Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I think hes talking about this film

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Birneybau wrote: »
    Really?

well maybe not im doubting myself now because usually i've no idea what he was talking about but a google of that john carter throws up that disney film

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn:

Visually it was quite interesting and looked decent enough. The story is ok but it seems very fast paced without any real character background. I watched Tintin the odd time when I was younger and knew he was a journalist but for those seeing a Tintin related film for the first time would be quite confused as it doesn't delve into his background.

As I say, the story is very fast paced. One minute you're in the market in the opening scene and boom, you're whisked away and you're now on a boat.

I don't mind that it's so fast paced and straight to the point but I really didn't find the story that engrossing. It had a few nice set pieces but nothing too breathtaking bar
    towards the end when they're chasing the eagle with the third scroll. That was quite impressive looking.

Other than that it wasn't my cup of tea at all.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Remake):

Thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish. I hadn't seen the original film so had no idea what it was about. Was enthralled throughout and I loved Rooney Mara in this.

The runtime is quite long but it didn't feel like it at all and the story never wained and was enough to keep the viewer entertained. Quite enjoyable and would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

My housemate and I tried to watch Happiness this evening. I think you have to be in a certain mindset to watch it. It being a lazy Saturday evening, we definitely weren't in that mindset.

Halfway through Happiness we gave up and watched Frost/Nixon instead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CharAdriel

Saw The Lorax on Friday. I think they finally got Dr. Seuss right. Great environmental message, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Seen orphan last night on channel four. Proper scary, freaky freaky film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Paprika.

A pretty horrendous Anime that I'm not recommending in the Anime thread.

Disgraceful stuff!!!

Miyazaki is Anime done well. There's so much ****e Anime out there it's unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

Brendog wrote: »
    I watched "Michael".

Absolutley creepy. Couldn't help spend the entire next day running the fact that this could be happing in any house I walk past.

where did you watch it? gf is looking to watch it and has me plagued..

went to john carter.. too long but enjoyable enough, geared up for the sequels no doubt

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

My housemate and I tried to watch Happiness this evening. I think you have to be in a certain mindset to watch it. It being a lazy Saturday evening, we definitely weren't in that mindset.

Yeah, I can see why you'd need to be in a certain type of mood to watch this, but definitely give it another shot some time as it's a fantastic film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

The Incredibles. so good! I love Disney Pixar! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

Gulliver's travels - one of the first of the Hollywood animated features. Quite good and Disney cetainly ripped it off!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Finneen wrote: »
    Gulliver's travels - one of the first of the Hollywood animated features. Quite good and Disney cetainly ripped it off!

How and when?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sindri wrote: »
    Paprika.

A pretty horrendous Anime that I'm not recommending in the Anime thread.

Disgraceful stuff!!!

Miyazaki is Anime done well. There's so much ****e Anime out there it's unbelievable.

Odd, I'm quite a fan of Papika. It's not Satoshi Kon's best - I'd reserve that title for Millenium Actress - but it's imaginative and clever nonetheless, with a spectacular soundtrack. I do agree it's messy in terms of pacing and narrative, but the good outweighs the bad IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

TT - Closer to the Edge

Good doc, very funny in lots of places.
    For someone who doesn't care much for motorbikes, it was still very entertaining.

Saw this the other day. Likewise I'm no motorbike enthusiast at all, but this is top notch stuff with some amazing footage. Only saw the 2D version and would love to see the 3D one. It's currently rating at 100% for critics and 97% for audience on Rotten Tomatoes.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How and when?
    1939. Similar to later Disney films e.g. pair of cute birds, slouching characters, songs, same humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

The Raven
    The macabre and lurid tales of Edgar Allan Poe are vividly brought to life - and death - in this stylish, gothic thriller. When a madman begins committing horrific murders inspired by Poe's darkest works, a young Baltimore detective joins forces with Poe in a quest to get inside the killer's mind in order to stop him from making every one of Poe's brutal stories a blood chilling reality. A deadly game of cat and mouse ensues, which escalates when Poe's love becomes the next target

Entertaining stuff overall,but the ending was'nt great imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thor, still my favourite Marvel adaptation so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

I watched Sleepers tonight. Thought it was an excellent film and hard hitting too, a good watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

tricky D wrote: »
    Saw this the other day. Likewise I'm no motorbike enthusiast at all, but this is top notch stuff with some amazing footage. Only saw the 2D version and would love to see the 3D one. It's currently rating at 100% for critics and 97% for audience on Rotten Tomatoes.

Like "TT - Closer to the Edge" go and see the real thing it's even better. :D

http://manxland.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Went to see John Carter tonight; its a good movie and I'd definitely recommend it but I should say that if I wore a watch I'd have been checking it a few times as it felt quite long. Still worth watching though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Red Balloon - Short, simple, wonderful. The tale of a boy and his 'pet' balloon set in 1950s Paris. It's a beautiful fantasy, full of gorgeous imagery, movement, energy, colour and humour. But the film ultimately takes on a deeper allegorical meaning, and it's what makes it transcend a mere innocent fantasy into a true classic. It's thirty minutes long, but it achieves so much in that time with barely a word uttered.

Also, is it wrong that I'm more impressed with the effects of a 1950s film about a red balloon than I am by most CGI spectacles? Must have been a seriously challenging film to choreograph!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The Red Balloon - Short, simple, wonderful. The tale of a boy and his 'pet' balloon set in 1950s Paris. It's a beautiful fantasy, full of gorgeous imagery, movement, energy, colour and humour. But the film ultimately takes on a deeper allegorical meaning, and it's what makes it transcend a mere innocent fantasy into a true classic. It's thirty minutes long, but it achieves so much in that time with barely a word uttered.

Also, is it wrong that I'm more impressed with the effects of a 1950s film about a red balloon than I am by most CGI spectacles? Must have been a seriously challenging film to choreograph!

Just beautiful, a must see for anyone that calls themselves a film fan.

Check out Flight of the Red Balloon from Hsiao-hsien Hou. It's quite similar to the Red Balloon and pays tribute a number of times. It's on Netflix and is a nice, light piece of cinema that will leave you with a smile on your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Halfway through Happiness we gave up and watched Frost/Nixon instead. :)

You should give defo give it another try, its an excellent film, though difficult to watch at times I'd agree, I'd also recommend its sort of sequel "Life During Wartime" another great, offbeat film:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Depps best role imo, although I haven't seen all his movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Help - Predictable but watchable. It should never have been nominated for best film at the Oscars either. 6/10

Check out Flight of the Red Balloon from Hsiao-hsien Hou. It's quite similar to the Red Balloon and pays tribute a number of times. It's on Netflix and is a nice, light piece of cinema that will leave you with a smile on your face.

I saw it when it was out in the cinema a few years ago. I recall liking it, but only remember small details about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The Big Year:

Wasn't a fan of this at all. Despite Steve Martin, Owen Wilson and Jack Black as the main characters, I say I laughed about 3 times during the course of it.

It was a pretty wasted opportunity to be honest.

Young Adult:

Pretty enjoyable overall but quite sad in that Charlize Theron's character just can't seem to let go of the past and move on.
    The scene towards the end when she mentions the miscarriage is pretty sad and I must admit I had one or two tears in my eye at that stage.

Pretty decent and heart warming.

Safe House:

Decent enough action film. Not ground breaking but it's pretty well shot. Very fast paced. Slightly like the way 'The Bourne Ultimatum' was shot.

The action scenes are decent but
    figuring out who the good cop and the bad cop were was very predictable and was a bit disappointed that there wasn't more of a guessing game involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Like "TT - Closer to the Edge" go and see the real thing it's even better. :D

http://manxland.wordpress.com/

See it, sod that, I want to ride the bleedin thing now and I really hate being on motorbikes.:D

• Advertisement

Pom pom girls - high-school movie from the 1970s. Dire stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement