Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A "Lock" of cars / local vernacular

• 03-09-2007 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

anyone ever hear this one? I heard it up in Donegal on a couple of occasions - "a lock of pints" "a lock of cars" - it means "a lot" (and no, I made sure that's not what they were saying!). I was just wondering how widespread it is. Another one I've only heard in Donegal is the use of the word "mind" for "remember": "I mind that time when you got that new car..."

Comments

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

tbh wrote:
    anyone ever hear this one? I heard it up in Donegal on a couple of occasions - "a lock of pints" "a lock of cars" - it means "a lot" (and no, I made sure that's not what they were saying!). I was just wondering how widespread it is. Another one I've only heard in Donegal is the use of the word "mind" for "remember": "I mind that time when you got that new car..."
    To me, a lock of points would mean a few.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've never heard that used!

A localism I've heard recently is Scottish people saying someone's "coming through" instead of visiting or "coming to".

IE. "My mum's coming through this weekend."

Faith wrote:
    I've never heard that used!
    Come to Donegal Faith. ;)

I mind having a lock of pints last Friday. :D Also, the local vernacular here can be quite similar to Ulster Scots. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

We'd say it in Leitrim as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A "loch" of pints or whatever, indicating a large quantity, lakes full, fairly common throughout Ulster.

Does anyone else use "rake" in a similar fashion or is that just a Carlow-Kilkenny thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

tbh wrote: »
    Another one I've only heard in Donegal is the use of the word "mind" for "remember": "I mind that time when you got that new car..."
    This would be fairly common in South West Scotland too.

A "loch" of pints or whatever, indicating a large quantity, lakes full, fairly common throughout Ulster.

Does anyone else use "rake" in a similar fashion or is that just a Carlow-Kilkenny thing?

"Rake" is commonly used in Donegal as well. In context it would be "there was a whole rake of them".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yup, I'd use rake too.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Another one up here is "lost", where the rest of the country would say "lose" - "Don't you lost that now!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

there was a fella on the radio this morning from Donegal, saying he was delivering sandwiches to a loch of shops around Sligo. It's bad that the first thing I thought of was this thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

"Lock" (or loch) and "rake" are also commonly used in Mayo to mean a good quantity of anything.

Also in Mayo there is the term "lockspit"

When the Land Commission were dividing land into stripes for allotment they marked the divisions by digging up a sod with a spade and leaving the sod so dug out as a marker. That sod was called a "lock-spit"

Never found out why they did not use solid stakes,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It was common in country parts of Northern Ireland when I was growing up, not so much in Derry or Belfast, afaicr. It means "quite a lot".

"Lock" would be more common in the North than in Louth, "rake" is very common in Louth though.

Advertisement