Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most obscure game in your collection?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I've not that much obscure/rare stuff (not counting stuff made by RARE I guess)
    I've a brazilian pirate Montezuma's revenge/Super Cobra VCS cart.
    And the Tomytronic Jungle Fighter 3d is pretty hard to get hold of..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I have Lunar Silver Star Story Complete and Eternal Blue Complete collectors editions in perfect nick on the PSOne. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure which is a bit trippy. Also have a factory sealed English PAL version of Terranigma on the SNES that I bought in Gamesworld on Liffey Street (now Gamestop) for £5. Bought two of them at the time - one to play and one to keep.

Also have a Gizmondo I picked up for €20, with six games. Since bought SSX 3 and FIFA for it, but it's really an awful machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

No Idea which of mine might be worth most,
    so many systems, I think ones that be great to have in 20 years will be some of my Virtual Boy Games, some sealed too...

Outside of that I just purchased "Ninja Baseball Batman Jamma PCB",
    only 43 of these ever reached USA back in the day,
    now its not worth much its just Bootleg, but its such a cool obsure game, Chuffed !!!

Better arrive soon and in working order...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Tokyo Bus Guide 2 on the PS2 :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm minding it for him, along with his TEST PS2, and his digital amp!

(he's never getting them back!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Not rare by any means, but for Ireland, I suppose obscure.

Policenauts Ltd Edition, with artwork book etc all CIB. Saturn version

$%28KGrHqZ,%21pQE8WTrTpQEBPL2jPfbBQ%7E%7E60_3.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

probably Neuromancer....

and thanks to this thread the theme song is now stuck in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Would a boxed, PAL copy of Secrets of Evermore count as obscure?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

eldwaro wrote: »
    probably Neuromancer....

and thanks to this thread the theme song is now stuck in my head

Well some things never change :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I dunno what obscure is, is it "rare" or just a strange, weird game you have?

I have a cool god of war 3 media kit, infamous 2 media kit too which is a wallet with credit cards etc in it.. pretty sweet. have a few other media kits aswell.

the god of war 3 one is the best looking one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Thats the one that came in a wooden box isnt it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

keithgeo wrote: »
    I dunno what obscure is, is it "rare" or just a strange, weird game you have?

It's basically anything in Pyongyang's collection. Don't think anyone needs reminding about that pictionary thread! :pac:

Doubt I'd have anything obscure in my collection, actually unless that Wyvern Wings PCB counts. Not many folk on this forum had probably heard of it I reckon. Maybe Battle Kid aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Oi! My collection isn't obscure its just, well, a happy go lucky jockey called Dennis.

He is 37, lives in Altringham and enjoys microwave cookery classes, painting Hummel figurines and Yemenese cuisine.

Now, to summarize 'obscure':

Super Famicom. Not obscure.
    Casio Loopy. Obscure.

A Green Day CD. Not obscure.
    A Peter Falk 8 track lounge hits compilation. Obscure.

:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Thats the one that came in a wooden box isnt it?

Yep thats the one, looks great. big blood stain on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

All my stuff is common as muck to be honest. Less common (can't call it rare) item I have is probably the ICO pack that included the post cards - although haven't seen it in ages...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

What's really ahead of its time was the Xerox Alto. Up to 512kB of RAM in 1973? That's nearly as much as my fully upgraded IBM XT (640K)

Only saw this post now, but when I discovered about the Alto from watching "Triumph of the Nerds" a few years ago I was amazed, went looking up ever video I could possibly find.

Especially this video of an early multiplayer (over ethenet, which they developed) FPS game, it blew my mind:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

strange, weird game you have?
    1 weird one I have is "minder" from the TV series
    http://www.minder.org/mindplay/mindgame.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

rubadub wrote: »
    strange, weird game you have?
    1 weird one I have is "minder" from the TV series
    http://www.minder.org/mindplay/mindgame.htm

Now that IS obscure!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It wasn't at the time!
    It was one of a load of tv licences of british TV.
    Minder, Young Ones, Coronation Street!
    None all that good mind you :(

Having watched an episode or two I reckon "The Professionals" would make a good GTA clone, albeit with it's tongue firmly in cheek, same tone as Life on Mars perhaps, if it was played straight it'd wind up like The Getaway :(

As for rare games, a good one to watch out for is The Getaway for the PS2, there was the initial run that, at one stage, featured a British Telecom van, due to the tone of the game the company asked that their logos be removed so they were in later issues of the game, therefore the original BT containing copy of the game as gathered some value.
    And I had one, from when I bought the game when it was first released... then sold it and now have the cheapo one instead.... Bugger!

• CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    a good one to watch out for is The Getaway for the PS2........I had one, from when I bought the game when it was first released... then sold it and now have the cheapo one instead.... Bugger!

I had that version too, but now all i have is a "backup" (ahem) of it and a mid-price "platinum" version original disc. It was kinda sh*te anyway. Once the novelty of driving around saff london wore off i just got sick of the gameplay and went back to GTA vice city, which was miles better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

All my stuff is common as muck to be honest. Less common (can't call it rare) item I have is probably the ICO pack that included the post cards - although haven't seen it in ages...

I've that Ico edition... is that rare?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I've that Ico edition... is that rare?!

Unfortunately no.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Minder, Young Ones, Coronation Street!
    None all that good mind you :(
    Just searched for coronation street games, theres a few, including this newer one.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coronation-Street-Mystery-Missing-Hotpot/dp/B0057LGBZ0
    61U44edRzrL.jpg

The other one I still have is samantha fox strip poker, which I remember being told was "bought for the poker", which I believe, it was on a spectrum!, you'd want to be very hard up to be getting excited looking at those graphics:p

Probably glad the Speccy had a rubber keyboard then, in case of "spillages".......

Truth be told more young men got hot and heavy playing Football Manager than staring at some pixellated tarts chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

In terms of value Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force 3 sc1-3 and premium disc I guess
    oh and one of the rarer discs of Lunar Silver Star Story

In terms of how many people probably played them maybe Langrisser 2 or Sigma Star Saga

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Sigma Star Saga

Ah I forgot about that, I've got that as well. Only played a bit of it but it's rather good

Having made a related comment in another thread I was reminded that the most obscure game in my collection is also, possibly, the only copy of the game and necessary console in the country, and that is Tempest 3000 and the Nuon, respectively.
    Tempest 3k, the sequel to the only reason to own a Jaguar Tempest 2000, is another game from the insane mind of gifted developer Jeff Minter and is a glorious miasma of light and sound, not to mention gameplay.
    Sure, the pervasive lightshow gets in the way of the game but it is a beautiful thing nonetheless.
    The console was a massive flop, a gaming chipset designed to be built into DVD players, set top boxes etc. Sadly none came to pass aside from a handful of DVD players.
    The games were dreadful aside from Tempest, and machine quickly descended into bargain bins and disappeared.
    The console was actually released in the US, Korea and Europe, mostly thanks to Korean backer Samsung's support, some machines lack the controller ports, however but these can be hacked into the machine.
    So, the Nuon and Tempest 3000, not just rare as hens teeth but as rare as good crown work on hens teeth!

Advertisement