Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Role of Irish Language in Dublin

Options
  • 03-10-2014 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I am currently beginning a project on the role of the Irish language in Dublin. I'm looking at it from an Anthropological point of view and plan to study the relevance of the language in a historically non-Irish speaking area and why it survives . Does anyone know of any Irish language groups in the city?
    (Mods hope its okay to post this here if not please delete!)

Go Raibh Mile!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Toshi101 wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I am currently beginning a project on the role of the Irish language in Dublin. I'm looking at it from an Anthropological point of view and plan to study the relevance of the language in a historically non-Irish speaking area and why it survives . Does anyone know of any Irish language groups in the city?
    (Mods hope its okay to post this here if not please delete!)

Go Raibh Mile!

Regarding the history, you'd be surprised at how recently Irish was the native language of very many Dubliners. There's a fascinating blog entitled Dublin Irish which is an excellent introduction to the Irish dialect in Dublin, as traditionally spoken. The last native speakers lived well into the 19th century in Glenasmole (of Oisín and Fianna fame) in south County Dublin. There are several articles about the language all across Dublin on that website. I'm currently ordering some of the academic articles which the blogger is using for his articles.

Dublin Gaelic

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

Toshi101 wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I am currently beginning a project on the role of the Irish language in Dublin. I'm looking at it from an Anthropological point of view and plan to study the relevance of the language in a historically non-Irish speaking area and why it survives
    Remember that the vast majority of what we now call Dublin was historically Irish speaking. The historically non-Irish speaking area is quite a small section of land near the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

AnLonDubh wrote: »
    Remember that the vast majority of what we now call Dublin was historically Irish speaking. The historically non-Irish speaking area is quite a small section of land near the quays.

Even then it would be surprising if you didn't find Irish been spoken in those areas throughout the middle ages. The Dublin norse were thoroughly gaelicised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Regarding the history, you'd be surprised at how recently Irish was the native language of very many Dubliners. There's a fascinating blog entitled Dublin Irish which is an excellent introduction to the Irish dialect in Dublin, as traditionally spoken. The last native speakers lived well into the 19th century in Glenasmole (of Oisín and Fianna fame) in south County Dublin. There are several articles about the language all across Dublin on that website. I'm currently ordering some of the academic articles which the blogger is using for his articles.

Dublin Gaelic

Thanks for sharing that super blog!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

It's probably also worth noting that many people have migrated from outside Dublin into Dublin. For example my grandparents would have come from the Kerry Gaeltacht region, but I am a second generation Dubliner.

Go néirí an táth leat Toshi! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Thanks for that Blog, it's a great read

Dublin Gaelic

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

Dublin Gaelic

As it happens, I know a few people who were raised through Irish in Dublin so I think currently would be a better word than recently.

GaelMise wrote: »
    As it happens, I know a few people who were raised through Irish in Dublin so I think currently would be a better word than recently.

Of course. But I don't think they were learning native Dublin dialect. Which is the real point.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The book Labhrann Laighnigh by Daithí Ó hÓgáin (Coiscéim, 2011) could be very useful for you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Conradh na Gaeilge would be a good place to start. www.cnag.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

An File wrote: »
    The book Labhrann Laighnigh by Daithí Ó hÓgáin (Coiscéim, 2011) could be very useful for you.
    I agree with this. The book gives genuine examples of Dublin Irish and comments on its usage. The native dialect of Dublin would have been similar to Connacht Irish, like what is to be heard on the Doegen tapes from the Roscommon and East Galway speakers.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Of course. But I don't think they were learning native Dublin dialect. Which is the real point.

I dont see why, is a native speaker not a native speaker depending on the dialect they speak and where they speak it?

The Dublin dialect may have died out, but that does not mean that there are no Dublin born and raised native speakers of Irish.

GaelMise wrote: »
    I dont see why, is a native speaker not a native speaker depending on the dialect they speak and where they speak it?

The Dublin dialect may have died out, but that does not mean that there are no Dublin born and raised native speakers of Irish.

For the second time.

Of course there are native speakers in Dublin. I was brought up bilingually from birth. But I wasn't brought up in Dublin Irish which is now extinct. That is what this is about. We're discussing how recently and widespread Dublin Irish was.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    For the second time.

Of course there are native speakers in Dublin. I was brought up bilingually from birth. But I wasn't brought up in Dublin Irish which is now extinct. That is what this is about. We're discussing how recently and widespread Dublin Irish was.

Are we? Sorry I was under the impression that we were discussing the thread topic, ie the role of the Irish language in Dublin. If that is what we are discussing then current Dublin native speakers of Irish ar at least as important as former native speakers of Irish in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

Grudaire wrote: »
    It's probably also worth noting that many people have migrated from outside Dublin into Dublin. For example my grandparents would have come from the Kerry Gaeltacht region, but I am a second generation Dubliner.

Go néirí an táth leat Toshi! :)

The 2001 Ukrainian census showed well over 1/2 of residents of Kiev spoke Ukrainian, as their 1st language, vs under 30% of respondents who responded to speaking Russian as their 1st language. I don't know, by comparison, how widespread Irish is spoken in Dublin, although I had no problem using English whilst I was there last year.

Advertisement