Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community - Season 4 [US] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

EyeSight wrote: »
    People need to stop idiolising Harmon, sure we all owe him for creating an amazing tv show. But there was a lot of weak episodes in season 3 while he was there. This episode isn't as bad as those weak ones.
    Agree with this. It was by no means a brilliant episode but I still enjoyed it and it had enough touches of Community-insanity. I do feel that people are ready to shred it, being tougher because Harmon isn't there.
    I hear that the Dean has written episode 9 :)
    I hope writing, and probably starring, in the same episode won't be too Dean-manding on him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

The episode was pretty all over the place, although I must say I laughed out loud at Blonde/Blind

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Strong ratings...the fans tuned it, lets hope it holds!.....6 seasons and a (tv) movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Strong ratings...the fans tuned it, lets hope it holds!.....6 seasons and a (tv) movie!

ratings were already posted. try to keep up old chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Do you like the show or not? I'm confused

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

He likes the business and personally I don't see anything wrong with that.

I'm giving it 3/4 episodes before I come up with a proper judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

good sport Richard.

Season 5 is looking more and more likely as the days go by.
    pretty much every new NBC sitcom has tanked and their veteran shows are all ending.

I'm very hopeful that the show will get back into its rhythm over the next couple of weeks.

I also think that the criticism is understandable and people shouldn't just write it off as fanboys being picky. The show undeniably had a few issues the other night and I don't see the problem with discussing them. It'd be worse if people were all pretending to like it for the sake of liking it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

phasers wrote: »
    good sport Richard.

Season 5 is looking more and more likely as the days go by.
    pretty much every new NBC sitcom has tanked and their veteran shows are all ending.

I'm very hopeful that the show will get back into its rhythm over the next couple of weeks.

I also think that the criticism is understandable and people shouldn't just write it off as fanboys being picky. The show undeniably had a few issues the other night and I don't see the problem with discussing them. It'd be worse if people were all pretending to like it for the sake of liking it imo.

Yeah.. I was thinking earlier about how Seinfeld didn't dip in quality after Larry David left, so hopefully Harmon's absence won't be too obvious.

Although I can't imagine the show without Pierce. I know he's not universally adored by fans, but I think he's a brilliant part of the show and the group without him would be a body missing a limb.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Good to have Community back - and it was certainly better than some of the low points of last season - but it did seem to have a very different feel to it.... a bit too 'pandering' in some places, a bit too 'smooth' in other places.... and sometimes very contrived. Some of it felt very 'Happy Endings'-esque... which I guess is no surprise.

The link to what the writer said seems really spot on - they tried to do a lot and maybe 'over compensate'... Hopefully the bits that seem to be transcribed from pages 75-94 of "The All-American Guide on How to be 'Zany' and 'Fun' to Appeal to a Cult Demographic in a Mainstream American TV Show" were just first episode jitters.

As for Frank Willard.... wow.... never knew he was supposed to be Pierce.... it would have been a very different character... Willard might be an American Great, but he's been smooth and collected in every role I've seen him - I'd have a hard time believing him as Pierce.... then again, maybe the character would have been a little less ornery and more the side-kick to Troy that was originally intended.

All very interesting, am looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

What on Earth was that? It was a show trying really hard to be Community but failing. I'm expecting to see a sharp drop off in the ratings; they're certainly positive but I wouldn't put too much stock in them.

I'm a Community fan, but I don't want more episodes like that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At this stage, Community has already passed into televisual myth, between its cult following & eternal threat of cancellation; I'm not surprised the first episode got such high ratings, there was bound to be keen interest, and to see what the fuss was about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Yeah.. I was thinking earlier about how Seinfeld didn't dip in quality after Larry David left, so hopefully Harmon's absence won't be too obvious.

I know that this isn't really an argument for this thread, but I would say that there was a pretty noticeable dip in the quality of Seinfeld after Larry David left. Jerry took over the main writing and producing process and his preference towards absurdity and silliness really told IMO.

As for Harmon's absence, even though it's too soon to judge, I imagine that there will also be a noticeable difference of some degree. Whether it will be for better or worse quality wise, we shall see.

• I thought it was pretty terrible, truth be told.

I thought it was pretty terrible, truth be told.

Worse than average? Sure.

But terrible? Unless you're one of these die hard Harmon followers, then I genuinely can't begin to understand how you thought that episode was terrible. It had a lot of stuff to address from last season and if you love the show itself, and not Dan Harmon, you'll know it can only get better.

But each to their own I suppose

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I thought it was pretty decent. I got a bit of a shock at the start, I'd heard rumours that they were going to add a laugh track and thought that they actually had. I almost switched off in disgust up until I saw "Pierce" and new it wasn't real :)

I think the only real problem I had with the episode was that they were trying too hard to make it great by cramming so many things in. But they didn't seem to be trying to dumb it down, and they don't seem to be running out of ideas either, so I'm pretty optimistic for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah it wasn't awful. Very few LOL moments, but the whole episode was amusing. God that sounds horrible. Hopefully it will be back on track next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, 'amusing' seems about right to describe the episode. It wasn't dreadful or disastrous by any means (though the material featuring the Dean skirted the closest to that) but just mildly distracting without being particularly funny or memorable. So yeah: the sequel/series nobody wanted heh. Early days though so let's see how it goes

I know that this isn't really an argument for this thread, but I would say that there was a pretty noticeable dip in the quality of Seinfeld after Larry David left. Jerry took over the main writing and producing process and his preference towards absurdity and silliness really told IMO.

As for Harmon's absence, even though it's too soon to judge, I imagine that there will also be a noticeable difference of some degree. Whether it will be for better or worse quality wise, we shall see.
    Just my opinion of course, I didn't think the quality suffered, but yeah it definitely became a different kind of show with different styles of humour; I just still loved it.

I guess I'm hoping that even if the show is changed without Harmon, I'll still find it great..!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Bits like Troy and Britta in the fountain would have been squashed by Harmon before they were even written, I predict more and more of lazy American sit-com cliches like that will start to creep in now that he's not there to handle the elaborate references and witty bits that made community unique. Changnesia and baby Pearse speaking Japanese and bouncing around on the cartoon cleavage had me pissing myself like the old community though, also every scene with Alison Brie...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

i'd say give it a few episodes to find it's feet this is like judging a football game over 2 legs on the first 5 minutes of the match.

It's been almost a year since it was on the screen last.

It's going to be a bit rusty. Expectations have been built up.

Jim Rash wrote an episode and Donald Glover i'd say has some input into the writing too

The actors know the characters. The showrunner may have changed but it seems a lot of the same writing staff are there.

As many others have speculated, NBC is losing 2/3 comedys this year. They can either take a gamble with some new ones next year or stick with one for a season or two more till they find there next hit. Either way they have a built in fanbase for community and know it will pull in a few million.

Stay with the devil you know rather than the one you don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, 'amusing' seems about right to describe the episode. It wasn't dreadful or disastrous by any means (though the material featuring the Dean skirted the closest to that) but just mildly distracting without being particularly funny or memorable. So yeah: the sequel/series nobody wanted heh. Early days though so let's see how it goes
    Amusing is fair, I agree, but only just. Truth be told I have seen more "amusing" episodes of 2 Broke Girls - and that is sad.

Amusing is fair, I agree, but only just. Truth be told I have seen more "amusing" episodes of 2 Broke Girls - and that is sad.

I like the one where they're broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

TheStook wrote: »
    Worse than average? Sure.

But terrible? Unless you're one of these die hard Harmon followers, then I genuinely can't begin to understand how you thought that episode was terrible.
    I wasn't a "die-hard Harmon follower" (truth be told, I found some of season 3 pretty damn middling) but this was the first episode of Community where I didn't even smirk.

It wasn't just the absurdity or how jarring Abed TV was.. it wasn't the horribly contrived Britta & Troy fountain moment.. it was simply not funny!

Basq wrote: »
    I wasn't a "die-hard Harmon follower" (truth be told, I found some of season 3 pretty damn middling) but this was the first episode of Community where I didn't even smirk.

It wasn't just the absurdity or how jarring Abed TV was.. it wasn't the horribly contrived Britta & Troy fountain moment.. it was simply not funny!

I think somebody mentioned it here or maybe it was another forum but-

You probably didn't smirk because you had no intention of smirking before you even watched the episode. Maybe you genuinely didn't find it funny and that's fair enough but I've a feeling the majority of critics here went into that episode with a negative mindset straight away

Just my twopence

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You probably didn't smirk because you had no intention of smirking before you even watched the episode. Maybe you genuinely didn't find it funny and that's fair enough but I've a feeling the majority of critics here went into that episode with a negative mindset straight away
    I was genuinely chuffed at the choice of showrunners...
    Recommend everyone should watch a few episodes of 'Happy Endings' before jumping to conclusions here.

'Happy Endings' does the best pop culture references of any show in the last few years - even trumping Community in that respect.

And while Happy Endings doesn't do bad with ratings.. it's far from safe in renewal terms and doesn't appeal to a mainstream audience either. These were probably the best replacements we could have hoped for.
    Put simply - I didn't smirk because I didn't find it funny..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That's true, Basq was championing the new lads from the beginning.

Is that enough to get people to stop claiming Harmon fanboys are just whining? The discussion is just going around in circles at this stage.

I think somebody mentioned it here or maybe it was another forum but-

Just my twopence

That's a convenient, and slightly back-handed, way of dismissing those who just didn't find the episode funny. Nobody wants to hate a show, consciously or otherwise; give people some credit! It's worth pointing out that a lot of people, including myself, didn't feel Series 3 was super-consistent or wonderful either: it had some severely rough patches & arguably the whole run the show has shown as many dips as it has peaks. The first few episodes of series 1 were garbage for a start...

Sinfonia wrote: »
    I like the one where they're broke.

Cupcakes.

Wasn't impressed tbh. Someone posted on this thread about how it's Changed and that was the funniest thing about the episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

History of Ice Cream was a bit of a ripoff of Priority Registration from the Paintball episode aswell.

Advertisement