Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another tax question.

• 01-05-2014 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

We have a second car that only gets used for short journeys to the local shop or emergencies. The tax has been out since the end of January and i need to take the car on a long journey this weekend.

Obviously I have zero chance of getting it changed into my oh's name in time to tax it for a further three months, so I was wondering if I could pay the arrears tomorrow and tax it for the quarter on Tuesday? I can't afford to pay both tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Don't think it works that way, and even if you could pay the arrears alone you wouldn't get a new disc anyway (which I gather is what you want). Since your tax is expired by more than 2 months your car can be impounded on the spot if a Garda caught it on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Don't think it works that way, and even if you could pay the arrears alone you wouldn't get a new disc anyway (which I gather is what you want). Since your tax is expired by more than 2 months your car can be impounded on the spot if a Garda caught it on the road.

I didn't expect to get a disc but perhaps some record that i had paid the arrears. I'll obviously ring the office tomorrow to confirm one way or another, just said i'd try here first.

I understand that the car would be impounded, if this doesn't work i won't be risking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'd imagine it doesn't really matter if you pay the arrears or not, the tax is still technically out since Jan whatever way you look at it. Thats what the disc in the window says, thats what ANPR will say.

I'd imagine it doesn't really matter if you pay the arrears or not, the tax is still technically out since Jan whatever way you look at it. Thats what the disc in the window says, thats what ANPR will say.

Would it not say on the ANPR that there is no arrears owed on the car?

Anyway it looks cheaper to rent a car for the 24hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Would it not say on the ANPR that there is no arrears owed on the car?

Anyway it looks cheaper to rent a car for the 24hrs.

It would still state that the car has no tax as you would not have paid for the following three months up front

• Advertisement

I didn't expect to get a disc but perhaps some record that i had paid the arrears. I'll obviously ring the office tomorrow to confirm one way or another, just said i'd try here first.

I understand that the car would be impounded, if this doesn't work i won't be risking it.
    Fair enough, guessed you were hoping to get a disc to avoid attracting unwanted attention and seizure.

There will be a record in the National Vehicle and Driver File. I would hope the file would be updated immediately and available to the Gardaí quickly but that may not be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Fair enough, guessed you were hoping to get a disc to avoid attracting unwanted attention and seizure.

There will be a record in the National Vehicle and Driver File. I would hope the file would be updated immediately and available to the Gardaí quickly but that may not be the case.

Pay online including back tax print off your payments record on your own printer and carry it with you.

When / if stopped show garda the print off.

You will legally be taxed but not have the disc
    the worse case will be fine for non display of disc and asked to produce tax in garda station within 10 days.

Also be careful where you park as traffic warden only accept disc in window. So will issue fine if they come across your car parked in public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

visual wrote: »
    Pay online including back tax print off your payments record on your own printer and carry it with you.

As far as I know you can't pay arrears online you need to go in person to a motor tax office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

We have a second car that only gets used for short journeys to the local shop or emergencies. The tax has been out since the end of January and i need to take the car on a long journey this weekend.

Obviously I have zero chance of getting it changed into my oh's name in time to tax it for a further three months, so I was wondering if I could pay the arrears tomorrow and tax it for the quarter on Tuesday? I can't afford to pay both tomorrow.

I just answered a post from someone else who was caught speeding ( 140 in a 120 kph zone ) with no NCT and now someone who freely admits to using an untaxed car "for going to the shops". What gives? Tax, insurance, licence, NCT are all legal requirements. If you don't have these, you shouldn't be driving. I pay hefty road tax for the pleasure of often driving my car once a fortnight, to work, where it remains parked until I return. I can't offer the excuse that " Sure,I'm hardly using it" It's my choice and I don't like it nor do I agree with the current tax system, but that's how it is.

Note* The OP's location is given as "Laughing at you" How appropriate!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

As far as I know you can't pay arrears online you need to go in person to a motor tax office.

Yes, you can

• Advertisement

sogood wrote: »
    I just answered a post from someone else who was caught speeding ( 140 in a 120 kph zone ) with no NCT and now someone who freely admits to using an untaxed car "for going to the shops". What gives? Tax, insurance, licence, NCT are all legal requirements. If you don't have these, you shouldn't be driving. I pay hefty road tax for the pleasure of often driving my car once a fortnight, to work, where it remains parked until I return. I can't offer the excuse that " Sure,I'm hardly using it" It's my choice and I don't like it nor do I agree with the current tax system, but that's how it is.

Note* The OP's location is given as "Laughing at you" How appropriate!

Where did i say that i had used the car while untaxed?

Answer = Nowhere.

I couldn't afford to re tax the car at the end of January and haven't used it since because of that reason.

Anyway i rang the tax office and i can bring in the log book with my oh's details on the change of ownership part and they will send off the book and i can tax it today for whatever period i want and not have to pay the arrears.

Who's laughing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Apologies if I misinterpreted what you said in your original post. But see above and my reading of it is that this car, which has been untaxed since the end of January, is only used to go to the shops and for "emergencies" whatever that might be.

If you got the matter sorted to your satisfaction and financial benefit, then well done. As stated, I don't like paying exorbitant tax just to own my car, but it's the law, like it or not.

I'm happy for you.

sogood wrote: »
    Apologies if I misinterpreted what you said in your original post. But see above and my reading of it is that this car, which has been untaxed since the end of January, is only used to go to the shops and for "emergencies" whatever that might be.

If you got the matter sorted to your satisfaction and financial benefit, then well done. As stated, I don't like paying exorbitant tax just to own my car, but it's the law, like it or not.

I'm happy for you.

No worries.

I should have explained it more clearly.

Pity you didn't make use of Form RF150 in Jan, it's free and would have saved you the cost of arrears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

He has wangled himself out of paying the arrears.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

You can't pay arrears without paying tax, as you are not due those arrears before you go to pay the tax.

Advertisement