Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

ballooba wrote: »
    No, you have to collect it at their depot. I had an issue when mine was delivered last year.

Mine fit in one of the larger lockers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

To be honest, that's not much of a backup. One fire or break-in, and everything's gone. Offsite or cloud is the way to go.

try backblaze or crashplan

About €5 a month unlimited cloud backup space. I wouldn't be without the service now

Crashplan backs up NAS drives, both do external drives, however, backblaze will delete your external drive backup if it does not back it up once every 30 days!!

Backblaze has better software, but they're both equally as good for cloud backups and you can access your files anywhere with them too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭ Foster Large Orangutan

try backblaze or crashplan

About €5 a month unlimited cloud backup space. I wouldn't be without the service now

Crashplan backs up NAS drives, both do external drives, however, backblaze will delete your external drive backup if it does not back it up once every 30 days!!

Backblaze has better software, but they're both equally as good for cloud backups and you can access your files anywhere with them too

I too use Crashplan, because they let you control your own encryption key, which is a must if you store client data on your machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

I was reading up on these, and someone else in another thread recommends symform. Free for up to 10 GB, and from then on the more local storage you contribute to symform, the more cloud back up you get. They use RAID96 themselves, and distribute your data in encrypted chunks of 64 mb to 96 (I think) other symform users out there etc etc.

Sounds ideal as I would only want to back up about 100-150 gb of picture and vidoes. So that's 150 gb upload, and 300 gb contribution to symform and it should be okay over sky's "slow but unlimited" broadband that I have. Can anyone thing of any issues with symform?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well, I'm now one of ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

3-2-1 is the only way to go with important data.

3 copies of your data on different media, 2 onsite and 1 offsite.

1: you have your nas/file server/htpc as your primary storage,
    2: then either with a usb drive attached or a share on another pc/server syncing all your critical data (i wouldn't be including music/movies tv in that).
    3: you then have that backed up to the cloud using google drive, dropbox or whatever other online solution floats your goat to have it all off-site in case of house fire.

also, if you wanted to, you could set a scheduled task to print a list of each of your media folders every day so you know what you have in case you ever lose it. not even any software needed, simple to set up using nothing more complicated than a couple of lines in a windows batch file and the task scheduler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

To be honest, that's not much of a backup. One fire or break-in, and everything's gone. Offsite or cloud is the way to go.

Na it's ok the key on the front will stop them robbing them :pac:

You are right though, it is not a full proof backup by any means, but it does protect against Drive failure, which is probably more likely to happen than Break in and robbery(hopefully any ways!). Personally it suits my needs better than a raid system as I dont want a clone of an entire drive, just a portion of it.

My barrier to entry for cloud at the moment is bb limits. But I'm about to move so should be better going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 twigsirl

claytonie wrote: »
    For anyone looking for the Ireland Claim Form here it is.

They might want to update the T's & C's though: "The closing date for receipt of claim forms is Wednesday 31st July 2013." :)

Elara won't have the 704941-421 in stock until the end of Sept. €229 inc VAT + free delivery before the Cashback offer? I don't see the server listed in their Current Cashback offers for HP though.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

twigsirl wrote: »
    They might want to update the T's & C's though: "The closing date for receipt of claim forms is Wednesday 31st July 2013." :)

They obviously don't pay to much attention to them claim submitted this morning and approved at lunch.

"I am pleased to inform you that your HP ProLiant Microserver Promotion request has been approved and details are below for your reference.

Your individual claim reference number is: HPM***

Your rebate payment of €120 will be sent by cheque made payable to the company or individual name to the address below within 45 days of this email acknowledgement."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭ Foster Large Orangutan

claytonie wrote: »
    They obviously don't pay to much attention to them claim submitted this morning and approved at lunch.

"I am pleased to inform you that your HP ProLiant Microserver Promotion request has been approved and details are below for your reference.

Your individual claim reference number is: HPM***

Your rebate payment of €120 will be sent by cheque made payable to the company or individual name to the address below within 45 days of this email acknowledgement."

Hi, claytonie, that was fast? How did you submit the claim, if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

What is the email address for form submission?

Edit: Turns out its..

promotions at out-bound.co.uk

Hi, claytonie, that was fast? How did you submit the claim, if you don't mind me asking?

To save the whole printing scanning thing, I used https://www.fillanypdf.com/ to fill the PDF in and just did a signature with the mouse then sent an email with the completed claim form and the PDF of my invoice to promotions at out-bound.co.uk

Takes no more than 10mins to complete now its the 45 day wait for the cheque :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

stimpson wrote: »
    Mine fit in one of the larger lockers.
    Yeah, maybe it was just a case of them being full at my local on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

I just bought a N54L + 3TB Hdd from serversplus, also used the code to get free shipping (Thanks to Johnnybean - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86349389&postcount=1066) - 297 Sterling before 100 Pound cashback.
    I'm going to fill in the Irish version of the cashback form (thanks to this thread as well).

Now I need to find some memory in the office.

Just wondering if this memory module would work with the N54L? It's non-ECC.

currys link

Probably the cheapest 4 gb module I've seen so far.

PS: Do Currys sell RAM here in Ireland?.....

PS: They do. .ie link. Not sure if it's in stock though.

positron wrote: »

currys link

:D It looks like they do http://www.digital-forums.com/showthread.php/945280-Extra-RAM-for-HP-Proliant-G7-N54L-Microserver

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dammer

currys link

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :D:D:D

I just picked up 2 of these at PC World Tallaght. 8GB for less the €36. :eek:

It's the thread that keeps on giving...

I also found out that there are 12 of these in PC World Liffey Valley ;)

PC World / Currys internal code for the RAM is 032821

None in PC World Jervis Center either. 12 units still in Tallaght, and some in Dundalk.

I had a look at the innards of N54L, and it looks like they have shipped it with one 2 GB module. Considering all I want to run on this server is unRAID and Plex Media Server to use it solely as a file and media server (not HTPC), and to boot from USB and run completely in memory with no swap file, would 6 GB RAM be sufficient?

Thanks!

None in PC World Jervis Center either. 12 units still in Tallaght, and some in Dundalk.

I had a look at the innards of N54L, and it looks like they have shipped it with one 2 GB module. Considering all I want to run on this server is unRAID and Plex Media Server to use it solely as a file and media server (not HTPC), and to boot from USB and run completely in memory with no swap file, would 6 GB RAM be sufficient?

Thanks!

Probably be grand. There are advantages to running dual channel memory, but this means running identical module sin both slots. 2x 2GB in dual channel mode could well out perform 2GB + 4GB modules in single channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dammer

Thanks!

12 in Tallaght! I was told there were 3 left after I bought mine.

If you can get to PC World Liffey Valley (its the other retail park behind LV itself) go to the tech desk on the right as you enter.

The RAM does not come in retail style packaging so it is sold behind the Tech desk as an upgrade option and not through the normal sales guys.

6GB should be enough, make sure the 4GB is in the first slot (DIMM 0) though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

stimpson wrote: »
    Directplay won't tax the RAM too much. Transcoding is what puts it through its paces.

Would a graphics card help with intensive transcoding or can it all be done in RAM?

Gulliver wrote: »
    Would a graphics card help with intensive transcoding or can it all be done in RAM?

No use whatsoever. Transcoding is done on the CPU, not GPU. There has been some talk of implementing a GPU solution in PMS, but no commitment to do so anytime soon.

If you're just watching at home over Ethernet (and probably even decent wifi)then directplay/direct stream is way better for speed/quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Plenty of Ram available in PC World Liffey Valley.
    Just picked my Server and Ram up, now to try learn how to configure/use Server 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

zep wrote: »
    Plenty of Ram available in PC World Liffey Valley.
    Just picked my Server and Ram up, now to try learn how to configure/use Server 2012
    God dammit, it's times like this that I hate living down the sticks! Seems like all the stock is over on the east coast as none in stock here in Galway according to customer support today. Anywhere else I could find a bargain on ram like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Can someone tell me the basic difference between the hp sever and a buffalo LinkStation
    Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

soundsham wrote: »
    Can someone tell me the basic difference between the hp sever and a buffalo LinkStation
    Thanks

The HP server is more expandable. If you want, you could get a low profile GFX card with HDMI output, as someone has done earlier in this thread and use it as a HTPC. You'll also have 4 bays avail to insert HDDs, and could convert the 5.25 bay for one also. Which'll mean in the long term, you can set it up for much higher storage in comparison to the LinkStation.

The HP server is more expandable. If you want, you could get a low profile GFX card with HDMI output, as someone has done earlier in this thread and use it as a HTPC. You'll also have 4 bays avail to insert HDDs, and could convert the 5.25 bay for one also. Which'll mean in the long term, you can set it up for much higher storage in comparison to the LinkStation.

Not to mention that its a proper server rather than just an external drive with an Ethernet port. You can install whatever OS you like, configure it however you like.

And it's bound to be a fair bit cheaper after cashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

So out of the box this is basically no use if you want it to transcode media to different devices around the house in 720/1080p but perfectly usuable as a nas to play media off devices that can transcode natively, or as a storage/backup solution of course ;)

JHet wrote: »
    So out of the box this is basically no use if you want it to transcode media to different devices around the house in 720/1080p but perfectly usuable as a nas to play media off devices that can transcode natively, or as a storage/backup solution of course ;)

I'd only use transcoding for playback over 3G. In the house I can direct play stuff on my nowTV box at 720p without transcoding. Same with iPad/iPhone. I have transcoded stuff with it. It takes a minute or two to buffer but once it plays its fine although the quality suffers.

• Advertisement

Dammer wrote: »
    12 in Tallaght! I was told there were 3 left after I bought mine.

My bad. I think he actually said 12 in Liffey Valley, not Tallaght (I mix up these two very often enough :o).

Liffey Valley is a bit out of my way, I think I will let this pass. If anyone want to send their 2GB module to a good home, please PM me. :pac:

Advertisement