield" highly enough, had a serious lump in my throat at the end of it.
    The scene where Vince is just silent was amazing acting!

Not sure how into that show you really were.... the character's name is Vic. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Yeah the shield was class for sure.

Another show i'd recommend is justified.

Season 1 starts off very episodic and easy watching tv. Intro to some of the main characters. More of an arch latter part of season.

Season 2 just goes up another level. Much better than 1st season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Going back a bit but Homicide; Life on the Street is a worthy stablemate, cops are characters rather than clichés, story arcs work well, good plots...shares pedigree with The Wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

:ohaha you're right! Sorry I'm terrible with names on television and in real life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I'm going to recommend Justified as well. Features Walton Goggins who played Shane in the Shield.

The first season I actually found quite weak. Focuses a lot on crime of the week type stuff and the main story arc isn't particularly exciting. Gets much stronger in season 2.

Advertisement