Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Script writing in Ireland

Options
  • 22-07-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Is there a point to writing a screenplay here? Or is there only room for writer/directors? Is there potential for an Irish screenwriter to sell a script to UK prod-co's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

I don't see why there shouldn't be. If you have a screenplay put together then you should submit it here. Right now I am working on a script for the company I am based with. I am breaking it down into a treatment, the first step towards submitting it for production funding. If you have something put together then you should consider this. There are production companies here in Ireland looking for new scripts to work with. There are other options too, you could direct the film yourself....hence keeping creative control, submit it into festivals etc. If it is a big budget then you should send it to as many production companies in Ireland as you can. Also the UK as you mentioned is another option for you, so go for it, by all means. Good luck with OP, hope it works out for you. In the future we could even work on something together if you would like to.

Den

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

hi,
    I didn't check the post after the first day or two since it didn't look like i'd get a reply. Still thanks for replying. I've a couple of scripts but not yet polished enough to be ready to send to anyone. I'm planning on writing another one soon and attempt to bring it to a good enough level. Glad to know that there is a market for this kind of stuff out there.

Hi Memnoch

That's great news man, keep up the good work. There is definitely a market out there for scripts, that's for sure. Don't limit yourself to one area as there are many production companies out there looking for new projects. If you speak another language then that is a huge plus. If you have something you feel may appeal to another audience, get your work translated and send them on a treatment and see what happens. Being multi-lingual is a huge advantage. So huge in fact, I will be soon taking Spanish lessons. Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 seansshack

The world is a smaller place these days. So I believe (and hope) if you have a good enough story, you can break in from anywhere.

Keep writing and making contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭fergisimo

"FADE IN:

INT. - APARTMENT - DAY

We are in a beautiful laid-back, lounge like Apartment. The lights are dim, the shutters are closed.
    The room is a dark wine red colour, giving the room a sensual feel. A tall, thin man steps into frame.
    This is our troubled Hero, ANTON. ANTON is a mixed race, athletically built suave retired detective. With
    his slight afro and tight beard, he looks the part.

A woman sits into frame. Her black bra lace slides over her shoulder, slowly. ANTON clicks the VINYL to
    play a light Jazz tune. The mystery woman speaks. "

That's my writing style. I know it's not the best...but I honestly love writing, so I'm hoping to start a feature length script soon.

• Advertisement

I love writing too fergisimo. A good start always sets the tone and you are off to a good start there. Now all you have to do is expand on your script and you are well on your way. Best of luck with it.

Den

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 madeleine42

I'm a script reader trying to get into script consulting full time so if anybody wants some help with their scripts or advice on story/formatting or anything else, I'd be happy to help. Just pm me if you have a script or part of one that you want input on. (For free):)

Thanks madelaine42

I am sure we will be calling on your services in the future. :) Also a collaboration with other boardsies could be a possibility.

Yeah I'd love to collaborate on something anyway - scriptwriting can be a lonely business!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Hey madeleine,

I'm just wondering how one goes about getting a job as a script reader? Understand fully if you don't feel like sharing this info. But would be great to get some tips as I'm thinking about exploring the possibility myself.

• Advertisement

Well it's tough...I basically just sent about 50 mails to production companies when I finished my degree, begging to be given a chance, saying I would do samples for free. I got two responses, did two sample reports and then got taken on as a freelance reader for both. But the work is very sporadic and doesn't pay well - average is about 40 euro for a script.Ireland is really too small for this kind of thing. Although I've tried US companies, they generally want people who can pick up hard copy scripts when needed...

To be honest I'm just starting out so I'm not an authority on the subject by any means, but in my experience, it's a very difficult thing to get into. Same as all media jobs in Ireland really...persistence and random networking seems to be the key!

Sorry for the pessimism!I hope there's some useful advice in there somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

I'm a script reader trying to get into script consulting full time so if anybody wants some help with their scripts or advice on story/formatting or anything else, I'd be happy to help. Just pm me if you have a script or part of one that you want input on. (For free):)
    No offence but how do we know you won't steal our ideas as there ks no copyright on an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

fergisimo wrote: »
    Her black bra lace slides over her shoulder, slowly. ANTON clicks the VINYL to
    play a light Jazz tune.

Man, I'd have her whip off her polyester bra real fast and have the dude put on some Metallica or something on the radio, y'know a bit speedy and angular. Something a bit real, nobody uses vinyl. The guy could be paunchy too, I'm so over all those great-physique-light-jazz-lingerie tableaux ...

Originality is the spice of life ...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

No offence but how do we know you won't steal our ideas as there ks no copyright on an idea?

no cpoyright on an idea, but there is copyright on a script that is automatically enforced by european law when you wrote the script.

Sooo she cant steal your script.

Maybe the idea and write a new script around that idea. But not your script.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 writer64

Best wishes in your work.

Simplyscripts.com provides numerous film scripts free.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sunnymattew

Very creative script writer needed, must be voluntary (+future payments)

For short drama/plays & new neighbourhood series

Please PM

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cassandra1

Hallo Madeleine, I would love to have some help/assistance to perfect my script for submission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

"Maybe the idea and write a new script around that idea. But not your script."

thats what i meant. I know there is no copyright on ideas

Advertisement