Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Chit Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

pjtb wrote: »
    Is it that bad?:confused:
    Ah, I like to be overly cynical about the place, it's not ALL that bad, once you get used to it. If you'd like, An File and I will be on campus next week, we can show you around. Anyone else, feel free to reply back on this, I'm sure An File will be up for it! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Just a suggestion, but if Mary I is not going to have its own forum on boards.ie, can we at least make this thread a sticky? it tends to get buried from time to time, plus it would make Mary I students more aware that the college has a forum.

I completely agree, at least make more people aware of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

So how was orientation for any freshers???

I hope I didn't frighten them all off with my naysaying :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Wish we could turn this into a regular discussion thread for Mary I...

An File wrote: »
    Wish we could turn this into a regular discussion thread for Mary I...

Whats the process for making it a sticky? Who decides?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Whats the process for making it a sticky? Who decides?

Ask one of the mods Peteee or sceptre.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

I should see them both at some stage tonight!!!

I'm all up for a Mary I sticky..... I'll keep at them till they do it!!!:D:D:D

I'm so proud of you guys! *sniffs*

How's everyone settling back in? Teaching Practice is poo, I have nothing to look forward to for the next ba-zillion months :(

• Advertisement

I noticed there are hand cleaner units up all over the college, haven't seen a single person use them yet!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

RonMexico wrote: »
    I noticed there are hand cleaner units up all over the college, haven't seen a single person use them yet!

D4RK ONION uses those things obsessively! :D

I'd drink it if it made it more effective.

What course are you doing, if you don't mind me asking?

An File wrote: »
    D4RK ONION uses those things obsessively! :D

I wouldn't say it's obsessive, I just don't want to risk being sick for TP, plus they make your hands tingle and shiny clean! :D

For the record I suppose, I'm in 3rd year B.ED.

Postgrad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Stickied for the time being. Hopefully ye continue using this thread!

Peteee wrote: »
    Stickied for the time being. Hopefully ye continue using this thread!
    Thanks, I suppose creating a different forum for Mary I was impractical in fairness, but a sticky is a good idea.

Thanks for that !! So what does everybody think of the new building?? About time some money was invested in the place.

Thanks Peteee, I hope this is one of the stickies that people actually read!

@RonMexico, the new building seems to be coming along nicely. Rumour has it some facilites may be available as early as the beginning of next semester. It's a much-needed addition to the college.

• Advertisement

And it makes the place look so much better. I feel like one day this place might actually not be an eye sore. The mocked up pictures over by the reception certainly look very shiny.

And thanks for the stickey peteee!

Yeah now if only they could do something with the exterior of the library. I was trying to figure out what it reminds me of and then it came to me in a flash - a sticklebrick! Ugly ugly building.

If they fix that, open the new building, get rid of the prefabs and tidy the place up it would be quite an improvment.

Then there is that awful awful roof on the corridor by the SU. :eek:

RonMexico wrote: »
    Then there is that awful awful roof on the corridor by the SU. :eek:

That new coat of paint only highlighted just how bad the ceiling really is! :D

Yes, the new coat of paint cetainly did wonders over there, but the roof has to go. One year I saw a plant growing down through the roof into the hall. It was actually disgraceful. I laughed, then I took a photo.

Lets be honest here for a minute - we are talking about one of the busiest corridors on campus and the "roof" is actually the kind you would find on an old garden shed.

There is thick green sludge growing on it. :D

I bet the Erasmus and American students are highly impressed :pac:

I'm sure they go home to their families and speak in whispers of the hallowed, mouldy halls of Mary Immaculate College. :p

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I'm sure they go home to their families and speak in whispers of the hallowed, mouldy halls of Mary Immaculate College. :p
    Look at it this way, UL has got the Living Bridge, Mary I has the Living Roof!:D

Having attended other colleges and studied abroad I have to say despite some of the faults evident in Mary I (mostly due to funding) the college is GREAT.

1: The size is a bonus in my opinion - in large universities you are just a number in a very large crowd. There is a much friendlier atmosphere in Mary I.

2: Having spent a considerable amount of time getting soaked to the skin walking around U.L. in the middle of winter I am glad that I can get around Mary I quickly and generally unscathed by our cruel weather. :D

3: Smaller groups usually means that you get to know the lecturers and tutors which is important if you have a problem and need help. They are all usually very accommodating.

4: Forget The Stables - You can't beat the pint of Guinness in Fenesseys.

5: Last but not least - you are surrounded by gorgeous wimminz :pac:

Forget The Stables - You can't beat the pint of Guinness in Fenesseys.

That is a fact, one of the best, if not the best pints in Limerick.

• Advertisement

Am I the only one here who reads the Daily Bitch about U.L. thread and afterwards thanks the gods that I am in Mary I ? :D

Would a daily bitch about Mary I thread have so many problems ??

Advertisement