Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stardust

• 12-02-2006 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Anyone watching? Pretty ****ing disturbing stuff if you ask me...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Yea looking at it here , pretty scarey stuff.

Locked fire escapes ,.Absoultely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Watching it alright. It is a bit disturbing. Id say it would be impossible for any relatives of anyone killed to watch. But good to hit home with people too young to remember the extent of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

There's a bit of a debate going on about it in After Hours at the moment. I'd repost it here, but I think double posting if frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Heartbreaking stuff.

I live locally and went down to the Stardust that night after I'd heard explosions from the fire. I was about the right age for the Stardust at the time but a lack of money and a bigger interest in live music meant that I never went there. By the time me and my sister got down to find out what was happening it looked as if everyone had got out okay. There were a few people sitting sitting on the kerb and the fire brigades and ambulances looked as if they were finishing up. We went home believing that everyone got out alive.

It was shocking the next morning to find out about the terrible loss of life. I didn't know anyone who died that night but other members of my family did.

I'm really not sure if RTE have done the right thing in airing this programme. Admittedly it will draw attention to the appalling breaches of safety regulations and how badly the families were treated in the aftermath, but it must be really tough on the those same families and the survivors and their families to see the events of that awful night prtrayed so graphically.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

I hear what you're sayin charles. Very shocking. I agree that its not gonna do the families much good at all. Didn't the families not want this show to be aired?

I still feel pumped up with anger after watchin it. Its an absolute disgrace what happened. I actually wanna punch someone. How has no one been charged yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

removed due to complaints.

yes, too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I still feel pumped up with anger after watchin it. Its an absolute disgrace what happened. I actually wanna punch someone. How has no one been charged yet?

Watch tommorow nights part. The inquiry found no fault on the part of the owner (the fact he was quite friendly with CJ probably helped him out on that front...)

I really think this drama needed to be made to not only remember those who lost their lives but also to show how badly the inquiry was handled and how the lessons of that night have NOT been fully learned to this day.

Remember a lot of people really have no idea what happened that night (check the thread on AH for evidence of this) and maybe if the result of this drama is that the inquiry is reopened then its worth the hurt itcould cause (i can only imagine how hard it must be for survivors and family members to watch this)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Thats what I was thinking Dustaz. The relatives didn't want this made. But more good could come out of it than anything else because more people will understand what happened and put more pressure on Bertie for an enquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Heartbreaking stuff.

I live locally and went down to the Stardust that night after I'd heard explosions from the fire. I was about the right age for the Stardust at the time but a lack of money and a bigger interest in live music meant that I never went there. By the time me and my sister got down to find out what was happening it looked as if everyone had got out okay. There were a few people sitting sitting on the kerb and the fire brigades and ambulances looked as if they were finishing up. We went home believing that everyone got out alive.

It was shocking the next morning to find out about the terrible loss of life. I didn't know anyone who died that night but other members of my family did.

I'm really not sure if RTE have done the right thing in airing this programme. Admittedly it will draw attention to the appalling breaches of safety regulations and how badly the families were treated in the aftermath, but it must be really tough on the those same families and the survivors and their families to see the events of that awful night prtrayed so graphically.

Great post Charles, go to the After Hours thread also to find more heartbreaking stories. Im sorry to hear that you lost family, I did too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

No, too crap, I'm afraid. If you're going to make a joke about a tragedy which claimed 48 young lives, at least give people the pleasure of a guilty snigger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

EDIT: Quote Removed.

Its sick that somebody would try to make a joke out of the deaths of 48 kids and the suffering that their families went through and are still going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I believe Prime Time is doing a big report into this during the week.

As for the Stardust drama. I thought it was very well done, but very hard to watch.

The fire scene was a little too graphic. IMO.

I was expecting more about the following 5 years then just one episode, which airs tonight.

Weather or not RTE should make such a drama. I think they should have consulted the families more so during the making of the program rather then when they where finished.

But yes I think RTE should make more drama's like this. Should ITV and C4 have made their films on Bloody Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

EDIT: Quote removed.

Sick Bastard, You really have no concept of the hurt that people are still suffering as a result of this tragedy and you pipe in with your trite effort of comedy??
    You are not funny, you are not entertaining, all you are is a sick, immature, piece of ****. If this gets me a ban, so be it, you are not getting away with posting such insulting and insensitive nonsense as this.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

As much as a programme like this may not be wanted by the victims' families, stories like this need to be told in a way that gets through to more people. In this day and age, that way is Film or Television. Who knows, this TV programme could mean someone complains about a blocked fire exit that otherwise would have been ignored which could save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I'm after watching it with my aunt, she satrted crying last nights one, I thought when the sister found out the othrs had died was really heartbreaking.The families had to preview it before it was aired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Was working Sunday night so I missed it,and therefore didn't see much point in watching tonight's one. Does anyone know if RTE plan to repeat it at any stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Did anybody record it as I missed both nights?

Send a link if you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I'm after watching it with my aunt, she satrted crying last nights one, I thought when the sister found out the othrs had died was really heartbreaking.The families had to preview it before it was aired.

The second episode was harder to watch. Hopefully they will get the case reopened.

Advertisement