Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken 7 Discussion Thread

• 14-07-2014 4:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

What do you all make of this trailer? Not too many details really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I don't even know what to make of the trailer in relation to story. Will need more info. All I can say is that I am excited for T7 going UE4 because it heavily implies a PC release! With MKX and Skullgirls both on PC and now even possibly Tekken, I don't think I'll ever have to boot up my Ps3 again. I wonder how tekken will 'feel' not on the arcade engine, though... I hope they can pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

So if this is running on UE4, that probably means Namco is putting more focus on consoles than arcade, ie. we might be getting this not so much later than the Japanese and Koreans.

In terms of story, they look like they're trying to make it compelling and go deeper into the Mishima storyline with the introduction of Kazumi. Also, notice how Jin isn't featured at all in this trailer (flashbacks not included)? The main character of the Tekken series (though some would argue Kazuya) might have actually been killed off, but then again with that Mishima blood, he's probably going to be back somehow.

I know that a TTT2 hasn't been a resounding success in FGC in bringing numbers to casuals and tournaments but perhaps because T7 will be a solo and canon game that can change. Hopefully this will be different gameplay wise and aesthetically enough to get more people into Tekken.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Well a few things have been confirmed about Tekken 7.

1: They are going to make movement easier, no more KBDC! (at least as we now it)
    2: Jun is going to feature in it.

I wonder which characters are going to get the cut? I hope Jin does. Soooo boring.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,194 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I imagine (or rather hope) that it'll be the end of the feud between Heihachi/Kazuya/Jin so that the next game can take a leap forward in time to feature more new characters (sort of like with Tekken 3 or MKX).

Not enough to go on in the trailer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I hope they cut a crapload of characters. A relatively small cast might convince me to start playing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭omara95

It looks like the story is picking up from tekken 6 when Jin isnt around and Heihachi has control of the zaibatsu again, Jin will still be in there somewhere though. Cast should be cut in this one, anyway as long as mishimas are in it I'm happy character wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I hope they cut a crapload of characters. A relatively small cast might convince me to start playing it.

Yea and in game frame data. Maybe shave off 10-20 moves from each character as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

1: They are going to make movement easier, no more KBDC! (at least as we now it)

Really? This is ridiculous. Movement is a crucial part of Tekken and always has been, they can't seriously be dumbing this down?

Ramza wrote: »
    Really? This is ridiculous. Movement is a crucial part of Tekken and always has been, they can't seriously be dumbing this down?

It was a tweet from Harada some few months ago. Given Harada's trolly reputation, I'd doubt this is concrete information.

Macal wrote: »
    It was a tweet from Harada some few months ago. Given Harada's trolly reputation, I'd doubt this is concrete information.

Taking movement from Tekken would be pseudo suicide for high level tekken :( I hope it seriously is a joke

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dreddybajs wrote: »

About 3 other people at the evo event said this to me too.

I heard somewhere from the EVO rumour mill that the roster size is going to be smaller than Tekken 6's. If they're cutting characters though, poor old unpopular Wang is probably on his way out, :(

I don't mind if they cut a lot of characters, you have to go back to T6 and ignore the additional TTT2 ones for clues.

But I do think that cutting moves AND characters would be a bit much. Maybe replace some moves (since every Tekken adds new moves) and that would certainly help.

With Jun confirmed in it, I guess there's no need for Asuka, although people seem to cling to the Asuka/Lili thing, so that'll probably save her. They're both way too popular to cut anyway.

Ignoring the TTT2 additions, I'd say that Baek is likely to go. Less likely but still possible might include... wang, raven, zafina and Ganryu.

I'd like to see these go, but I doubt it'll happen... A. King, Bob, Marduk, changs, Lars, Miguel, Paul, Roger, Dragonov.

@Ramza yeah, I'd say that they will dumb down the movement. It wont affect it too much I'm sure, most people (even the best players) screw up movement all the time, it makes the game look really bad. It's the biggest barrier stopping new players having a solid defense. Honestly the game is hard enough without having to worry about just f**king moving around the screen. I hope Harda wasn't trolling. Roll on the new game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I must be one of the very few that isn't bothered by TTT2's roster size, in fact I love it.

I hope T7 fixes a lot of issues with the storyline ie somehow erase Jinpachi's existence, scratch Lars off, I've been wanting Kazumi in the storyline for years now so we'll see how this pans out (hopefully explain the origin of the devil gene as well) EWGF and cancans pls

Hope there isn't too much of a delay between arcade/console release.

As long as Asuka is in it (maybe Jun too) , I'm happy :D

I hope they don't dumb down movement, it's the main difference between a good player and a bad player (in most cases), being able to bdc consistently is a sign of work being put in and you get rewarded by being able to get out of mixups easier and force whiffs to launch, so I really hope they leave it the way it is.

No idea what chars they're gonna cut out, I think Wang will definitely be cut out, Baek, Ganryu, Anna, Bears, Zafina, Marduk all have a good chance of being cut I think .

Eoin, you wanna see Julia/Michelle go? : (

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Jin is bound to be in it, maybe not Devil Jin if they're cutting the cast, but he's going to appear in some form.

I'd say the most likely to go (outside of the fluff clones in TTT2) are the Ogres, A.King, Baek, Marduk, Ganryu, one of the capos and maybe Wang.

Just keep Miguel, Dragunov, Leo and Steve pls.

I think making the roster smaller and maybe making some system changes is a move in the right direction. ATM Tekken is and always has been a game with an extremely high learning curve (3D fighters generally speaking are, because of their nature), because of the mechanics themselves, and also because the games have had such huge rosters in the last few iterations. These things make it really off putting as someone who wants to try to get into Tekken. The game is really fun and super rewarding, but only if an insane amount of man hours is put in. Tekken is the kind of game where it feels like constant hours of practice and experience never pay off, whereas the same amount of said practice and experience would, for other fighting games. That's just my 2 cents. I still think KOF13 and Tag 2 are the best FGs at the minute in terms of balance and overall gameplay mechanics

Competitively speaking, the current high level tekken scene consists mainly of extremely old school players (mostly korean, where tekken is the main game), or mid level players who take the game 100% seriously, but because of lack of years of EXP seem to dwindle when playing other players who just have an insanely huge edge over said players who have been maining the game for years, and thus know the games inside and out. Take EVO, or any other big US tourney, JDCR and Knee just go ham and wreck USA most every time, I'm pretty sure their win records in America are insanely high. It's like a whole different game they're playing. I know that time and experience will always be rewarded, and I commend that, but the point I'm making is that a comparison can not really be made to 2D fighters ; old school vets will always do well, but each SF is different in some way, brings different system mechanics etc, whereas Tekken doesn't really seem to do this. Old school players who played as far back as Tekken 3//Tag 1/4, have a huge advantage right now, because as far as I know, the games haven't changed much since then, at all, apart from new characters. Movement being such a huge part of the games, also transfers from game to game. The game isn't changing enough or making itself appealing to a different demographic, which IMO is what Tekken needs to bring it further in line with other FGs

Take SF4 back in 09, a lot of the same players top players STILL dominated, and still do, but SF is the kind of game where anyone with determination, can pick it up and put in serious work, and it will pay off. Not because I think it is easier, but because the system itself as not as punishing, and is also more appealing to a casual player. I'm pretty sure there's lots of 09ers who picked up SF as their first serious FG/SF game, and got really into FGS/SF, as a result, this scene itself is testament to that, and that's a great thing. Tekken 6 came out a few months after SF4 IIRC, but SF still dwarfed Tekken in terms of sheer numbers, even though Tekken still had a following here back then. I know myself and others were and still are really into Tekken, but it just did not seem worth it, or appealing, to grind at. For example, in a game like Tekken where something as simple as moving is not only EXTREMELY important, but extremely hard to master and get a hold of, that becomes a huge barrier, as that is a basic mechanic that new players try to naturally grasp first but never can. I think this is something that has to change

TL DR ; If Tekken wants to appeal to a more diverse player base and become more accessible, changes have to be made

I would agree everyone there except Marduk, Keith. I would say he is popular and unique enough to stay. I think if a character shares a few moves with another more popular character (eg. Wang shares a few moves with Julia, with Julia being the more popular character), they'd be pretty likely to go.

The problem is that, even with such a big roster we keep seeing the same characters pop up again and again. Admittedly this got better in TTT2 after T6, but mam oh man, I'm quite sick of seeing Bob and Lars, it's quite ridiculous how good they are in the tag system.

I'm half thinking that since it's using the unreal engine, maybe it will skip arcade altogether? But probably not, they use that time to fix bugs etc.

I'm not too concerned about how they change it, so long as it changes a great deal. Been pretty much playing the same Tekken for nearly 10 years now lol.

You mean offline or online, Skeering? I wouldn't ever use online to really justify to the rate of appearance of characters. As for offline, nobody in our scene mains Bob or Lars or even uses them as a pocket character, unless I'm mistaken. And EVO Top 8? We did have two Bobs with Genkids and Inkog, but Genkid's Bob is truly exceptional. And not a single Lars in sight.

• Advertisement

I have a pocket Lars/Anna and Bob/Ganny ;)

Yeah totally agree with BSG, it feels like the same Tekken game every time, same engine etc. Each new SF series was different and that's what makes it a better game as of now, with regards to appeal to new players, and scene size/accessibility, etc. I feel like general FG skill doesn't translate well to Tekken, Tekken is like it's own beast. With 2D fighters, general skill carries over but each one is different. SF4 was a fresh start for everyone, it was a completely new game with new mechanics, but still let solid players do well, I feel like Tekken isn't like this and it's really a shame because it is a really really fun and rewarding/in depth game

Macal wrote: »
    You mean offline or online, Skeering? I wouldn't ever use online to really justify to the rate of appearance of characters. As for offline, nobody in our scene mains Bob or Lars or even uses them as a pocket character, unless I'm mistaken. And EVO Top 8? We did have two Bobs with Genkids and Inkog, but Genkid's Bob is truly exceptional. And not a single Lars in sight.

Everywhere! Asim, Nobi, Knee, only practice, just practice to name the first few that came to my head. Online also, you know some one is all business when they have Lars as a partner, bob also.

@Fergus - Yeah I think that Julia either needs to go or get her style finalised. After so many years she's constantly been tweaked and still feels like a character with no real direction, despite a move list overhaul...

But if they really are determined to axe characters, I'd say that Wang would go and Julia would come back in classic form with Mad Axes :D

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I have a pocket Lars/Anna and Bob/Ganny ;)

I was kind of referring to pocket characters in tournament, like the way you have with Jun and Miharu on the bench or Jaycee. In the sense of casuals, you're pockets are bursting at the seam with characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Yeah, they really have to take this opportunity to change things up and trim the massive amounts of chaff in the game. We're fresh on the heels of a dream match game with everybody and everything which could and should continue to be played in its own right while the new game does things differently.

My only concern with a roster trim is that while I like a lot of characters in Tekken, most of them would be on the chopping block because I don't really give a **** about any of the core plot relevant characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

On of the reasons I couldn't get into TTT2 was because the movement for one thing was so damn counter - intuitive, at least to someone who's never played Tekken before. That and as mentioned, the learning curve is simply too steep for the average player - I played about 20 - 30 online games of TTT2 the day I got it - I reckon I won about TWO of those games!

The beauty of SF4, for all the crap people give it about unblockables and all that and that it is actually possible to dive in head first and feel like you're making progress quickly - That is how I learnt how to play when I started playing it seriously from Super onwards. Granted, I've hit many a wall in the process but that is what the community is for, to help each other out.

This is something Tekken lacks, I stopped playing TTT2 because I felt like I wasn't making progress and wasn't willing to put in the effort to do because it didn't feel like it would be worth it in the long run.

Simply put, make the game even a little bit more accessible for the average player will go a long way. A 3D fighting game that does that right in my opinion is Soul Calibur 5, that game was far more accessible than TTT2 ever was ( for me anyway. )

Regardless, like almost every other major Fighting Game to come out since I joined, I'll probably be willing to give Tekken 7 at least try when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

@Macal:
    My bro has a pocket lars that he can and does bring out in tournament, but, yeah Bob/lars aint a big problem in our scene atleast.
    2: Jun is going to feature in it.
    3.Character roster willl get cut to between 32-38
    4. He confirmed that he thinks Xaoyu, Baek and Anna (these where the characters specifically asked about) should probably get a buff in the next game
    5. Eliza would appear if enough ppl requested it.
    6. He would try to make the next game 'more dark'
    7. He hates Kazama Can-can kicks too!! :p
    See @ 1 hr 50 mins approx. onwards : http://www.twitch.tv/nycfab/b/547063616

I wonder which characters are going to get the cut? I hope Jin does. Soooo boring.....
    Why don't you like Jin man?

The clones and probably the animals too will get cut.

My only real gripe with TTT2 is that the game is too juggle heavy.
    If they reduced the juggle damage, reduce the roster size to T5~ish size and from an artistic/design perspective I hope they make a return to the more mature and story focused approach of T4.

I agree with Jun DP that in game frame data would make it soo much easier for the average player.
    Perhaps some general play style choice guides for each character and definitely an improved fight lab!!

I disagree with Ramza that movement isn't extremely important, I think like Fergus that it's one of the most important things in the game, but I agree with everything else said.

Misty Chaos is completely right. SF4 is much friendlier to casual players/beginners and that helps draw ppl into it.
    I don't know what they can/should do system mechanics wise to make this happen but a better introductory/fight lab would certainly be a major help.

The beauty of SF4, for all the crap people give it about unblockables and all that and that it is actually possible to dive in head first and feel like you're making progress quickly - That is how I learnt how to play when I started playing it seriously from Super onwards. Granted, I've hit many a wall in the process but that is what the community is for, to help each other out.

You know... I'd have to disagree with this sorry! When I tried to get into SSF IV I put loads of time into learning my character, combos etc... and when I could beat the computer on hard I went online and didn't even get one hit against my first opponent. Honestly, the game is totally unforgiving to beginners. It's no different to Tekken, but at least in Tekken a beginner is bound to get around one good hit in per round.

@Ixayek_usurper - Jin is boring! You don't think so? He's just a Mishima without any of their cool moves. He used to be cool in Tekken 4, but then the game took a "comical" twist and he lost all meaning in the game IMO

Just to illustrate Tekken's comical twist, compare Law's T4 Prologue to...oh Forest's TTT2 one just to drive the point home :) (since it also features Marshall)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q101NEWT0EQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A4K6oBp4Dc

@MistyChaos I agree with the huge learning curve that TTT2 given that's where I started trying to play Tekken competitively, it has taken me probably almost 9 months of playing and practice to even be considered solid. I found that trying to learn movement and throw breaking got put aside for working on character knowledge, which in a game of 50 something characters is imo the most important thing. However I don't agree that the USF4 is an easy game to get into now with all the 43 characters to learn and some advanced features in the game, and that the game has so many experienced players who've been there since Vanilla SF4. Honestly I find Third Strike is my game of choice when I just want to play an easier fighting game.

And yeah, Skeering is right on with Tekken becoming too comical. I can forgive TTT2 since it's a non-canon game. Just compare Paul's T4 ending to his T6 ending.

• Advertisement

I too would love for the game to take a more dark/mature path, that's what they seem to be doing anyway with T7.

I especially hope Ling gets a more significant/mature role (especially after Wang's death and Jin's disappearance) and Miharu to still come back ( :D )

No idea what they can do for tekken to make it easier for new people other than doing a makeover of the entire game. Cutting moves off isn't an option I feel, cutting chars would be (Altho I had no issues with TTT2s roster, I loved having everyone in it and pairing chars up and making dream teams :D ) In game frame data is definitely a good idea though as long as it's accurate (not like the mess Injustice in-game data was in it's early phase)

The way movement is now, it needs to stay that way, it definitely rewards the player who put work in and is usually the clear cut between a good player and a bad one.

One of the things I'm looking forward to is Asuka getting unnecessary buffs cuz everyone thinks she's average when she's actually a really good character :D

Advertisement