Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pirate TV

• 13-04-2006 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any schedules or remember what they looked like etc.?

Who was behind them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There was one nearby in the 80's and probably first half of the 90's, though we couldn't pick it up where we live. So I don't know about proper schedules or what it looked like. But off the top of my head I do remember that it did show some Sky Movies, The Simpsons from Sky One and some adult stuff late at night. I think it showed some of the bigger sports events too. Who knows what else.

It was run by the father of a classmate, both of whom do NTL and Sky installations now ;)

I suppose I did end up being sort of involved in a roundabout fashion. I was one of only 2 people I know of with any kind of computer in a fairly wide area at the time. The guy running it and my father know each other from way back so my Commodore 64 was used to make a couple of tape loops for onscreen messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There was one in the North Sea (allegedly in International waters) off the Dutch coast. Radio TV Nordsee?

The Dutch took exception and boarded it and allegedly used axes etc to break up the gear.

I used to listen to the Radio version in late 1960s early or 1970. I had last evening of Radio Caroline on Reel to Reel tape for many years, from I don't know 1968 or 1970?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Suppose I lived in a small estate of maybe 20 houses.... Y'know those video senders, well allegedly their signal can travel a little. If you could boost the signal a bit on one of those, hook it up to a PC and relay video from there, you could have your own little community channel... totally illegal probably!!

How would you go about boosting the signal strength on one of them?

MJ

Lets not discuss that. Very illegal.

However stick it in a weather proof box on your chimney and anyone in street front or back can pick it up at the window.

I have "tested" video sender on 5km link using a pair of MMDS dishes instead of the built in dielectric plate aerial. No signal "boosting" involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Lets not talk about it then :)

MJ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

There seems to be a lot of confusion between TV deflectors (relays of terrestrial/satellite signals from outside the Republic) and actual pirate TV (granted up until a few years ago there was no difference from a legal point of view)

Pirate TV stations in Ireland have been rare shortlived affairs the most well known examples have been Nova TV and Channel D both from Dublin and Telefis na Gaeltacht (not to be confused with its legal successor) in Connemara. Also Boyneside TV in Drogheda. There have been unconfirmed reports of stations in other parts of Ireland (and even one in NI) at various times but I suspect most of these were either experimental opt out programmes on deflectors or enthusiastes paying around with "souped up" videosenders (The illegal UHF variety)
    There was one in the North Sea (allegedly in International waters) off the Dutch coast. Radio TV Nordsee
    There have been a few off Israel too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Elmo wrote:
    Anyone have any schedules or remember what they looked like etc.?

Who was behind them?
    Back in 82/83 Radio Nova started broadcasting a testcard in advance of their planned TV service.

They were raided about two weeks later and shut down completely on radio too.

Many see that incident as the turning point for the mass closedown of pirates in Ireland. It's easy to underestimate the massive influence of the pirates in the early 80's and some of the huge corporate advertising accounts they had . I dug out an old tape of Radio Sunshine and they were playing adverts for Maxwell House coffee, Superquinn, etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭medja

LTV has been going in the mid-cork area since 1983, It only broadcast it's own programmes at first and it started relaying HTV when it wasn't on air around 1985.

In the early days it went out on wednesday nights at 9.25, with a farming programme, mart prices, a music show and usually some GAA game.

This went on for years, it closed at the end of 1988 when the Pirate radio stations closed. But it was back on by 1990.

Over the years it's had chat shows, Quiz shows, a Drama series, Plays and it's covered all types of local events.

It's still on with 4 hours of programmes every Wednesday night, I think 2 hours are from millstreet and the other two come from macroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Antenna

Telefis na Gaeltacht (not to be confused with its legal successor) in Connemara

What technical set-up was this does anyone know? Did it operate on VHF or UHF (probably the latter if there had been a UHF 'deflector' in that area, and the T. na Gaeltacht transmitter probably located near the deflector - taking advantage of UHF receive aerials at homes being in the exact direction! ?)

I vaguely recall reading that the transmitter was mobile and operated from a jeep that had to be driven up mountains to transmit the programmes?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BHG

see http://www.rte.ie/radio1/flux/1093389.html

does LTV = Dan Joe Kelleher Macroom, Co. Cork

for a radio show, flux got two good photos..... I bet RTE wouldn't go near him in the 80's. saw a recording of channel D once.... the anorak show on Coast 103 (now phantom,,,) has a tape of it. it wud be gud 4 me flash box (now bebo tv) on me home page....

• Advertisement

Thanks for that link BHG.

A few years ago I walked up to the top of Musherabeg Mountain (one of the mountains between Millstreet and Macroom) and interesting to see there the remains of a huge UHF receiving dish that people behind LTV erected over 25 years ago to receive UK TV from Cornwall. From the bits left on the ground it must have been about 10 metres in diameter?

This setup got a front page report in the 'Corkman' weekly newspaper of around 1980 which I accidentlly came across when researching something else some years ago! (though no pictures of the dish). Reception was described as being "in full colour"

Highly unlikely but has anyone got any photos of this dish when it was erected?

Any idea what reception of the Cornish signals was like in Co Cork ?

Im imagining it was pretty bad given all the trouble SCTV went to relaying a Welsh signal (Complete with S4C instead of English C4) from the Comeragh mountains ?

Any idea what reception of the Cornish signals was like in Co Cork ?

Im imagining it was pretty bad given all the trouble SCTV went to relaying a Welsh signal (Complete with S4C instead of English C4) from the Comeragh mountains ?

I am told the people behind the Cork cable company told newspapers prior to launching in 1982 that they had investigated reception from the Cornish transmitter (that being Caradon Hill) as a source but said reception would not be of an acceptable quality all year round, this in response to compaints they would be carrying Welsh programming!. Incidentally I recall a few years ago talking to a landowner on the high ground just east of Cork airport who recalled people doing UK TV signal testing on their land about 30 years ago (for possible cable TV). BTW I think that Cornish transmitter has a 'null' in our direction nowadays, very little signal from it during 'high pressure' unlike the situation years ago.

What became 'South Coast' originally started in 1985 at the time serving Carrigaline and nearby areas, initially using another deflector that had been established by a Mitchelstown TV dealer in the nearby (to Mitchelstown) Galtee Mountains (at Knockeenatoung) as their signal source. The Galtee deflector directly serviced North East Cork and a bit of South Tipperary
    A major dispute arose, the man behind the Mitchelstown service, a Mr Hyland, claimed that his service was likely to be shut down on account of it being used as the signal source for the Carrigaline deflector which was serving an area that was being cabled. He tried reducing the power in an attempt to inhibit the Carrigaline service using it. The Galtee deflector was raided and after some time came back providing just one channel (BBC1) for a while - I recall this at a relation's house that received it.
    The Carrigaline group set up another deflector on the Comeragh (or more correctly Monavullagh) mountains in Co. Waterford which beamed into Co. Cork (which also fed Carrigaline). Reception very good there (almost a line of sight path to the Welsh transmitter) though this deflector initially had to be low power running on lead-acid batteries which had to be changed every so often (by volunteers walking up the almost 2000 ft mountain) before a long underground power cable was installed!

The Carrigaline group claimed they only came into operation in 1985 after the Cork cable company abandoned plans to cable Carrigaline, and that after the deflector came into being the cable company did a U-turn and proceeded to cable Carrigaline! Due to the strong support for the Carrigaline 'deflector' service, only a small part of Carrigaline was ever cabled.
    The deflector service spread westwards on to other towns, Kinsale, Bandon, etc, and after some years even spreading as far as Bantry

Facinating history Antenna. didnt know there was cable in Carrigaline at all. Paid a visit to the place about seven years ago and most houses seemed to be using UHF with a handful on MMDS.

I remember hearing that Cork cable when they started were feading the city from a headend someplace well outside the city (cant remember where exactly) and the coaxial cable used for this was the longest of its type in Europe.

Wonder why they (the cable crowd) didnt use Wales AND Cornwall (Many of Dublins early cable networks carried UTV and HTV)

Also any idea where/how did Westward (Limerick) cable manage to get (rather dreadful) NI signals in its early days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Enjoyed that Flux documentary on Radio 1 when it was broadcast, especially when he mentioned that they were initially retransmitting EWTN (one-eyed nun brigade) but switched over to BBC following complaints from the locals!

Some pics of the transmitting site and equipment in Millstreet:
    http://www.millstreet.ie/ltv2_millstreet.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Those who receive the very well established Knocknagree signal (on UHF) will receive it on Channel 4 as the Local Television is timed to log into that channel for an hour on Thursdays and for a further hour on Sundays. No need to tune such sets as it will automatically appear on the Channel 4 section of the Knocknagree service every Thursday at 10.00 p.m. and revert back to Channel 4 at 11.00 p.m.

Call me stupid but is breaking into a signal for 'local' telly legal?

Mike.

didnt know there was cable in Carrigaline at all. Paid a visit to the place about seven years ago and most houses seemed to be using UHF with a handful on MMDS.

Its only a tiny bit of the town on the Cork city side (from where the cable was run out from) that was cabled. I know a housing estate there called 'Endsleigh' was cabled, but little else I'd say. I'd imagine plans to cable to whole town had to be abandonded way back then due to the support for what is now South Coast.
    I'l start another thread here about other issues you mention soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Also any idea where/how did Westward (Limerick) cable manage to get (rather dreadful) NI signals in its early days ?
    I believe that Watty has mentioned before that there was a 16 aerial array on a mountainside aimed at Brougher Mountain for this purpouse (now no longer used)?

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Well the Signal itself is a rebeam of Ch4. Now that rebeam of Ch4 may not be licenced at all so the real question is.... Do two wrongs make a right?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Northern Correspondent:
    Keeper Hill was, and still is the place. It isn't exactly close to Limerick City. I don't know how or if the 'cable' still operates. I do remember newspaper stories about people being prosecuted. The cable was overground and easily tampered with.
    The MMDS Transmitter is still there run by Chorus. MMDS must be coming from there about 20 years now.

I will have to dig out a map for exact figures on it's location.

Data about Keeper is here, take a look: http://mountainviews.ie/mv/index.php?mtnindex=117

On this webpage, one of the pictures shows the mast etc.

On that picture - on the far left is one array (8 over 8) pointing to Brogher, to its right then is another array (8 over 8 again) pointing at Divis (I presume was a backup).

I would imagine the cable run to Limerick city was discontinued when MMDS started from here, as the cable system could then receive the MMDS in Limerick itself.

At some stage in the 1990s, they transferred to a receive point much nearer NI, and microwave linked down, and so those UHF arrays fell into disrepair (not even used as backup). The microwave link network from this main receive point fed MMDS and cable in much of the country.

I was at Keeper some years ago and saw those arrays - but were in a poor state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Antenna,
    Thanks for the info.

I know it is a while ago now but I am sure we were once told there were 'icing' problems putting the service out of action. Long time ago. :D

Getting back to pirate TV heres an interesting article on how they do it in Italy

Antenna wrote:
    Data about Keeper is here, take a look: http://mountainviews.ie/mv/index.php?mtnindex=117

On this webpage, one of the pictures shows the mast etc.

<snip>
    At some stage in the 1990s, they transferred to a receive point much nearer NI, and microwave linked down, and so those UHF arrays fell into disrepair (not even used as backup).

I was at Keeper some years ago and saw those arrays - but were in a poor state.

I was in the equipment house at keeper last year and saw the microwave gear with links from Cavan. All Analogue TV.

The two aerial arrays are rusty twisted wreaks no doubt from ice & snow, the snow in winter reachs the height of the fence.

Keeper is really far from Limerick City, hence all Wireless services for the city nowadays (TV, Broadband, MMDS etc) use Woodcock Hill, though the Amateur radio repeaters are Tountenna Co. Tipperary near Killaloe and Knockfearna near Ballingarry/Croom Co. Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Not really that "historical", but a few years ago (around 1999/2000 methinks) Radio Limerick One (who lost their license many moons ago and are still somehow running to this day) ran a pirate station called RLO TV. Can't remember how long it went on for, but it was a good while - possibly months.

Don't know where it was transmitting from - I assume somewhere in the city centre. I was able to get a watchable signal from near Greystones/Clareview with rabbit ears. Most of the day they just relayed channel 5 (probably got it free off Astra 1 - back when analogue satellite still existed ;) ), but in the afternoons they'd show some local sports and some rather crappy looking studio broadcasts of their radio shows (with that Gerry twat that people would phone in talking shyte). Dunno how they got all the equipment for this - they had a half-decent looking DOG and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

was just tuning in my tv with rabbit ears in greystones and i'm getting phantom about 2 thirds of the way through the VL band (on TV).

Was listening for about ten minutes - fuzzy screen (No pics etc) but perfect sound - could hear "this is phantom fm 105.2 on a test transmission"

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

was just tuning in my tv with rabbit ears in greystones and i'm getting phantom about 2 thirds of the way through the VL band (on TV).

Was listening for about ten minutes - fuzzy screen (No pics etc) but perfect sound - could hear "this is phantom fm 105.2 on a test transmission"
    Did you need to post this twice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

Maybe I did

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.
    I know the man who operates that system very well and have visited it a couple of times.

This is how it works:
    Signals for BBC1 , BBC2 ITV1 and Channel 4 are sourced up in Carraganes, Ballydesmond.
    They are sent through a tuner and 2 amps for each channel. This is piped from the garden shed up the side of a tall tree to a UHF aerial. This beams these south over Boherbue, Kiskeam, and Ballydesmond. An antenna in Tureenglanahee(between Ballydesmond and Knocknagree) picks up these on Channel 39, 42,45 and 51 and rebroadcasts them on 23,26,30 and 33 to the villages of Knocknagree and Rathmore. There is also a computer at the Tureen transmitter which broadcasts "We wantyour money" messages and switches over to LTV2 on Thursdays and Sundays.

Hope this Helps :)

Advertisement