Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airsoft to be discussed on Newstalk 106-108 on Wed 10pm-12midnight -- EMAIL THEM!!!

Options
  • 28-02-2007 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

if you've read this thread you'll see that a scaremongering article in a Carlow newspaper has caused a bit of a stir with relation to airsoft, causing it to be discussed briefly on Declan Carty's show on Newstalk.

Most of us missed the show tonight except I caught last part and sent in a quick email to try and present the argument from airsoft's participants' point of view. It wasn't read out tonight, but at the end of the show Deco said he'd read it out tomorrow night.

Hopefully he'll follow through on that, and there'll be more of a discussion of the subject, and if this is the case, then this is the perfect opportunity for us to try and highjack the scaremongering story and put our own perspective on it.

For those who are interested basically I think as many of ye as possible should email, text, or ring the show and try and make the following points (and your own)...
    -The sport should be regulated, and we are trying to get that done
    -It is a SPORT which is legitimate and widespread in Europe and America
    -It is very similar to paintball
    -All appropriate safety precautions are taken, eg. face masks, dont point at anyone's face.....

We want to steer clear of words and images that are likely to make people think we're a bunch of psychos, so in my email I purposely used the word 'equipment' rather than 'guns' as much as possible. Maybe do similar!

If they get enough of a response they're more likely to spend alot of time on it, so as many people as possible should contact the show by email from tomorrow onwards, at latenight@newstalk.ie .
    If ye want to ring during the show the number is 01 775 6512, and if you want to text, the number is 53106.
    http://www.newstalk.ie/late-night.htm

Come on lads let's not let this opportunity go to waste!

If nonex is interested then I think this would be a good time to publicise HRTA by maybe ringing in about it. I'd say publicise the IAA, except we haven't got anything done with that yet, so maybe don't bring that into it except to say that we're in the process of establishing a governing body for the sport to make it as safe and enjoyable as possible.

Thanks lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

dont think ill be able to listen to this tonight, i'll be at a gig, ill stick it on in the car on the way home though, can anyone make an mp3 of this and upload it somewhere online?

Edit: just trying to rip the newstalk internet stream, but it doesnt seem to be working, if i get it working later ill be able to record the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

wont be able to hear it live meself either since il be watching Blackburn trownce Arsenal and going for some pintage rite after. If ya could record it that would be great ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Email sent. I kept it to under 9000 words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭NakedHedgehog

Don't forget Asia. It's MASSIVE there. "Toy" guns may also be another way to name them, since that is what they are considered by many countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Email sent. I kept it to under 9000 words.

Ah ... but how many of those were vulgarities?

My email is less than 600 but I stick to the science mainly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

CrazyRabbit: care to post a copy of what you sent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's cool lads, keep the emails goin in :) I'll listen live and I'll try record it on my mp3 player and transfer it across... dunno if that'll work, but I'll try :confused:

Forgot to mention Asia, yeah it's huge over there.

I'd steer clear of calling them "toy" guns TBH, because that kinda makes us look careless and conjures up images of us giving AEGs to our kids and having them play cowboys and indians :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

Not long left now. Just thought id ad that i dont think mentioning the guns as equipment as we're not gonna kid anyone, we should refer to them as airsoft guns just as paintball guns are called paintball guns or aintball markers.

We should also get in about the football the other day where the player got kicked in the head and they though he was going to die when talking about the danger levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭MaxForce

Listening to it on line at the moment. DId I miss anything yet?

its not on till ten is it not?

post a link to the web cast

• Advertisement

Click here to listen

Yeah starts at 10 your right

Here's hoping they actually discuss it :o

am i right in saying theres football talk on at the min? just so i know im on the rigt station

Yep, the sports show is just over. Ads on now. The show is called 'Late Night Live', and it's with Declan Carty.

must be so busy I keep losing my link:mad:

Do ye have no radios in your house? :p There's one on my TV, that's where I'm listening. See if you have one!

it wouldnt load for me so i put the radio on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Listening at the moment however they have not mentioned that they will be discussing it at all. The web link is a little ropey so I put on the old fashioned radio.

yeah, it wasnt mentioned at all yet. it'll probably get a small mention at the end before it finishes up

Yeah they haven't mentioned it, hmmm. I would think since they got a few emails about the subject today they might say something.

They could still have a few minutes on it.

• Advertisement

geuss its not gonna get a mention.

Hopefully they will have it on. I tried looking at the Carlow Nationalist website last night to see if I could find the article about the "Pellet Guns". Does anyone out there have a link to it by any chance?

Here ya go, just found it......
    http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/news/story.asp?j=31125&cat=news

Oh my god just read it, what a load of tripe!!! I've read the Herald many times, but this takes "journalism" to a new low.

"Potentially lethal weapons"

F*cking scumbags.

Just rang the station and they told me they will be discussing Airsoft.

looking for it at the min

It's On!!!

Here we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭liamo333

There talking about it now!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭liamo333

Someone call in!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭padmundo

Seems to be a very narrow minded group they have on.

The link to the original article...

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/news/story.asp?j=31125&cat=news

Advertisement