Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PC build for Revit 2013

• 03-03-2013 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

My mate wants to build a PC for using Revit 3D. Wants a sshd and at least 8gig ram and 3gig graphics memory, is that suitable ? Any advice on a build for less than €1000

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ronanphilip

sorry, should have posted this I guess

1. What is your budget? €1000 Max

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Rivet 2013 3D Design Software

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? standard hard drive (sshd needed)

5. Do you need a monitor? not included in budget

5a. If yes, what size do you need. -

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? -

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? no

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? no

8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser

9. When are you purchasing? within 4 weeks

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

My mate wants to build a PC for using Revit 3D. Wants a sshd and at least 8gig ram and 3gig graphics memory, is that suitable ? Any advice on a build for less than €1000

Thanks for your help

No

Coming from that sorta backround - revit, sketch up, 3d cad etc, you need at least 16gb of ram, and a decent processor, i7 at least otherwise if you're doing 3d work, you could take a holiday and the thing would still be rendering or working when you get back

Also if he got what I have in bold it's gona lag like no tomorrow

Just my experiences though, spend a bit more and you get better results

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

With €1,000? That's just silly. Here:

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€202.90
    16GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz 16GB PC3-12800U CL9|€88.24
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€83.99
    Gainward GeForce GTX 650, 1GB GDDR5, VGA, DVI, Mini HDMI|€95.43
    Seasonic G-450, 450 Watt, 80PLUS Gold|€82.99
    Crucial M4 256GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€173.24
    FRACTAL DESIGN Define R4 Titanium Grey|€97.00
    Corsair Hydro Series H100i|€103.76
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€946.54

I'll admit that I don't use Revit, but I can Google with the best of 'em, and from what I've seen, Revit likes clocks more than cores when it comes to CPUs, so I've gone with a 3570K, and a very good cooler to be able to overclock the hell out of it.
    I've also thrown in 16GB of RAM, and there's just about enough left in the budget to double it if need be.
    There's a mid-range GPU in there too. Low-end, if you were to think of it in gaming terms. While Revit doesn't support GPU rendering (yet) it can offload project to VRAM, and there are, as far as I'm aware, third-party plug-ins that do allow support for CUDA-based rendering, in which case you'll get an insane performance boost.
    There's also a nice, quiet case, and a very power efficient PSU in there, and a 256GB solid state drive.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ronanphilip

Bringing back up this old thread. Thanks for the help so far.

My mate still has not bought a machine, he does not want to build himself.

We are looking at this one on ankermann
    http://www.ankermann.com/en/PC-Laptop/PC-systems/Ankermann-PC-Systeme/Bildbearbeitungs-PC-SSD-i7-4790-GTX650~~65738.html

What you think, is it a good option ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Doesn't look it. I'm a gamer not an applications expert but the GPU looks underpowered, the PSU and case seem like very cheap options.

Have a look on adverts / ask here for someone to do a build for you. Although if you can put together Ikea furniture you can build a PC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement