Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game of Thrones [HBO & Sky Atlantic] **Spoilers** (Read Warning Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    ...She's 6'3"? :eek: That I did not know.

In that case then I agree. Sure Brienne was rarely seen out of her boiled leather and armour anyway. No doubt they'll make her look beefy enough. And it's a much, much better alternative than finding someone who perfectly fits the description, but can't act.

Aye she's tall alright but hard fugly
    article-1244342-07EAAEC1000005DC-8_468x799.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Des wrote: »
    Otherwise known as "Americans"

Yes, that's what I was heavily implying, just trying to be nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,279 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

so how many tv shows do you know that completely change the show name season to season?

Not sure if I've mentioned this already, but the series 'Threshold', which was cancelled, was supposed to be a three series deal with the following two series being called 'Foothold' and the final series 'Stranglehold'. Always liked the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Interview with George RR Martin and some of the cast at Comic-Con.

http://kotaku.com/5823994/game-of-thrones-cast-talks-dragons-puppet-wolves-and-the-khal-drogo-dance-plus-the-scene-george-rr-martin-doesnt-want-to-watch

Spoiler free, unless your really really REALLY sensitive.
    Game of Thrones cast talks dragons, puppet wolves, and the Khal Drogo dance. Plus, the scene George R.R. Martin doesn’t want to watch.
    Lauren Davis — George R.R. Martin teased and quizzed the Game of Thrones cast in a panel at Comic-Con yesterday. The cast shared their greatest GoT challenges and favorite scenes, the creators hinted at what's ahead, and Martin revealed the moment he won't watch on television.

Martin sported a spiffy pair of flame-covered suspenders as he moderated a playful and relatively spoiler-free panel with cast members Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Jason Momoa (Khal Drogo), and Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), as well as show creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

Martin kicked off the panel by asking Benioff and Weiss how they got involved with the project. Benioff admitted that when their agent sent them the books, he had never heard of A Song of Fire and Ice, but he was hooked from the moment Jaime pushed Bran out the window. "It's like crack on paper," he said. As they worked on adapting the series for screen, they were approached by several people convinced they had found a way to make a two-and-a-half-hour Game of Thrones feature film (a revelation that earned audible scoffs from panelists and the audience alike), but he and Weiss always envisioned it as an HBO series, and consider themselves lucky that Martin agreed.

Among the panelists, Momoa stole the show, walking on stage in sunglasses and quickly pulling them down to reveal his Khal Drogo eye makeup. When Martin asked Momoa, who stars in the latest Conan film, who would win in a fight between Drogo and Conan, Momoa didn't hesitate: "Between you and me, Drogo would kick Conan's ass" and proceeded to yell a Dothraki war cry into the microphone.

Drogo fans will also be in for a treat when the first season comes out on DVD. Benioff and Weiss explained that deleted scenes are unlikely since very little ended up on the cutting room floor. But in addition to extras created by the production team (and artwork from storyboard artist Will Simpson), the DVD set will include the cast members' first auditions, so we can see their first interpretations of the characters. Benioff singled out Momoa's audition, which includes a special dance Momoa decided to perform for the casting directors to prove his worth as Khal Drogo.

Martin asked Headey if it was difficult going from playing a heroic character on Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles to the villainous Queen Cersei. Headey repeatedly expressed great affection for Cersei (and says she's gotten flack from fans for humanizing the character), but said it's fun to play a character who isn't trying to be morally good. "I'm not looking to please people. But then people come up and say, ‘Oh I hate you.' It's shocking." When Martin asked Dinklage if playing such a beloved character affected his acting approach, Dinklage noted that everyone on the panel had "big shoes to fill." He paused. "Yeah, it was terrifying."

Martin teased Harington about the Jon Snow posters sure to be hanging on girls' walls – and joked that he always hoped that a Twilight-style "Team Jon" and "Team Robb" would emerge from the show. He then asked how Harington would feel about replacing his canine co-stars with puppet wolves. "The thing about puppet wolves," Harington said, "is they do what they're told. I love Cooper – [the dog who plays] Ghost – but he doesn't do what he's told. He just wanted the meat from my hand."

For Momoa, the prospect of acting in the made-up Dothraki language was daunting, especially one that, in his words, sounds like a cross between "Jabba the Hutt and Fozzie Bear." But after a lot of pizza and a lot of Guinness, he was game.

One fan asked the actors to name which scene was their favorite to film. Coster-Waldau was quick to joke, "Isaac was really annoying, so pushing him. No! No! That's a joke. I really liked my last scene with Catelyn." Headey chose a scene not from the book, the first scene between Cersei and Robert, which she felt revealed a lot about their relationship. Momoa had earlier expounded at length on Drogo's tongue-extricating fight scene, which he helped craft (apparently, he dreamed about ripping someone's throat out), and Martin said he quite enjoyed. Dinklage cited his trial as a personal favorite, "because it was a long day and there were a lot of extras. So I felt like a master of ceremonies for a lot of bored extras." For Clarke, the choice was easy: the final scene of the season. "Then getting to see it properly on screen was amazing," she said. "When I saw those dragons – I got shivers."

Coster-Waldau had the most amusing answer for a fan who wanted to know how the actors would end the series: "There's a big battle and it fades to black. It comes up with a sign that says, "Twenty years later." There's a cottage. Jaime and Cersei come out, and he says, "Finally, my love. Finally."

So what can fans expect for the coming seasons? "It's time to meet the red priestess," Benioff said. "And it's time to see those wolves and dragons grow up."

Weiss added, "It's a season of exploration."

The challenge, the creators said, is if and when they get to Season Three, since A Storm of Swords won't fit neatly into a single season. Benioff is especially concerned with reaching an event in A Storm of Swords that he would refer to only by the initials "R.W." "If we get to R.W.," he said, "we'll know we've done something. If we can get to R.W., then I can retire."

As for the future of the book series, one fan asked Martin if he was afraid of pulling a Lost. "I am concerned about the ending," he admitted. "I still have two books to go and I'm juggling a lot of balls, and there is that fear that some of those balls will land on my head. But I'm just going to keep juggling as fast as I can." He reiterated what he's told fans before: expect a bittersweet ending.

And does he ever mourn those characters he's killed? Martin firmly believes that the knowledge that a character could die at any moment is important to a reader's emotional investment in the characters, but that hasn't made those deaths any easier. "Actually," he said, "I mourn all the characters as I kill them." He reminded the audience that he spends a lot of time crawling around inside his point-of-view characters' heads. "I've lived with some of these characters for 20 years, and it's hard when I have to kill them, and I tell myself it's not me killing the characters; it's the other characters."

He describes a certain death that occurs two thirds of the way through A Storm of Swords as "the hardest thing I've ever written." In fact, he put off writing that particular scene until after he had written the rest of the book. "It was as wrenching to write as I'm sure it was for many of you to read."

In fact, it's the one thing he's not looking forward to seeing on the show. "I think when they show it, I'm going to arrange to be out of the country to some place that doesn't have television yet."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

ive seen the first two episodes and think its great, is there a site where i can stream it online. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Streaming is against the charter. Please don't ask here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

100,000 VIEWS!!!!!!!...wow!, that's amazing lads, well done to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭fizzlepurplefuz

They're calling it 'Game of Thrones: A Clash of Kings', presumably because they don't want to confuse certain sections of their audience.

......and have you seen what it abbreviates to.....
    GoT A CoK :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,279 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

......and have you seen what it abbreviates to.....
    GoT A CoK :D:D:D

Game of cocks would have been a suitable name given the content. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

100,000 VIEWS!!!!!!!...wow!, that's amazing lads, well done to everyone!

Time for a GOT forum maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Had been holding off on watching Game of Thrones until I could get a week where I'd be able to watch the whole series over the course of 4-5 days and that week came last week - f**king epic is all I can say...
    Off to read the books now...
    +1 on a GOT forum... Will be nice for season 2 to discuss each episode in detail...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

Rewatching season 1 with the benefit of having read the book. A sublime pleasure second time around and wow, but they have really nailed the characters and locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Sonovagun wrote: »

Definately with threads for individual episodes as well as a more general one we could finally put all this spoiling drama to bed as if you wander into the ep thread of an ep you havent seen you have no one to blame but yourself . As things stand now in the main thread there is no delineation between when one ep is being discussed and another leading to people who are a few eps behind stumbling over spoilers for eps they havent seen .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Have to say the actor hired for the Stannis role looks nothing like I imagined him, the beauty of imagination I guess.

Was thinking about who should play Melisandre and for some reason another Sean Bean film, Black Death popped into my head and the character who plays the Witch in it.

As for Brianne - they only person i thought could do it was yer one Battleaxe from Sky's Gladiators!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Sonovagun wrote: »
    Well add your vote here. Not sure why it hasn't been greenlit to be honest - many other forums got approved with a lot less votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

ixoy wrote: »
    Well add your vote here. Not sure why it hasn't been greenlit to be honest - many other forums got approved with a lot less votes.
    Check out post #145 in that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Rovi wrote: »
    Check out post #145 in that thread.

Surely we could argue for it to go in sci-fi seeing as it will be for the books as well. There could be a link to it from the tv section to catch the tv folk.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Surely we could argue for it to go in sci-fi seeing as it will be for the books as well. There could be a link to it from the tv section to catch the tv folk.

One major problem there is that Game of Thrones is in no way Sci-Fi... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Reading through the book at the moment, it's taking a while! Pretty impressed so far with regards to how it pairs up to the tv series. The dialogue is almost word-for-word a lot of the time, and it really helps to be able to picture the faces and locations while I'm reading. Another thing is the ages of the characters. Upping the ages for the series is probably one of the smartest things they did. If they didn't, this show never would have aired tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

One major problem there is that Game of Thrones is in no way Sci-Fi... :confused:

its called 'sci-fi and fantasy'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Exactly. It'd fit in fine in the "Sci-Fi & Fantasy" forum with a re-direct. In fact it's a more suitable place for it as it's not just a TV show. Yes, the same argument could be made for "Dexter" or "True Blood" but this series ties in far more closely with the books than either of those two. There's also potentially more to discuss about these books.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

ixoy wrote: »
    Exactly. It'd fit in fine in the "Sci-Fi & Fantasy" forum with a re-direct. In fact it's a more suitable place for it as it's not just a TV show.

there are already two further large threads in that forum on GOT and the latest book

taken together I think a forum of its own is inevitable

Riskymove wrote: »
    its called 'sci-fi and fantasy'

Fair enough. Didn't realise it was Sci-Fi and Fantasy - my bad...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

One thing I have been meaning to ask the guy who was the "dancing" teacher who gave the sword lessons was a great character in the TV show and it kinda annoyed me how he had an off screen (of sorts) death. Did that happen any differently in the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

ziedth wrote: »
    One thing I have been meaning to ask the guy who was the "dancing" teacher who gave the sword lessons was a great character in the TV show and it kinda annoyed me how he had an off screen (of sorts) death. Did that happen any differently in the book?

Nope, the very same in the book.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

s.welstead wrote: »
    Nope, the very same in the book.

It was a good scene in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I think everyone is secretly hoping for some Deus Ex Machina comeback :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I adore Syrio Fogel, and I hope he survives. I'm nearly finished the first book.

• Advertisement

The HBO folks won't commit to multiple seasons:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/HBO-Loves-Game-Thrones-1035810.aspx

Advertisement