Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Late Night Luas & Tickets

• 27-11-2007 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

It would appear Annual Luas tickets are no longer accepted on late night trams. Does anybody know the reason for this? It was always allowed in recent years, and access to Nitelink & Luas was one of the benefits of having an annual ticket.

http://www.luas.ie/ul/177.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I'm only making a stab in the dark here but it does mention on that announcment poster that there are security personell going to be present on every tram.
    Quite possibly they are looking to recoup their extra costs on the anti scumbag measures by wanting a cash fare on the day for the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Quite possibly they are looking to recoup their extra costs on the anti scumbag measures by wanting a cash fare on the day for the journey.

If this was the case and they are charging a premium fare than they should only require a supplement from season ticket holders, rather than the full night fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

ardmacha wrote: »
    If this was the case and they are charging a premium fare than they should only require a supplement from season ticket holders, rather than the full night fare.

Late night LUAS services would be outside of their Public Service Obligation contract and as such they are private services ran by LUAS. They would not be tied down to the agreed fare structure on these runs as they are not part of their scheduled services so they are within their rights to not cover season tickets on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ad hoc

Ignore the poster. If you have a monthly or annual ticket - it's valid. They are sold for unlimited travel - with NO stated exceptions. They have not listed any exceptions at the time of sale for 'special services'.

Dublin Bus exclude the Ferry and Sightseeing bus services. So, whether you buy a Luas only or Luas + DB/IE ticket, the only limits are the ones placed at time of sale.

They don't have a leg to stand on. They haven't even put a 'RPA reserve the right to amend the terms and conditions' paragraph on their forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

I rang the number on the poster and was told Annual tickets ARE valid on the late night service. It's a pity the poster doesn't state this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

MiniD wrote: »
    I rang the number on the poster and was told Annual tickets ARE valid on the late night service. It's a pity the poster doesn't state this.

I also contacted them and got this....

Hi Duncan,

Thank you for your email.Annual tickets only are valid on nitelink
    services.

Kind Regards,

Jacqueline Brennan

Customer Care officer

Tel:1800 300 604

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

I love the last line - "Busy stop? Try Stephen's Green or Connolly." They should put signs up at Cowper/Beechwood for the weekday mornings - "Can't fit on the tram? Go to Sandyford, plenty of room there."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭patrickc

I remeber talking to a Luas driver last year when they were doing the late night trams and he said they were on 60 euro per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

MiniD wrote: »
    It would appear Annual Luas tickets are no longer accepted on late night trams. Does anybody know the reason for this? It was always allowed in recent years, and access to Nitelink & Luas was one of the benefits of having an annual ticket.

http://www.luas.ie/ul/177.pdf

I tried my annual bus/luas ticket on a nitelink bus for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I was sure I'd read that they were allowed to be used but the driver refused to accept it. I got off the bus and it pulled off, an inspector came along 5 minutes later and he said that they do accept them!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

E-mail sent to RPA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

SteM wrote: »
    I tried my annual bus/luas ticket on a nitelink bus for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I was sure I'd read that they were allowed to be used but the driver refused to accept it. I got off the bus and it pulled off, an inspector came along 5 minutes later and he said that they do accept them!

Did it not work in the validator?

The Dublin Bus issued annual tickets have it written on the back that they are valid on nitelink, not sure about Luas issued tickets.

John R wrote: »
    Did it not work in the validator?

The Dublin Bus issued annual tickets have it written on the back that they are valid on nitelink, not sure about Luas issued tickets.

Nope, it's the first and only time the ticket made a high pitched beep in validator so that's what made me think the bus driver might have been right. It's a DB issued ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I got this today.
    Hi Victor,

Thank you for your email.You will find comprehensive information on our Christmas/New Year service schedule by clicking onto the ‘News’ link on our website’s home page. Our last scheduled tram from the city centre is at 0300 with two extra trams on the Green Line running at 0340 and 0350 from St Stephens Green on the 14th/15th/19th/20th/21st/22nd and 31st December.

Other than the 25th December,when we are closed we will run a daily service with some restrictions on the 24th and 26th December. Again please refer to the above link for further details.As I cannot access the bulletin board link I am hazarding a guess that your question refers to whether or not annual tickets are valid on our Night Luas to which Yes is the answer.

If there is anything else I can help you with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Customer Care officer

Tel:1800 300 604

luascustomercare@veolia-transport.ie

www.luas.ie

Hi,

I moderate the Commuting & Transport discussion board on boards.ie under the nom de plume 'Victor'. There is a thread discussing these services here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055190906

There is some confustion about using annual tickets on these services. I wonder if you could check with a supervisor or some such to check the correct position.

Could you also advise the time of the last city-bound trams - the poster merely says "Last Luas from City Centre only". http://www.luas.ie/ul/177.pdf

What is the closure period over Christmas? What other service alterations are there?

Reply on thread or by e-mail.

Victor

I see that the signs posted on the Luas shelters say specifically that only Smart Card and Late Night Ticket are only being accepted. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TommyShannon

Used to happen me the whole time, I'd stand on the bus blocking the doors until an inspector came along who always told the bus drivers to accept my ticket. It's very hard to keep an annual ticket in good condition for 12 months when it's going in and out of machines, usually a flash at the driver suffices and this keeps the ticket from wear and tear. I only insert it into the validator if the driver requests me to.

This late night luas fare seems to be a farce, I'd get on it with an annual ticket alright, I think yous are right saying they don't have a leg to stand on. The annual luas ticket states it's valid on ALL Luas services, a fine would not stand up in court.

Advertisement