Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car not selling on Donedeal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's always one of these 3
    Ad is wrong
    Car is wrong
    Price is wrong.

In your case I think its the price. They're a great car but not an obvious choice.
    That said there aren't a lot of them about so someone actually looking for one won't be spoiled for choice.
    Donegal will put a lot of people off too, you're too far away from most of the country.

30,000 posts :D time for an oil change!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's always one of these 3
    Ad is wrong
    Car is wrong
    Price is wrong.
    Doesn't matter if the car is wrong if the price is right. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ Dominique Zealous Freshwater

There's a lot of miles in the car, your also based in donegal, a long drive for most people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Anan1 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if the car is wrong if the price is right. ;)

Those are always the fastest selling cars! It's easier to sell a bad car than a good one. A fool and his money....

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Mex Mick

ferry17 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have my car for sale on Donedeal now for 12 days. Its a nice, genuine car. I haven't had one phone call so far! Any suggestions? Is it too expensive or is the current market for cars under 5k too vast??

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-honda-civic-ctdi-nct-2016/6400048

Thanks in advance. :)

Put it on for €2,999

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

The problem in Ireland is that it hasn't got enough doors. That kind of car would be seen as a family car here.
    Have a look at other models in 3 and 5 door form and you will see a good price difference between them.

I happen to think it's a fair price for a decent car, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Too expensive: high milage, biggish engine, and an 8 yr old car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Just one thing that would put me off your ad.

Email 'Honda' and call 'Seller'.

Think it looks more legit when a seller isn't afraid to put down their name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Rasmus wrote: »
    Too expensive: high milage, biggish engine, and an 8 yr old car.
    Average mileage, not that big an engine for a diesel, and it's a 9 year old car.
    If you don't like the price, start haggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

If I were you I would also change the number plates or least blur them out on the photo. The sporty plates would give the impression to any buyer that your a boy racer pulling handbrake turns in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

donegal plates would put me off every car all day long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Notch000 wrote: »

Is a Dublin reg the most favourable?

djPSB wrote: »

For the masses, yes.

If you actually live in Dublin (as a lot of the country do) its just not on to drive a 'bog' (non Dublin) reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

It's over a grand and a half overpriced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

It is here after TN/TS although driving one through Thurles on a match day Dublin vs (Clare I think it was) your car will be kicked sitting in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Notch000 wrote: »

I think he means donegal reg cars live a must harder life!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Don't call yourself Honda, hate seeing stuff like that!

Nothing about service history and it does seem overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There's a lot of miles in the car, your also based in donegal, a long drive for most people

Unfortunately OP, the above note about mileage is very normal of the car buying public in this country. Even though 112k miles is hardly excessive for a 9 year old diesel car, it is a mental challenge for a lot of Irish buyers. One of the reasons why clocking continues to be big business here.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Nice enough car. Interior a bit dirty looking. I don't think they're original alloys btw, never seen that style on ep shape civic before. I'd advertise at 4.5k and hope to get at least 4k. Mileage ain't too bad at all.

DL = dogs life to people outside donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

Honestly man that's crazy money your looking for, I'd wanna be paying no more than 2500 for that max

I have to be honest and say that DL puts me off cars in general. But it's mostly because of a combination of two things.

Firstly, when I was buying my first car, i was looking at a DL and i was advised (on here) strongly to stay away. So that's my first impression of DL and it just sticks with me for some reason.

Secondly, any DLs I see in real life, 95% of them are cars that have been toyed with excessively. Always look like they've had the bollocks 'boy racered' out of them. There's a DL car around the corner from where I live, and between the excessive lowering, silly stickers and spoiler all coming together to make me almost feel angry looking at it, it just makes me think there's certain 'type' of person or car associated with DL regs.

(that said, your car doesnt seem to have any of that silly nonsense, and actually looks really well, in my opinion).

You're up against this, though, for example:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-sport/6281410

(I don't know the first thing about civics though, so I'm not sure if I'm comparing apples and oranges).

I'm not sure that anyone looking for a Civic would prefer a petrol engine or not, though? (I'd assume most will invariably be the boy racer types and will opt for petrol when given the choice, and lower sized engine for insruance purposes)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Are they the original tail lights?

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Are they the original tail lights?

Yep, they're on all facelift civics.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ferry17 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have my car for sale on Donedeal now for 12 days. Its a nice, genuine car. I haven't had one phone call so far! Any suggestions? Is it too expensive or is the current market for cars under 5k too vast??

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-honda-civic-ctdi-nct-2016/6400048

Thanks in advance. :)

Nice car! Hondas are very popular in this country for some reason. Civics even more so. And then diesels and then in Donegal! Still your asking price needs to be taken down by a few grand ;)

5k for a 9 year old Civic / Golf you might have got in 2006, but not now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

I'm failing to see how 118k miles is high for a 9 y/o diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just so you know OP, according to the stats I have here, your mileage is above the average (About ~112,600 miles is the average) and your price is on the high side of the average (€4750 is the average private price while if you factor dealers, that drops to €4698) Note, they are asking, not actual sale prices.

My dataset for this specific car is quite small though, so take that with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

- You're in Donegal which as noted is too far away for most people + there's the "DL image" of it being raced/skangered to an inch of its life

- Unusual to get a 3-door Civic like that in diesel = limited market?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Chris___ wrote: »
    If I were you I would also change the number plates or least blur them out on the photo. The sporty plates would give the impression to any buyer that your a boy racer pulling handbrake turns in it.

As the ad is, there's nothing wrong with it.
    However there are a few things that will cause me to automatically ignore and an ad and click next and blurred number plates is one of them. Others would be txt speak, excessive bad grammar (i.e. deliberately so, Ghettospeak), abuse and bad attitude and not enough details.
    It reeks of seller hiding something that might come up on a reg check, so I don't want to have to phone the seller and go through a lot of hassle till I get the plates and THEN find a problem with it.

TL;DR
    Blurred plates, NEXT!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Groundsource

Road tax would put anyone off a 1.7L. may be better to trade if changing.

Advertisement