Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

DaCor wrote: »
    so they are going to spend how much and its going to make sweet damn all difference to 90% of the people who travel on that road based on that drawing

</frustration>
    EUR 10 mil. according to officials: http://www.galwaycity.ie/GTU/230910_01.pdf

I doubt it will help anybody: If you carefully look on the layout, you will notice that traffic lights will be introduced at every junction.

We need the bypass: all of it, from Barna to M6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

will these lights at least be 'smart'? Timed properly according to traffic flow and linked up to ALL the lights around there (such as Taylor's Hill junction etc)?

I can't see how this scheme will improve the traffic at all at all - there's hardly any busses going along that route, and the people who need to use Westside usually come from further out West, where there's no public transport anyway...

+1 for the bypass from Barna to M6, and another bridge - money much better spent, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

galah wrote: »
    will these lights at least be 'smart'? Timed properly according to traffic flow and linked up to ALL the lights around there (such as Taylor's Hill junction etc)?
    Smart like the lights at The Huntsman? How is that junction these days as a matter of interest? When I'm in Galway I avoid there like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Had to laugh when I saw signs "major roadworks ahead, expect delays, OCT 2010 - OCT 2011!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Malice_ wrote: »
    Smart like the lights at The Huntsman? How is that junction these days as a matter of interest? When I'm in Galway I avoid there like the plague.

I avoid the Dublin Road like the plague everyday!

Between Doughiska and the Huntsman there are 8 sets of traffic lights between junctions and crossings. Add a few more if you go into town or anywhere else.

I hope they don't do the same to the Seamus Quirke Rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

schween wrote: »
    I avoid the Dublin Road like the plague everyday!

Between Doughiska and the Huntsman there are 8 sets of traffic lights between junctions and crossings.
    Seriously? They must have added a few more since I was last driving in the area. I'd say the extra lights really help keeping traffic moving at peak times, just like the lights at the courthouse ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,651 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Moneenageshia
    Duggans
    Bon Secours / Michael Collins Rd
    Kingsvalley
    Doughiska Rd
    crossing on Doughiska Rd
    another crossing on Doughiska Rd

... hmm, must have forgotten one.

Anyways, they certainly make life easier for pedestrians.

And as a pedestrian who occasionally catches a bus to Westside library and so has to cross SQR, I'm very keen for some more controlled crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »
    Moneenageshia

And as a pedestrian who occasionally catches a bus to Westside library and so has to cross SQR, I'm very keen for some more controlled crossings.

I believe I saw on one of the older plans that a pedestrian overpass near Westside library is being built. At least there is one lights there. Once you get past Westside pitch lights, it is nigh on impossible to cross the road anywhere before the next roundabout. Crossing at bottom of Rahoon Rd is a nightmare!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Moneenageshia
    Duggans
    Bon Secours / Michael Collins Rd
    Kingsvalley
    Doughiska Rd
    crossing on Doughiska Rd
    another crossing on Doughiska Rd ... hmm, must have forgotten one.

There are pedestrian-activated lights adjacent to renmore road crossing to Wellpark...and another at Gmit - Dawn Dairies

People have died crossing on the Seamus Quirke Road in the past - it is a heavily populated area with constant pedestrian presence. If traffic was not crawling there on a daily basis, I'm sure there would be more collisions. Not everything has to be motorist-centric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The original plans for the SQR upgrade included a pedestrian bridge around the Church/Library/Aldi area. It's a shame the bridge has been scrapped - it would have been safer than pedestrians crossing an extrememly busy 4 lane road at road level.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    There are pedestrian-activated lights adjacent to renmore road crossing to Wellpark...and another at Gmit - Dawn Dairies

People have died crossing on the Seamus Quirke Road in the past - it is a heavily populated area with constant pedestrian presence. If traffic was not crawling there on a daily basis, I'm sure there would be more collisions. Not everything has to be motorist-centric.

I agree. Build a bypass and take the traffic out of the city.

Two issues with the pedestrian activated lights:
    1. They are usually installed where people do not find them convenient, so they do not get used; the council should really ask the people where to put these.
    2. Where they are used people press the button, but do not wait for the green (even when they have kids with them, thus teaching them that is OK to cross on red)

Point 1 above reminds me on how the Japanese make alleys in a park: they open the park to the public, then after one month they lay asphalt on the newly formed paths on the grass.

KevR wrote: »
    The original plans for the SQR upgrade included a pedestrian bridge around the Church/Library/Aldi area. It's a shame the bridge has been scrapped - it would have been safer than pedestrians crossing an extrememly busy 4 lane road at road level.

They scrapped it? Sorry missed that. Anyone have a link to the updated plans (what is going where etc) as the PDF I saw must be the older version. Thanks.

inisboffin wrote: »
    They scrapped it? Sorry missed that. Anyone have a link to the updated plans (what is going where etc) as the PDF I saw must be the older version. Thanks.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GTU/220910_01.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 25,651 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »

And I realised later another set at the Oranmore Coast Rd turn too.

1 Moneenageshia
    2 Wellpark
    3 Duggans
    4 Bon Secours / Michael Collins Rd
    5 Dawn Dairies
    6 Kingsvalley
    7 Oranmore Coast Rd
    8 Doughiska Rd

Yup, that's eight alright!

DanielI wrote: »

Thanks for that. I did see it earlier in the thread, but the 'older' plans to which I was referring were about 20 pages long with detailed specific areas (ie how much of pitch is to be taken etc). They were the ones that talked about the overpass, the detail of the roundabout at the top of the Shantalla/Rahoon Rd, the amount of trees being felled, the replacement tree and wall plans etc. When I open the link above I only get a one pager with no key - am I not seeing the full thing on this computer?

You see it all. It's just one long page.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

skelliser wrote: »
    10 million and one year to build two bus lanes!!
    ****ing joke shop!
    I didn't think they could top the messing they did with Eyre Square.

I was wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sherifu wrote: »
    I didn't think they could top the messing they did with Eyre Square. I was wrong.

They are digging up Claregalway starting next week too. Imagine a Corofin-Barna commute :eek:

unless you own a house in either location, move...

Nightmare...

and every year the same question - why can't they start this stuff during the summer holidays, when there's relatively little traffic? I sincerely hope the Seamus Quirke overhaul will somehow take rush hours into consideration...(but I know they won't...;-()

They can't even manage to put up the warning signs correctly so that people can actually read them (the one going up towards the taylor's Hill junction was hidden behind a tree until someone copped and moved it, and the one on the bridge is sitting in the bushes, too.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Wonder how this work will interfere with the likes of Arch Motors, Aldi, The Westside Shopping Centre and the units across the road, surely they will have to give priority access to these companies so the can operate with out a loss of business.

• Advertisement

Aerohead wrote: »
    Wonder how this work will interfere with the likes of Arch Motors, Aldi, The Westside Shopping Centre and the units across the road, surely they will have to give priority access to these companies so the can operate with out a loss of business.

To be honest, I won't mind that Topaz next to Arch Motors going dry for a few days.:D

But I think they are going to start working on the opposite side, starting at the hospital roundabout, because they will extend that second lane from the N6 approach.

unless you own a house in either location, move...
    and every year the same question - why can't they start this stuff during the summer holidays, when there's relatively little traffic? I sincerely hope the Seamus Quirke overhaul will somehow take rush hours into consideration...(but I know they won't...;-()
    They can't even manage to put up the warning signs correctly so that people can actually read them (the one going up towards the taylor's Hill junction was hidden behind a tree until someone copped and moved it, and the one on the bridge is sitting in the bushes, too.).

In summer, there's the Races, the tourists, the other festivals. We'd complain because they were doing it then and why not do it later in the year..
    Remember when the resurfaced the Quicennteary bridge a few years back, there was complaints about them doing it in summer.

Where are the warning signs located - Have they placed the warning signs for motorists on marked footpaths, thus restricting pedestrian movement?

nah, I'd always whinge about the fact that they do it after the holidays rather than in them...;-)

I think the signs are not blocking pedestrian access (as far as I noticed), but they're really difficult to see (or at least to read the full text on them, cause by the time you see the signs, you're past them...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

nah, I'd always whinge about the fact that they do it after the holidays rather than in them...;-)
    I agree if it was going to take a couple of months as you would have more hours of daylight. It would make it easier for all road users to navigate on the roadway. But as its going to take 1 year to complete, it probably would not make any difference when they started here. By the way Galway City Council could have started this road project as far back as 2003. Any ideas why it would be in their interests too delay this project??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I agree if it was going to take a couple of months as you would have more hours of daylight. It would make it easier for all road users to navigate on the roadway. But as its going to take 1 year to complete, it probably would not make any difference when they started here. By the way Galway City Council could have started this road project as far back as 2003. Any ideas why it would be in their interests too delay this project??

Apparently there were the usual objectors, I also understand there were objections to the pedestrian overhead walkway opposite Dunnes Stores. I would prefer that to crossing that road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭jkforde

if there's one thing that this thread proves is that the public will never be satisfied.. publicly offer them one thing (by placing it under their noses, eg public consultation) and they'll whinge and want something else, give them that and they'll demand the other. no wonder public servants and politicians have given up on us and us on them. :rolleyes:

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

jkforde wrote: »
    if there's one thing that this thread proves is that the public will never be satisfied.. publicly offer them one thing (by placing it under their noses, eg public consultation) and they'll whinge and want something else, give them that and they'll demand the other. no wonder public servants and politicians have given up on us and us on them. :rolleyes:

Do you honestly think that's a fair comment?

The road that is now being built is not what was publicly "offered" (as if it's some gift :D ) and the An Bord Pleanala approved plan is not being built. At best it's arrogant; at worst, it's legality is questionable.

well, to my personal defense, I wasnt living out West when the project came up for public consultation (not a very good excuse, but an excuse nonetheless). I never had to experience the craziness that is Westside before, having only recently moved...:o

but I still think we could expect a bit more cop-on from the council - 24 hour bus lanes without the busses, no proper pedestrian bridges, more traffic lights, etc etc...I bet these people don't have to sit in that traffic everyday...

Just for those of ye who are welded to your furry steering wheels..
    The Council have decided to carry out repairs to one of only four bridges spanning the Corrib, the Wolfe Tone bridge.
    Traffic will be reduced to one lane for a six hour period each day (varies - tide dependent) for two weeks starting on 6th October

• Advertisement

hooray! So Wolftone Bridge a bottleneck AND Westside as well, at the same time. This must be a cruel joke.

Is there anything else they could do right now to cause more mayhem? Maybe digging up Lough Atalia again? Installing traffic lights at the Terryland roundabout? Pipe-laying along the Tuam Road? Pedestrianising Salmon Weir Bridge maybe?

Advertisement