Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Platform for Online SHop

Options
  • 13-05-2015 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am setting up an online shop for a local club that I am involved with.

I had always planned to set it up using Prestashop as I already have a Shop up and running (for work) using an old version of Prestashop and I know my way around it.

However, I am now thinking that even though, the primary reason for setting up the site is to get the shop running, I will possibly want to add a few things to it in the future. One thing for example, to be able to display a Google Calendar plugin which will show pitch availability. And if I want to do something like this, I might be limiting myself by using a dedicated eCommerce platform like Prestashop.

I have used Joomla to create a few marketing websites (no ecommerce) over the last 12 months so I would be fairly familiar with it.

I am thinking that I would be better off using Joomla with the free J2Store plugin . The only thing I'd have to pay for is a Stripe plugin for J2Store which is only $25 and I can live with that.

What do you think ? Is Joomla + J2Store the way to go ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I use WordPress for everything so I would recommend WooCommerce on WordPress. It will not limit adding things to it in the future.

For your pitch availability, you could have a simple custom post type (CPT) with the Advanced Custom Fields (ACF) plugin. Essentially each pitch would be an entry in the admin area. It could have a Yes/No dropdown for availability. You could also include directions to it. On the front end you could display the pitches with the Yes/No value, even sorting them with available pitches first.
    I am using a CPT with ACF for a task status in a current project. I'll happily post the code somewhere.

Edit: As you are familiar with Joomla, you are probably right that it would be the best way to go for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭manjosh

I suggest you give shopify a try. A little bit on the expense side, but still easy social integration and a pick and drop kind off setup. If you do not like that, woocommerce loads of themes and plugin to make you job an icecream.

Advertisement