Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What software does the like of joe.ie run?

Options
  • 12-05-2015 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

euser1984 wrote: »
    Thanks in advance...

You may need to clarify that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Sorry, what framework is the website built on....hope that's clearer...?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

In general, to see what technologies are used on a site, check out http://builtwith.com

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Could be any number of frameworks and languages such is web development.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Get the 'BuiltWith' extension for Firefox. It will provide a lot of information regarding what the site or any site is built with.

Can't seem to figure out what CMS it's based on? I was assuming it would probably be drupal...

Probably custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

Giblet wrote: »
    Probably custom.

What would lead you to believe it is a custom job?

Because square1 seem to develop their own platforms, they may use some open source software as a base though.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking that given the amount of modules available on Drupal....although I have been looking on "built with" and it has surprised me to find that the much much larger share of the cms market is under "other"....

Maybe site developers hide the ability for these services like "built with" to identify? Security concerns perhaps...thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

having worked with some square1 staff before they're all maninly php heads, Yii is probably their framework of choice given their github profile.

There are so many options out there it must be great if you know what your doing. I find for the casual observer like myself I am often saturated with information and so many options like Wordpress or Drupal, servers, Apache, hosting, CMS that I wouldn't really know where to dive in if I wanted to create a bog standard website with a small user database as a learning project.

I studied Java and C in college, got on great, really enjoyed it actually. But I never got to use code for anything other than generic programs to run within the IDE.

What would some of you guys recommend as a path towards getting to the standard of creating something small scale as mentioned above, part-time as a hobby.

I created a Wordpress website before, and I also used Dreamweaver to create another website a few years back. That really is the extend of my web development career so far :-)

There are so many options out there it must be great if you know what your doing. I find for the casual observer like myself I am often saturated with information and so many options like Wordpress or Drupal, servers, Apache, hosting, CMS that I wouldn't really know where to dive in if I wanted to create a bog standard website with a small user database as a learning project.

I studied Java and C in college, got on great, really enjoyed it actually. But I never got to use code for anything other than generic programs to run within the IDE.

What would some of you guys recommend as a path towards getting to the standard of creating something small scale as mentioned above, part-time as a hobby.

I created a Wordpress website before, and I also used Dreamweaver to create another website a few years back. That really is the extend of my web development career so far :-)

Decide on a goal that motivates you enough, to figure out what you need to do to get there....

Is it not a bit all over the place to have all the css rules in one file? I think there was around 2k or something...

Decide on a goal that motivates you enough, to figure out what you need to do to get there....

Your actually right, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Is it not a bit all over the place to have all the css rules in one file? I think there was around 2k or something...
    No. It's more efficient to have all the CSS in a single file. Every HTTP request has associated overheads, fewer requests means faster load times

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    No. It's more efficient to have all the CSS in a single file. Every HTTP request has associated overheads, fewer requests means faster load times

Until HTTP2.0 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Typically (or more like ideally) you'll have multiple CSS files, so developers don't have to work with a God file, and when you build your project you'll merge and minify them to reduce file size and require only one HTTP request. Same kind of thing is done with JavaScript files. Just because the likes of CSS and JavaScript are interpreted doesn't mean the source files have to be served up 'raw'.

Does anyone here have any opinions on python frameworks....I like the idea of using python....considering I don't know PHP or Ruby on rails....

I'm basing myself on this inforgraphic and just to note python is specified as being faster in this image....I do know that Java isn't the best for a lot of applications but it's still used because it's what most developers know...thus, you know you can get employees on the market fairly easily....whether people agree with this or not that's fine - I don't consider myself any sort of expert in this field.

PROGRAMMING_LANGUAGE_3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Does anyone here have any opinions on python frameworks....I like the idea of using python....considering I don't know PHP or Ruby on rails....

I'm basing myself on this inforgraphic and just to note python is specified as being faster in this image....I do know that Java isn't the best for a lot of applications but it's still used because it's what most developers know...thus, you know you can get employees on the market fairly easily....whether people agree with this or not that's fine - I don't consider myself any sort of expert in this field.

For Python, you are most likely looking at either Flask (for small/quick/simple apps) or Django (for something more robust)

I;d recommend taking a look at Flask first, and getting a simple site up and running. A basic Flask webapp is as easy as:
    from flask import Flask
    app = Flask(__name__)

@app.route('/')
    def hello_world():
        return 'Hello World!'

if __name__ == '__main__':
        app.run()

Once you get the hang of it, you can start looking at Django. A lot of the fundamentals of Django are used in Flask (templating language, views and models etc.) so it will be much easier to pick up.

Flask: http://flask.pocoo.org/docs/0.10/
    Django: https://www.djangoproject.com/
    Others: https://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks

deconduo wrote: »
    For Python, you are most likely looking at either Flask (for small/quick/simple apps) or Django (for something more robust)

I;d recommend taking a look at Flask first, and getting a simple site up and running. A basic Flask webapp is as easy as:
    from flask import Flask
    app = Flask(__name__)

@app.route('/')
    def hello_world():
        return 'Hello World!'

if __name__ == '__main__':
        app.run()

Once you get the hang of it, you can start looking at Django. A lot of the fundamentals of Django are used in Flask (templating language, views and models etc.) so it will be much easier to pick up.

Flask: http://flask.pocoo.org/docs/0.10/
    Django: https://www.djangoproject.com/
    Others: https://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks

I actually want to reverse engineer a news website....not joe.ie though but a similar site....I was using this template with drupal...
    http://demo.morethanthemes.com/newsplus/default/

After messing around with it for a while I decided it was too complex (the code behind it)....what I did was starting collapsing all the javascript in Notepad++ so I could strip it all down to something that made it easier to figure out - feck that now.

I was wondering about joe.ie because; well....just because I've been looking around to see what cms other business' are using....The CSS layout was done completely different to Drupal on joe.ie. I found it impossible to believe that they would create something from scratch given all the modules and extensibility provided by the community with other systems.

Now, I'm wondering if I could implement something similar to that theme in a python framework that I could reverse engineer to understand....I'm not so much interested in python in and of itself; but, I do want to understand a cms....I will learn as much about python as I need to know to understand the cms basically.

Is Django the framework for me?

I actually want to reverse engineer a news website....not joe.ie though but a similar site....I was using this template with drupal...
    http://demo.morethanthemes.com/newsplus/default/

After messing around with it for a while I decided it was too complex (the code behind it)....what I did was starting collapsing all the javascript in Notepad++ so I could strip it all down to something that made it easier to figure out - feck that now.

I was wondering about joe.ie because; well....just because I've been looking around to see what cms other business' are using....The CSS layout was done completely different to Drupal on joe.ie. I found it impossible to believe that they would create something from scratch given all the modules and extensibility provided by the community with other systems.

Now, I'm wondering if I could implement something similar to that theme in a python framework that I could reverse engineer to understand....I'm not so much interested in python in and of itself; but, I do want to understand a cms....I will learn as much about python as I need to know to understand the cms basically.

Is Django the framework for me?

If you can follow the beginner's tutorial here: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.8/intro/tutorial01/ and you understand most of what's going on, it's a good start. To build something like a news site from scratch is going to take a bit a work though.

I created a demo starter project, and threw it up on github here: https://github.com/deconduo/django-demo

The only additions to the standard django template is what's in the newsApp folder. This is a basic app that will allow you to create and view simple articles. The main engines here are the models.py file which basically describes what's going on the database, and the views.py file which controls how the models are displayed. There's also templates which the views hook into to display the content.

I've included the bootstrap files to make it look a bit nicer. It looks something like the below:

EguXiQEl.png

Obviously this is a bit bare, but you can use it as your base and work from there. Stuff like adding some more CSS or adding more to the Article class (like a created time, or a category type)

If you can follow the beginner's tutorial here: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.8/intro/tutorial01/ and you understand most of what's going on, it's a good start. To build something like a news site from scratch is going to take a bit a work though.

I created a demo starter project, and threw it up on github here: https://github.com/deconduo/django-demo

The only additions to the standard django template is what's in the newsApp folder. This is a basic app that will allow you to create and view simple articles. The main engines here are the models.py file which basically describes what's going on the database, and the views.py file which controls how the models are displayed. There's also templates which the views hook into to display the content.

I've included the bootstrap files to make it look a bit nicer. It looks something like the below:

EguXiQEl.png

Obviously this is a bit bare, but you can use it as your base and work from there. Stuff like adding some more CSS or adding more to the Article class (like a created time, or a category type)

I think I should really stick to Drupal seeing as I have a template there which puts me miles ahead of Django in terms of project developnent....at this point in time I don't think it's that important to be taking consideration to speed etc...

Getting everything working in a short amount of time is the main goal....

Getting everything working in a short amount of time is the main goal....

In that case you definitely want to be looking at a CMS rather than starting with a full web framework.

In that case you definitely want to be looking at a CMS rather than starting with a full web framework.

Oh right - I assumed all cms systems were based on a web framework....?

Oh right - I assumed all cms systems were based on a web framework....?

Yes, but the CMS will operate at a higher level. They will take care of most the back-end things so you don't have to. If you want to just get a site up and running, you don't need to care about the framework at all. Just pick a CMS, pick a template and work away.

Learning a web framework means you want the ability to customise your site to a far greater extent than a CMS will allow. It takes more time and involves a lot more code, but it allows for much more flexibility.

What do you think of address? It has a wp-content folder on the server....

http://m0.joe.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/15191911/Mayo-hat-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Talisman

What do you think of address? It has a wp-content folder on the server....

http://m0.joe.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/15191911/Mayo-hat-1.jpg
    Most likely they are using a WordPress installation to manage user contributed content - It's easy to manage and also prevents their own CMS being polluted with short life content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Talisman

Do you want to use a Framework or a CMS? If you want a Python based CMS then look at django CMS, feinCMS, Mezzanine, or Plone.

Advertisement