Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

17 and looking for insurance on a bora... It's crazy...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Something like a Punto... :)

Hehe, yeah but even at that the 1.2l engine isn't ideal. If I was starting again I'd be looking for something even smaller to get the ball rolling. In my first 4 years of car ownership I spent around €10,000 on insurance. Young and stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My first car was a daewoo matiz, 800cc. Tin can on wheels. I was 23, female and had named driver experience. I was on a provisional.

My insurance was 1800. The following year I had passed my test, increased to a 1.6 engine and was paying 300.

All you can really do op is choose a small car, pass your test and build up experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

ash23 wrote: »
    My first car was a daewoo matiz, 800cc. Tin can on wheels. I was 23, female and had named driver experience. I was on a provisional.

My insurance was 1800. The following year I had passed my test, increased to a 1.6 engine and was paying 300.

All you can really do op is choose a small car, pass your test and build up experience.

Are you still female?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Any way you can go under someone else for the first year so you can get a years no claims experience and your full? I don't see the point in getting a poxy micra or that for the sake of saving 500e and still paying thousands for insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

JC01 wrote: »
    Any way you can go under someone else for the first year so you can get a years no claims experience and your full? I don't see the point in getting a poxy micra or that for the sake of saving 500e and still paying thousands for insurance

With the right car the OP will be saving a lot more than €500. Something like a 04 Yaris would be cheaper to insure than a 15 year old Micra.

The problem is simply that Boras have a reputation. Same problem that a 17 year old would have had insuring a late 90s 1.4 Civic a few years ago; we all know that they are not exactly performance cars, but the insurance profile says that they are high risk.

IMO there is no point in throwing thousands down the drain to insure something like a Bora at 17. A couple of years experience and NCB coupled with a full license would see the OP probably save a few grand which they can put towards buying something decent when they are in a position to insure it realistically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Are you still female?

It doesn't matter anymore with the new insurance rules. Male, female, hermaphrodite. Its all the same in the brave new world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Bio Mech wrote: »
    It doesn't matter anymore with the new insurance rules. Male, female, hermaphrodite. Its all the same in the brave new world.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm afraid you're the victim of several things OP:

- male
    - provisional license
    - want to insure a car that's seen as "high risk" in the above categories (ie: boy-racer mobile)

Get something smaller, build a year or two of clean driving experience and then change

Advertisement