Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UPC 100mb Thomson TWG870UIR Router

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭losttheplot

beanian wrote: »
    I can confirm the router does come with a USB wireless N adapter wink.gif

Inquitus wrote: »
    The router is backwards compatible with a/b/g as well as n. It also comes with one USB dongle and driver CD.

Inq

Thanks for the info - saves a trip to ebay or amazon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

vibe666 wrote: »
    its the E3000 VPN build of tomatoUSB, there's some great features of it and once i pointed the new router to the bandwidth logs from my old router that i have saved on my NAS, it uses them as if it generated them itself, so i still have all my old usage logs going back to 2009. :)

Man, thats fairly tasty.... definitely going to have a go of that build, cheers!
    I'd be interested to hear what magic words :) you said to them. Cable modems are relatively cheap. I'd sign up to their 100Mb service and an extra 12 months in a heartbeat if I could have my own modem on the line.

No trickery involved. ;)
    I was having issues with the modem, advised them that the modem was constantly resetting itself. They came to the obvious conclusion that the modem was faulty and that they would have to send me a new one. I told them I had my own modem lying around, and would be willing to use that to save them the cost of sending a new modem out. They took the MAC address, and provisioned it on the network, and I was up and running within a half an hour. :) Happy days!
    i'd be happy to test it for you if you want to hand over your login details! :p

on the plus side, i just checked my dyndns url for my NAS & router and they both seem to be working now, so it appears to have sorted itself out. maybe it just took time to update the routing table or something like that.

all sorted anyway, so i can confirm that the instructions in roast's guide do indeed work (not sure why there was a delay with mine) to give you (more or less) the same results as the old bridge mode in the cisco epc2425, BUT that the phone ports still work.

I know nothing about USENET, so I can't really comment. :pac:

Good to hear your config is working again. Very strange about the delay. I'll see if the same thing happens me when I eventually get another router with Tomato. Good to hear the guide was helpful though, cheers. :D

-Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Just got the new modem this evening..

It looks like the thomson actually has what we want, but UPC have opted to disable it.

Go to "Network" on the top bar, then "Portbase PassThrough" on the left menu.
    This page allows the configuration of each Ethernet Port. Per default, each Ethernet port is routed. If you enable the Passthrough, the Ethernet Port will have a direct connection to the Network. Note that access to this web access can be denied by your Cable operator.

So what are the odds we can get someone in UPC to decide to change the router provisioning to allow access to this feature? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Moriarty wrote: »
    Just got the new modem this evening..

It looks like the thomson actually has what we want, but UPC have opted to disable it.

Go to "Network" on the top bar, then "Portbase PassThrough" on the left menu.

So what are the odds we can get someone in UPC to decide to change the router provisioning to allow access to this feature? :)

Slim to none I'm afraid! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Roast,

Thanks to your guide I got things sorted in a couple of mins. One thing is still bugging me. The Thomson has the UPC DNS of 89.101.160.4 hardcoded, does that take precedence over the DNS specified in my router?

Cheers,

Inq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Can I plug a gigabit switch such as ZyXEL's GS-105B into one of these modems, the four ports that come with the Thompson are not enough for my needs?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Supercell wrote: »
    Can I plug a gigabit switch such as ZyXEL's GS-105B into one of these modems, the four ports that come with the Thompson are not enough for my needs?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Inquitus wrote: »
    Roast,

Thanks to your guide I got things sorted in a couple of mins. One thing is still bugging me. The Thomson has the UPC DNS of 89.101.160.4 hardcoded, does that take precedence over the DNS specified in my router?

Cheers,

Inq

DNS is allocated by whatever is handing out the DHCP. Presumably your router is doing so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

DNS is allocated by whatever is handing out the DHCP. Presumably your router is doing so...

Yeah.. or just manually set your own external (i.e. Google or Open DNS) DNS server on each client.You can use 'nslookup' at command prompt to check your current active DNS server.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I can confirm the router does come with a USB wireless N adapter ;)
    they *sometimes* come with a wireless N usb adapter. mine didn't and some people on the main thread have also not had one in the box. i think it comes with them with the earlier boxes (leftover from the 100mbps pilot) and some of these may still be in circulation with the installers, but newer ones probably don't, so upc can make an extra few quid selling you one instead.

that's just guesswork on my part tho, but it seems odd that some people were getting them and others aren't, particularly if upc are trying to sell them on now.

still, hard to complain at that price and my work laptop is already wireless n (and dual band) so i just need one for the wife's netbook as everything else in the house is wired aside from my wife's mobile phone and she doesn't use that online at home anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

they *sometimes* come with a wireless N usb adapter. mine didn't and some people on the main thread have also not had one in the box. i think it comes with them with the earlier boxes (leftover from the 100mbps pilot) and some of these may still be in circulation with the installers, but newer ones probably don't, so upc can make an extra few quid selling you one instead.

Yes that is probably the reason and pretty fair IMO, given how much cheaper 100mb service is now compared to the trial period.

Got my 100mb installed today, no wireless n adapter in the box, but not bothered, no use for one anyhow here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 38 journeyman

Hi All,

I've just got the Thomson router / modem as I've moved up to the UPC 50Mb service.
    However, I can't find anywhere in the router admin screens to set up static IPs for my LAN devices (i.e. to map IPs to the MAC addresses of each device so that the router always hands out the same IP to each device).

All previous modems / routers I've had for the last few years (including my previous UPC Cisco modem / router) have had this functionality, so difficult to believe it's not available on the Thomson. Is there something I've overlooked, or is it really not available ?

thanks,

journeyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

has anyone tried to max out their 100mb connection using a usenet provider? I'm on astraweb and my speed varies from 40-55mb.
    Astraweb claim they can max out a 100mb connection and I have seen this confirmed by users.
    My speedtest always range from 100-124mb so it's not an issue with UPC.
    I'm beginning to suspect it's something with the modem.
    I was previously on a 30mb line and i got a solid 30mb from astraweb 24/7.

I get 13.13MB/s when connected with cable on Astraweb.

I'm getting 9mb up but never ever above 49mb down using the upc speed test page.
    Just ran it now and got the following :-

1302364473.png

Have I got a 50mb connection instead of a 100mb one or does it take a few days to reach full speed or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

I got upgraded to the 100mb package at home yesterday. Upload speed is 8.9Mbps, but download is sitting at 40-60Mbps. Spent some time talking to their second level support and apparently this is a very common issue. Have to wait for an enginerr to call out to check the line :(

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

roast wrote: »
    Heres a small tut that I wrote about this a few months ago. This should sort you out. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665694&postcount=452

-Mick.

Great guide Mick...thanks.
    Ive just signed up for the 50Mb option coming from the 30Mb with the cisco epc2425 so im gonna be faced with this issue in a few days as im curently using a Netgear wndr3700 equipped with DD-WRT to deal with my crap.

I mainly use port forwarding for uTRorrent and Xbox Live. WHo knows, maybe i wont even need to set it up. If the Thomson works ok on XBL without any drop-outs i might leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Was just speaking to someone in support there about something else entirely and they mentioned that they're looking at making a second modem available which can work purely as a modem to let you bridge to a router of your own, as they've received a fair few comments from customers asking for this. We'll see if/when that appears, but it's somewhat promising news anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Was just speaking to someone in support there about something else entirely and they mentioned that they're looking at making a second modem available which can work purely as a modem to let you bridge to a router of your own, as they've received a fair few comments from customers asking for this. We'll see if/when that appears, but it's somewhat promising news anyway.

Sweet. Doubt its validity until it's available though....lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've gotten the DMZ method to work for me. Surely a simple firmware upgrade to allow bridging must be possible, even those damnable Cisco things managed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

has anyone played Xbox live with one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sculdugery

Just got the 50mb today and happy with it!

Can anyone tell me if its ok to turn off firewall in the settings and leave the windows one on?

If i turn both on it takes 30 seconds to load a page?

Cheers!

Sculdugery wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if its ok to turn off firewall in the settings and leave the windows one on?
    no, not safe at all.

Have a play around with some of the other firewall settings and see if it's any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sculdugery

Does anyone else have this issue? i turned it on there and on the speed test took a minute to do the ping test which was 9032 and when i turn it off its fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Anyone using a VPN Server on a DD-WRT router in the DMZ zone of the Thompson?

I had major problems trying to get it to work... in the end it worked when I forwarded port 1723 (PPTP) from the Thompson to the WAN IP of the DD-WRT router.I had to do this even though the DD-WRT was in the DMZ zone.

Anyway.. just a heads up! :)

This is what im currently getting on their 100mb package. To say im unimpressed is a understatement....

1308164661.png

This is what im currently getting on their 100mb package. To say im unimpressed is a understatement....

1308164661.png
    is that actually the speed you're getting though, or is it just the fastest speed that the speedtest.net server you are on can measure?

as a test, get yourself a download manager and download a few different linux ISO's from the heanet ftp servers, a service pack from microsoft and any other big download you can think of and see what it tops out at then, just so you know for sure that it is truly your maximum speed.

Already been to heanet to get a few ISO's through FTP. Tried some large torrents too. Speed is between the above and 50mbs at most. Just had the engineers call round, the signal is more then enough for 100mb. Unfortunatley they didn't bring a replacement modem. They will be back later..... i hope.

well, fingers crossed they get you sorted soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 snac

For reference, I do get the advertized speeds for my 100mb connection. Have had this for a week and it seems very stable and consistent on speed. Have also downloaded a 4GB ISO in less than 6 mins which sounds about right.

- snac

1308536109.png

Advertisement