Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 Cooking Club Week 41: Simple Lemon Drizzle Cake

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Made this today - have been eyeing it for a while and finally got around to it. SO good!!! I fear it's not going to last 24 hours.
    I'm curious about the method of adding a tablespoon of egg/flour at a time - does it make the cake lighter or what is the reason for doing it this way?
    It worked really well anyway, will definitely be making this one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I made a mess of this first time round, so delighted to say I have had another go today with majorly tasty success. Thanks OP.

153088.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Screw you! :pac:

Ok, I re-made it. And I did as I was told this time. And it was perfect.

9ksbw0.jpg

2czzjiq.jpg

The only thing I did differently was not put the zest on top. I put all of the zest into the cake itself to have just a smooth syrup on top.

Now we're talking! That looks great!:D Think i might make it myself this weekend....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

jw297 wrote: »
    Made this today - have been eyeing it for a while and finally got around to it. SO good!!! I fear it's not going to last 24 hours.
    I'm curious about the method of adding a tablespoon of egg/flour at a time - does it make the cake lighter or what is the reason for doing it this way?
    It worked really well anyway, will definitely be making this one again.

I believe it just incorporates the ingredients better, say if you were to add all the flour at once it would make the batter quite stiff before you added the eggs. Doing it one by one keeps the batter at a nice consistency to help rising and fluffyness :P

Your second attempt looks fantastic neuro-praxis. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

I finally got around to making this today - my Dad is a fan of all things lemony so I'm bringing it over to him for a treat. I didn't have a square tin so I made it in an 8" round - then trimmed the edges and ate them myself! Nyom! Great recipe!

092C7BCBA76D448196392EBABEBBB331-0000341389-0002380707-00500L-8FEE5DFF9BE14FD7BEF15EF981EB1C72.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks, looks fanatic hope ye' enjoy it :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I was looking for something simple but tasty to make so I gave this an attempt tonight and it is absolutely gorgeous!! It's yummy. Thanks OP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Just wanted to say thanks for the recipe. I've made these a few times (once with wholemeal Spelt, worked very well) and they always are lovely and simple.

It's my parents favorite cake and I would normally make them the Nigal Slater version but for me I prefare this one as it not so indulgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

I made this over the weekend and it didnt last any length it was so good! This is a keeper :D
    Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Just made this again. Nyom. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

It's in the oven now. I accidently put granulated sugar with the zest of the second lemon. Ooops, I hope thats ok.

I used a baking tray that is too big and I think it will come out flat, I hope it rises a small bit. I also used one of those rubber baking trays, if that's ok.

Will take pics later :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyscience

I just made it and it was so easy!!! I didnt have 2 eggs but had 4 egg yolks from meringues I made yesterday and I also added a lime to the mix. Tastes heavenly, ill have to go back for more in a minute.
    Great recipe, thank you!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

i'm gonna make this puppy later. Love lemon cake.

Edit: It has been made. Unbelievable.
    1z56csn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

Do you have any idea this would keep for in an airtight container.. I have a christening next weekend but can only bake on Wed night - do you think it would keep till Sat?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made this last week, and it was fab!!

Kdylass wrote: »
    Do you have any idea this would keep for in an airtight container.. I have a christening next weekend but can only bake on Wed night - do you think it would keep till Sat?

That should be fine, but I would hold off on doing the syrup part until as close to the day as possible....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Didn't have a lemon handy, but had some lemon juice, so no rind.
    I would have liked a firmer texture, but v. nice nonetheless.
    It lasted all of a half hour (I shared some of it)

LemonDrizzle.bmp

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pimlico

Made these a few times, a couple of my friends now won't let me in their house unless I come armed with some of theses :) Totally yummy!

7B1445A10985431E83A9CD4F334B7FAC-0000347633-0002607059-00500L-B956732F1F4D4BDBAEB22D2FEB2A622B.jpg

Finally got round to making this tonight with my new Kenwood Chef! DIVINE and sooo simple!!

Made this again on Sunday night - NYOM NYOM! It was even nicer this time! My brother, who isn't living at home anymore, came for a visit on Monday and there was some left - when I came home from town it was gone! He had scoffed the lot!:D Great recipe Combat Cow - will be making it again soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I've made this, I don't know how many times. It is amazing and such a nice, simple recipe. It goes down a treat in this house. I was asked to make one for a birthday cake for my Brother in Law, so I did. But I made 2, layered them, and covered with a messy lemon butter icing. Oh. My. God. Amazing!!!

Lemon_cake.jpg

Lemon_d.jpg

looks excellent :D

I made one for a birthday cake and split it in two and sandwiched some lemon curd and whipped cream in between....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

made this yesterday.

it was very crumbly, so am not going to post a photo :o

it wasnt to my taste but everyone else liked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Wow, this cake is unreal! Noms of approval all round in my house, will be made again for sure! Thanks OP! :D

IMAG0251.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Made this today, turned out lovely, really light and fluffy.

Mine got a bit over cooked on the outside, which was a shame, but it didn't affect the taste much.

Instead of drizzling lemon on the cooked cake, I waited until the cake was almost cool, and sprinkled some icing sugar on top.

Thanks for the recipe OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

Made this this afternoon - beautiful soft texture and a really lovely lemon flavour! It won't last long!

8457872987_dd390edac2_z.jpg

I halved the quantities and made it in a 1lb loaf tin, and it fit perfectly. It took the full half hour to bake though, despite being half the quantity, I guess because it was deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Made a double batch this morning. Thanks for the recipe. It is so easy and such a lovely texture when baked.
    Heading to the beach later and will bring a picnic so it will be devoured with flasks of tea and coffee. Smells yummy. Looking forward to eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭swine

Finally got around to making this today, and it was delicious. I used a loaf tin and it took close to 45 mins at 160c (fan oven) before a skewer came out clean.

Thanks CombatCow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

This is in the oven right now - hoping my dad likes it after his Sunday roast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Great recipe. Thank you.
    ChewChew wrote: »
    I've made this, I don't know how many times. It is amazing and such a nice, simple recipe. It goes down a treat in this house. I was asked to make one for a birthday cake for my Brother in Law, so I did. But I made 2, layered them, and covered with a messy lemon butter icing. Oh. My. God. Amazing!!!

What ratio of ingredients did you use in the icing?

Advertisement