Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VHF DSC Radio

Options
  • 11-10-2014 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I would appreciate any advice before I purchase a VHF Radio. Its a hand held one I am looking for. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Here is a little post on them http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76949666 it might depend on where you are going to be using it I know in Skerries you can not get a signal behind some of the islands also a lot of them only have a 5 mile range, I guess the more you spend the more you get :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Make sure it floats :(

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Patrick L wrote: »
    I would appreciate any advice before I purchase a VHF Radio. Its a hand held one I am looking for. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

A mate of mine recently bought the ICOM M92 and I have to says its a very impressive bit of kit, little bit bulkier than some handhelds but very light, floats, has Build In GPS and DSC. Worth a look at if your thinking of a new handheld.

http://www.marine-electronics-reviews.com/icom-m92.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Patrick L

Thanks very much for your response, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This might be stating the obvious (despite having done the course and obtained a radio licence, and using radios daily in my working and sailing lives, I still have only the haziest grasp of how they actually work!) - but be very careful if you decide to buy online.

A pal of mine (who is equally hazy about them) bought an ICOM radio online for a very reasonable price. But despite having US and International (I think) settings, it doesn't have channel 37/M1/2 which are the usual channels here for marinas/clubhouses. It does have Channel 16 which will hopefully get him out of a pickle if he gets into one, but I'm not sure what else it doesn't have.

He's only using it for kayaking, but I've told him to go and do the course!

Basically, be very sure that the actual handset you buy has the channels on it you need for wherever you'll be using it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    This might be stating the obvious (despite having done the course and obtained a radio licence, and using radios daily in my working and sailing lives, I still have only the haziest grasp of how they actually work!) - but be very careful if you decide to buy online.

A pal of mine (who is equally hazy about them) bought an ICOM radio online for a very reasonable price. But despite having US and International (I think) settings, it doesn't have channel 37/M1/2 which are the usual channels here for marinas/clubhouses. It does have Channel 16 which will hopefully get him out of a pickle if he gets into one, but I'm not sure what else it doesn't have.

He's only using it for kayaking, but I've told him to go and do the course!

Basically, be very sure that the actual handset you buy has the channels on it you need for wherever you'll be using it.

Anyone who sails with me may have noticed that I take 2 radios out. One is American and floats. This one is kept at arms reach for use in an emergency. The other is European and had channel M but does not float and is kept safely stowed and only used in a way where it cannot be accidentally dropped into the harbour. Most marinas also use other channels, so it's not the worlds biggest nuisance. With my accident prone ways, I'll take the nuisance any day ahead of losing (another) radio. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Patrick L wrote: »

If you can try before you buy do so - maybe borrow from a friend or see if the shop can line you up with one to try. I've a couple of handhelds and the expensive waterproof one is great but not so easy for the receiving party to hear if I'm transmitting in a big wind. The cheapo is in a waterproof bag and works so well in a wind that I may get a waterproof bag for the waterproof one. It stops the wind whistles over the grille!

Consider if you'll be using it with gloves or wet/cold hands how easy it is to operate. Some rotary dials are a pain and not all rocker buttons are easy to get at.

Some aerials look like rubber ducks but are not at all as flexible.

Look for the lanyard attachment and make sure it's robust - there are some really flimsy options - often on to belt clips that are very weakly secured.

Make sure it's waterproof and read up on JIS standards to understand exactly what waterproof means. Some manufacturers produce radios that are really only splashproof.

If you're using it on a boat that doesn't have 12V charging look for interchangeable battery packs and/or the option to fit AAs or AAAs.

Check you buy at least 5w. Lots of cheapos with 2-3 watts but a little height and clear view gains more distance IMHO than power.

Check the warranty too - flat rate reapir prices and extended warranty are worth considering given the use these things are subjected to.

Advertisement