Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lidl Woodgate Cider review

• 27-08-2014 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody here has ever drank this? It's an inexpensive cider from Lidl that comes in two flavours - original and pear, and is contained in either 500 ml cans or 2 ltr bottles. A pack of 4 cans is about €4.50. Has anybody has tried this, what did they think of it? And if you haven't, do you reckon a cider that cheap, can still taste good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If it's inexpensive why don't you just buy it and tell us what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It is no better or worse than any cheap cider in that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

i had the pear one at a bbq last week. not too sweet like i thought it'd be..but i almost never drink an cider so wouldnt have much of a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The regular apple cider has artificial sweeteners in it and I can taste them easily enough -I am not usually that good at spotting it and not that fussy. Still is acceptable enough and on a par with other cheap and/or lower quality ciders (I would include overpriced bulmers in that group, though it has more of an alcopop taste). I wish they would have just kept it dry without the sweeteners.

I would prefer tesco cider, which is 3.99 for 2L, just a little more than lidls. Lidls is still a lot better than some I have tried in my time, so give it a go.
    do you reckon a cider that cheap
    They might be making very little profit on it, if any, while others like bulmers are raking it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭squonk

Could you use if for cooking? The artificial sweetners doesn't sound great. I'd prefer a good cheap dry cider. Then again I'd use Bulmers for cooking as that's all it's good for! Expensive option though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

squonk wrote: »
    Could you use if for cooking? The artificial sweetners doesn't sound great.
    You could probably cook with it but might be forced to buy 4 cans minimum, some lidl beers must be bought in 4 or 6 packs.

I reckon other producers use sweeteners but just do not declare it, due to the ridiculous exemption on alcoholic beverages to declare ingredients.

Tesco are very good at declaring ingredients and calorific value. Their cider is very low in calories per unit alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

I found the apple cider one very sweet, haven't tried the other flavour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

How does this compare to Bulmers? I have little money at the moment and am wondering is there much of a difference. I cannot drink Druids, it's too disgusting. Is it similar to Druid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Macavity. wrote: »
    How does this compare to Bulmers? I have little money at the moment and am wondering is there much of a difference. I cannot drink Druids, it's too disgusting. Is it similar to Druid?

A four pack is €4.50....

A four pack is €4.50....

Oh, I meant taste wise. The reason I'm considering it is because it's so cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Two words, Stone and House.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,870 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Two words, Stone and Well.

FYP.

That doesn't come cheap though unfortunately.

The Woodgate Cider is very nice, would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

Nice drop of cider good price and a kick to it. I'll be on it tonight watchind the Poland game.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Biloxi Blues

Just trying it tonight, pretty good and better than I expected and shows what a rip-off Bulmers is as it it at least as good and probably better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

Where in Ireland is the Aldi Orchard cider brewed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

It's a fine sup for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Emmabri

I prefer the pear cidre, its £1.99 at my lidl. Deffinatly worth it for the price. Great for bbqs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Think we can close this zombie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement