Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here if you need assistance filling out the grant form!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Thanks for reply perplexed, does she not have to send in bank statement alog with her p60 and p21 to prove no savings or something from bank to show this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Perplexed22

noah45 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply perplexed, does she not have to send in bank statement alog with her p60 and p21 to prove no savings or something from bank to show this?

If your mum doesn't have interest from savings she should tick No to the question about it in Section F of the form (I can't remember the exact question no.) and that's enough. If she did (for argument's sake) have savings then she should ask her bank or building society for a certificate of interest for 2010 and send that in instead of her statement. If she earned interest on a joint account with her partner only 50% of the interest should be assessable for your grant if her partner isn't your legal guardian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Hi,
    I'm applying for a grant this year - it is the second year of my current course but my first time getting a grant for this course. I already received a grant for the first year of a different course. I e-mailed the grants section of my county council and they sent me out a reassessment form.

I'm looking at it now and I see they ask for my student number, and it's like it's a way to identify me from their records, but my student number is different now to when I received a grant before.
    Do I need to fill out the original form again? Or will this one do?
    I just don't want to send it out only to have it sent back to me and have to do everything again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Hi, I live in Clonee, Dublin 15. Does anyone know should I apply to City of Dublin VEC in Ballsbridge or County of Dublin VEC in Tallaght?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

katiemaloe wrote: »
    Hi, I live in Clonee, Dublin 15. Does anyone know should I apply to City of Dublin VEC in Ballsbridge or County of Dublin VEC in Tallaght?
    County Dublin VEC I think
    The administrative area covered by the VEC reaches from Balbriggan in North County Dublin, to Dundrum in South County Dublin and Lucan in West County Dublin , it is unique in that it covers three Local Authority areas, Fingal, South Dublin and Dun Loaghaire / Rathdown County with the exception of the old borough of Dun Laoghaire.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

I live in Clare but we don't have a committee, do I apply to Limerick county? But I went to secondary school in Limerick City so should I apply there?

Kelix wrote: »
    I live in Clare but we don't have a committee, do I apply to Limerick county? But I went to secondary school in Limerick City so should I apply there?

Apply to Clare county council or Clare VEC

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

theres no option for either of them in the drop down box :/

Kelix wrote: »
    theres no option for either of them in the drop down box :/

only some county councils/VECs accept online applications. You will have to download the form, print it out and post it to either the VEC or county council

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Blue Smarties

Hi All ,
    I'm going into my 2nd year in UCC , do i need to send a course acceptance form ?? and what about the CAO number ?? And in section 2 , I have not recieved a qualification yet , the form assumes I have either droped out or have yet to enter the course ??
    Any help would be greatly appreciated ??
    Thanks in adavnce :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 kathola

Section F, Part 5 ... what exactly does this mean?

Like.. I've started college now so obviously my income has changed...? My dad has also had pay cuts.. is that what it wants to know?

Did you have a permanent change in circumstances in relation to reckonable income since 2010?

kathola wrote: »
    Section F, Part 5 ... what exactly does this mean?

Like.. I've started college now so obviously my income has changed...? My dad has also had pay cuts.. is that what it wants to know?

Did you have a permanent change in circumstances in relation to reckonable income since 2010?

The guidance notes might help

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Guidance%20Notes.pdf

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Hey I'we got some problems finding my mom's P60 form...She's working seasonal job(not working during winter time) so she never got P60, would submiting P45 and P21 be enough ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Perplexed22

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    Hey I'we got some problems finding my mom's P60 form...She's working seasonal job(not working during winter time) so she never got P60, would submiting P45 and P21 be enough ?

It would be better to get a letter from her employer explaining the seasonal natire of her work and submit her last few pay slips with the 2010 P21(assuming she's working there again now that it's summertime). If she isn't then send the P45.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 atom2

Hi All ,
    I'm going into my 2nd year in UCC , do i need to send a course acceptance form ?? and what about the CAO number ?? And in section 2 , I have not recieved a qualification yet , the form assumes I have either droped out or have yet to enter the course ??
    Any help would be greatly appreciated ??
    Thanks in adavnce :)

Hi, if your a review applicant you dont need to fill in your CAO number.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MessiahMan

Excuse me if this has been asked before but I'm finished my degree going on to do a masters. In the "Course Acceptance" form they ask for the "CAO Course Code", will I give the PAC number (since it is a postgrad) or just leave it?
    P.S I think this is a brilliant service as filling out the forms without any help can be very stressful! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

iam just waiting for my p21 now. i went online last week and requested it on the paye website. how long does it take iam waiting a week now. i also got my mother to get one aswell and am waiting on that

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

Hey.. I posted off my application last week and today I received all my documents back but I wasn't told whether or not I was accepted.. does this mean I've been accepted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Cardor wrote: »
    Hey.. I posted off my application last week and today I received all my documents back but I wasn't told whether or not I was accepted.. does this mean I've been accepted?

no, that means they have processed your application and have sent your documents back to you after making copies of them for your file.

Cardor wrote: »
    No - You might not get accepted until October - They are very busy and its a slow process

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Im already panicking but more so now! I sent in all my documents etc to Kildare KCC and although I sent them by registered post really worried they didnt get them. Some people seem to be getting forms back already :eek:! I did phone and asked but since I applied online with the form not sure if thats what they said they got as opposed to the actual documents. How long does it usually take before they sent documents back to you or let you know they got anything? I'll have no nerves or hair left from worry by the time I get to college! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Applegoat

Im already panicking but more so now! I sent in all my documents etc to Kildare KCC and although I sent them by registered post really worried they didnt get them. Some people seem to be getting forms back already :eek:! I did phone and asked but since I applied online with the form not sure if thats what they said they got as opposed to the actual documents. How long does it usually take before they sent documents back to you or let you know they got anything? I'll have no nerves or hair left from worry by the time I get to college! :D

sent all mine in about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard a peep, or gotten any documents back, wouldn't worry tbh. It tends to be a pretty slow process :(

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

guys just did my grant online with the dl vec.

just asking what checklist i need to give into them

birthcert
    parents income (p60)
    my p45
    bank account ( to show i live at home)
    copy of passport

what else would i need?!

how are you meant to prove you lived in ireland 3 of the last 5 years?!

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Does anyone know if your sending in a renewal how long will it take to hear if you have been reassessed plz:(:confused:?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

pittsburgh wrote: »
    guys just did my grant online with the dl vec.

just asking what checklist i need to give into them

birthcert
    parents income (p60)
    my p45
    bank account ( to show i live at home)
    copy of passport

what else would i need?!

thanks

I got a letter from my school saying that I was in school from 2007 till 2011...i hope that will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nimrodsson

Apologies if this info is staring me in the face - but on the student finance site, and on the applciation form/guidance form i can't seem to find any exact info about maintenance grant etc - sure, on the home page of student finance it mentions changes to eligiblity for the non adjacent grants etc - but where does the general info about this topic, not just the changes? I can't seem to find anything about it. For instance, i wouldn't know if i have to apply for a maintenace grant and a fees grant separetely or not. I'm assuming that the grant form is an 'all in one' situation - but really i'm looking for the document that tells me that! Also, i'm trying to figure out how much is awarded for maintenance. Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

I have a bit of a problem with my grant application that I'm really hoping someone here might be able to help me with.

Basically I was working until mid Oct 2010, when I started a new job. However this new job is a bit complicated and although I don't really class myself as being self employed because I don't have a business or anything, it is in fact technically self employment. This means that I have to organise my own taxes etc.
    Now I earned about €3600 in 2010 through this new self employed job.

Because I never really realised I was self employed and because I really have very limited knowledge on taxes etc. I just kept putting it out of my head because somebody had told me that a tax year runs from Oct-Oct. So I am only getting around to registering myself to be able to pay my taxes now.

This is all above board, however my problem now is that I called my County council to enquire about how to prove my income for 2010 when there is about €3600 that I earned but have no payslips etc. for so no official proof. The lady told me to just get a P21 and send that in and when I explained to her that because I haven't organised my taxes for the last few months of 2010 those earnings wouldnt be on my P21, she told me not to worry about it that all they are concerned with is the earnings on my P21.

So as far as I can see all I can do is send in my P21 and not mention the last few months of 2010's self employment, as this is what she told me to do.

My problem is that if I do this then I'm thinking that the €3600 will end up being counted in my grant when I go to reapply next year for the second year of the course. And I have just worked out my income for 2011 and if I was to include those two and a half months of 2010 in my 2011's income then I would be very close to the cut off point for my grant. I'm just very worried that maybe if the cut off point was changed next year in the budget etc. I might miss out on my grant next year because of it.

However, this year I am well within the boundary and have no problem at all declaring this €3600 euro, only for the fact that I have nothing official to prove it!

This whole thing is wrecking my head so I'm really sorry if this post is hard to understand,as to be honest I'm finding the whole thing a little hard to understand myself but I'd be really appreciative to anyone who can try understand what I'm on about and help me with this!

In short I guess I'm saying that theres €3600 that I earned at the end of 2010 that I cannot officiall prove. The person in Co. Co. told me to leave it out. But I'm worried that when I go to apply next year for the grant for the second year of my course that this €3600 will then be counted and I'm worried this will push me over the boundaries for next years grant!

Thanks to anyone who has struggled through this post with me!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

nimrodsson wrote: »
    Apologies if this info is staring me in the face - but on the student finance site, and on the applciation form/guidance form i can't seem to find any exact info about maintenance grant etc - sure, on the home page of student finance it mentions changes to eligiblity for the non adjacent grants etc - but where does the general info about this topic, not just the changes? I can't seem to find anything about it. For instance, i wouldn't know if i have to apply for a maintenace grant and a fees grant separetely or not. I'm assuming that the grant form is an 'all in one' situation - but really i'm looking for the document that tells me that! Also, i'm trying to figure out how much is awarded for maintenance. Thanks in advance.

Is this info here any help to you?
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

pittsburgh wrote: »
    http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Student%20Grant%20Scheme%202011.pdf
    Documentary evidence for residency for 3 out of the last 5 years
    This may be one or more of the following:
    • evidence that the applicant sat the Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate exams in
    Ireland, or equivalent school exams in the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    • a letter from a school principal in Ireland, the EU, EEA or Switzerland confirming the
    applicant’s attendance at a school;
    • social welfare statements or equivalents from the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    • utility bills;
    • registration with the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB), or equivalent from
    the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    • if the applicant is a non-EEA national, a letter from the Department of Justice and
    Equality confirming the period of lawful presence in Ireland. Periods of unlawful
    presence cannot be considered

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

nimrodsson wrote: »

All in one - information/rates here

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement