Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car not selling on Donedeal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Kaiser D wrote: »
    I'm failing to see how 118k miles is high for a 9 y/o diesel?

I wouldnt have thought that 13k miles a year on a diesel is anywhere near high mileage tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

IMH

- Clean the Interior properly i can see the dirt in the seats.
    - Go out and buy proper legal printed reg plates they will make the 'DL' look less 'DL' if that makes sense.
    - Dont take pictures on an empty road somewhere. Find a nice back drop for example a local landmark like a manor home or a castle residents. It makes the car feel more recongisable and not as if its on the side of the road.

And lastly adjust your price. Is is immediately overpriced to the tune of 1.5K

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Road tax would put anyone off a 1.7L. may be better to trade if changing.

Motor tax on a 1.7 is hardly excessive! €636 for the year or €53 a month. Most people probably spend that on a night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Motor tax on a 1.7 is hardly excessive! €636 for the year or €53 a month. Most people probably spend that on a night out.

Yeah, very hard to explain the popularity of vw tdi of the same age if "no one" will pay 636 for an economical diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Groundsource

You have to be also mindful that alot of 'clocking' goes on with 'D' reg Cars.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Not many nights I spend €636! :cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

You have to be also mindful that alot of 'clocking' goes on with 'D' reg Cars.

It's a dl

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's a dl

Should be fine so.

If you think 636 is not excessive for road tax, you must earn to much:)
    a 2L 2008 is less than 200 per YEAR. Do the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Should be fine so.

I'll never know cause I'm not buying it.wouldn't think there be much need clocking his yoke tho, be alarmed if it was between 60 and 80 r something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What car is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

and how much does the 2008 car cost?

Not many nights I spend €636! :cool::D

You are obviously a canny diesel driver. Us petrol drivers like to party hard.

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    and how much does the 2008 car cost?

Cheeeeeeep taaaaaaax

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I pay that and more for my 06 CMax (1.8 diesel), but I'd have to be pretty stupid to spend thousands and thousands more just to save a few hundred on tax.
    But that is the Irish motoring public. Spending thousands to save hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I pay that and more for my 06 CMax (1.8 diesel), but I'd have to be pretty stupid to spend thousands and thousands more just to save a few hundred on tax.

Everybody on this forum seems to forget that people need to update their cars anyway for other reasons and at that point, it is worth considering the tax cost. Don't forget people did still change their cars before we ever had the cheaper tax.
    I can't see myself getting into something with very low tax but comparing something like a 07 gs 450h v a 08 model, its a no brainer.

In context its not that excessive (compared to say a pre-2008 2L+). Obviously its extortionate overall, and thats not even getting into the farce of the dual taxation system, but in context its slightly higher tax on an older cheaper car, compared to slightly lower tax on a far more expensive post-2008 car.

mickdw wrote: »
    Everybody on this forum seems to forget that people need to update their cars anyway for other reasons and at that point, it is worth considering the tax cost. Don't forget people did still change their cars before we ever had the cheaper tax.
    I can't see myself getting into something with very low tax but comparing something like a 07 gs 450h v a 08 model, its a no brainer.

It depends on the car. You see people overlooking a 2007 model of a car in favour of the "cheap tax" 2008 model, when in reality there is little difference between the cars and they are ultimately spending a couple of grand more in an effort to save maybe €200-€300 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The handiest thing for you OP to do is do a search on Donedeal. Refine your search to cars priced €4500 - €5500 and above 2005 and see the cars available for sale, then ask yourself would you buy a 3dr civic with over 110k miles on it when you could get an 07 saloon with less miles, better spec and not considered a boy racers car, which being honest, what your car looks like.

Drop your price to €3500 which is more realistic and be prepared to take €3000. A three door car has a limited market and it being diesel limits that market further when the 1.4 petrol model is the preferred choice for people wanting that size and style car.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ferry17

Thank you all for your opinions. Just to pick up on a few things mentioned - DL reg - I was aware of the stigma surrounding the DL reg, from talking to dealers in Dublin they say its more to do with the conditions of the roads in Donegal which is understandable. (They're appalling). Its kinda funny as the car has spent the last 4years in Dublin.
    Alloys: The car was imported from England and they are genuine Honda alloys.
    Mileage: The mileage is just about average for a car its age. Its also a diesel so it'll go on for quite a bit longer.
    Tax: The tax for this car is €570.
    Service History: The car had FHSH until 2009. My local garage did the servicing since then.
    Price: According to car valuations and looking at similar cars online she might be overpriced.

Thanks for all your comments. I'll make a few adjustments to my ad and hopefully it'll do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

ferry17 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your opinions. Just to pick up on a few things mentioned - DL reg - I was aware of the stigma surrounding the DL reg, from talking to dealers in Dublin they say its more to do with the conditions of the roads in Donegal which is understandable. (They're appalling). Its kinda funny as the car has spent the last 4years in Dublin.
    Mileage: The mileage is just about average for a car its age. Its also a diesel so it'll go on for quite a bit longer.
    Service History: The car had FHSH until 2009. My local garage did the servicing since then.
    Price: According to car valuations and looking at similar cars online she might be overpriced.

Thanks for all your comments. I'll make a few adjustments to my ad and hopefully it'll do the trick.

Make sure you clearly state that it has a good service history, That should help get a quicker sale (once it's at the right price)

Best of luck with the sale:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 riverrock1

You should be prepared to wait a bit longer for the right buyer to come along.12 days is not a long time for a car to be advertised.I think 3-4 weeks is more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The roads in donegal are considerably better, in fact hugely better than Dublin City roads. I was I Dublin last week and the roads have been dug up everywhere and are littered with humps bumps and holes. Donegal roads in comparison are like billiard tables. Small country lanes may not be great but main and regional roads are excellent. The suspension on a Dublin car will have a much harder time than that on a Donegal car. the DL stigma is borne out of ignorant jackeens who haven't left the city in years for fear of having to drive on unlit roads at night.

Your car is still overpriced, buttering up your ad with service history details will not help it sell, putting a realistic price on it, will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I think that the problem is that when people consider a diesel hatchback of that age they rarely consider a Civic. Those diesel Civics were never a big seller so they just aren't on peoples radar. So you might just have to sit it out for a while. I do think the car is worth €4k if it is as described so your asking price is about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'd echo the comments about the plates. It may not seem a biggy but your plates are not legal (font waaay too thick) and non-conformity can be off-putting to some.
    At least you don't have yellow plates on the rear. :D

How about some more images of the interior, what's the boot space like, the rear seats, do they fold, the dashboard, and the dials. You mention white dials but it would be nice to see them.

You've a photo of the NCT but none of the tax disc, why is that?

Clean looking car, good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

See theres a certain type of crowd that would put people off buying a DL car. At least it's a fwd car!

Lose the plates

A few more pics of the interior

Take the pics in a better environment

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

slimjimmc wrote: »

what's the boot space like

Probably best not to take a pic of the boot, its ridiculously tiny.

Id be advertising the 100 odd bhp and 50mpg and honda reliability. Maybe tag it with names of cars that are searched most often to improve visibility. Picture of owners manual/service book/receipts/both keys. If you are very far north maybe say that you are willing to meet further south like sligo/cavan.

They are a nice car with a good engine so it should sell handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

Hi all,

I have my car for sale on Donedeal now for 12 days. Its a nice, genuine car. I haven't had one phone call so far! Any suggestions? Is it too expensive or is the current market for cars under 5k too vast??

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-honda-civic-ctdi-nct-2016/6400048

Thanks in advance. :)

hi change the plates, and change the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Might be?

I's say its about 1.5-2k over priced for a private sale.

Good points:
    Honda
    Diesel
    FSH
    Air-con

Bad points:
    DL reg
    3-door
    Percieved high mileage by average punter (but its actually ok)
    8 years old
    Old Tax system
    Private sale
    Hint of boy racer about it - change the reg plates for a start

Also consider putting in on how long you've owned it and reason for sale.

GLWS!!!

• Advertisement

Actually it may be stupid in your world, but an 08 C-MAX is about 1K more than ur 06 is worth, not KK's. Makes perfect sense, after all road tax is dead money whatever you pay so I'd prefer to pay less.

Advertisement