Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Casuals Ranbats Thread

Options
  • 16-10-2014 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

I've an idea in mind, after talking with Tom for a bit.

How about we do a bi-weekly ranbats session (but I know not everyone can make it to all ranbats session for it to be long term, so I was just thinking we can just payout to the winner on that day and then start anew for the next one)

1) Everyone plays each other in a 2/3

2) 2 wins = 2 points, 1 win = 1 point (scoring system is up for discussion), in the case of 2 or more people tied at the top, they can just play each other again. So P1 wins 2-1 vs P2, P1 gets 2 points and P2 gets 1 point.

3) I'll take note of all the results in excel, and we'll have a separate thread for all this and I can gyazo my excel sheet to post up the results in the 1st post of the thread.

It might be a bit awkward since people come in at different times, but I think it can work out if people will co-operate and play their games efficiently.

5 euros entry (or 2/3 euros, w/e people want), payout can be 60/30/10 for top 3 (again, up for discussion), ofc you can just still come for casuals as usual, from the looks of it (via the past few weeks) we usually have 3 setups, so we could have 2 setups for ranbats and 1 for normal casuals.

Also, I usually have to leave at 8 on most Weds and if the ranbats isn't finished by then, in that case, I can just write down the remaining people that has to play each other and I'll trust you guys to jot down the results and send them to me and I'll update the excel, declare the results on the thread then give the top 3 their money next time.

This way, everyone will play everyone (one of the issues that I've noticed) and it will introduce some competitiveness into the scene (another issue) as I feel some people aren't actively seeking to improve, especially when we have international people coming here in a few weeks, we need to be tip-top shape.

I'm willing to run all this, so what do you guys think?

Pasted over from Wed Casuals thread, I'll use this post for results if people want this to go ahead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

I don't think we should dictate how people play at casuals. Some people go to hang out and have a few fun games and that's fine. Some people go to practice and want to improve that's fine as well, you could just let the person you're about to play know if you want to practice a certain mu or that u want some serious games. Doesn't have to be all official with points and stuff imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Simon_K

Interesting, although I have no interest in paying to get rekt :P

@Jun - There could be 2 setups though , for casuals and and ranbats.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd pay an extra €2 for intense MMs/round-robin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

@ Jun, it won't be every casual session, it'd be every 2 weeks (or even 3/4 weeks)

And you don't have to take part, there'll be setups reserved for normal casuals as usual if you want to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Great idea, imo.

Casuals will still be casual just adds in a competitive element for a bit for those who want it.

Keep the money low, it should just be for a little focus.

• Advertisement

Ye would be 2/3 euros on top of the usual 5 euro fee for casuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Constant Markievicz

I'd love to get the opportunity to get to play against a wide variety of people at casuals, and having everyone play everyone is a great way to do that. But I can see how some people would be turned off by having a rigid structure- people are coming for casual matches, after all.

One thing that might be difficult- if you want to organise a round robin, that means a lot of matches. Say if 10 people want to take part, you're talking about coordinating 45 sets of 3 matches. To me, that seems like it might be a lot of work, so that's something to think about.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

One word. GARP!

I'd love to get the opportunity to get to play against a wide variety of people at casuals, and having everyone play everyone is a great way to do that. But I can see how some people would be turned off by having a rigid structure- people are coming for casual matches, after all.

One thing that might be difficult- if you want to organise a round robin, that means a lot of matches. Say if 10 people want to take part, you're talking about coordinating 45 sets of 3 matches. To me, that seems like it might be a lot of work, so that's something to think about.

I've ran tekken ranbats in the past with the same amount of people way back, all FT3s and tekken is a pretty long-ass game :pac:

I think we'll be fine for time. And if I can't watch every set, I can trust everyone to give me accurate results anyway.

And at those who seems a bit iffy about it, there's always other stations to play the usual casuals on and this is only gonna occur like once or twice a month (probably)

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I've ran tekken ranbats in the past with the same amount of people way back, all FT3s and tekken is a pretty long-ass game :pac:

I think we'll be fine for time. And if I can't watch every set, I can trust everyone to give me accurate results anyway.

And at those who seems a bit iffy about it, there's always other stations to play the usual casuals on and this is only gonna occur like once or twice a month (probably)

Sounds brilliant, I'm definitely in, so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

It might be a good idea for the sake of organisation to have at least one console designated to ranbats and one designated for those who just want the standard casuals for each game. (eg. for TTT2 console 40 for ranbats and console 41 for causals)

I'm not sure why I'm even contributing since TTT2 casuals are dead.

So is anyone up for doing this on Wed then or leave it til later?

Can't make it on Wednesday, sorry, but I'll do it if it's on on Saturday

I'm not around on Saturdays unfortunately :(

That's grand, I'm usually around on Wednesdays, I'll just be in Waterford this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

If your up for organising this then fair play to you Gussy.
    I'll try my best to get in as often as I can but I can tell you now that it won't happen very regularly.
    I'll do my utmost to get in for this coming Wednesday tho :)

Ah I was planning it with SF in mind sry :(

It's not gonna go ahead so doesn't matter anyway.

Advertisement