Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2015 Cooking Club Week 25: Cappuccino Squares

• 20-08-2015 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Hope you like this, the recipe below is the original but I make some changes so its up to yourselves how ye go about it. Its a very simple one to make, basically throw everything in the bowl and away you go.

I use Irel coffee, rather than coffee powder and use more than the below as I love coffee cake. I couldn't get golden caster sugar so used light golden brown sugar and it tasted fab. I cut it and took the photos too soon as you will see they are falling over they were so fresh!

Ingredients:
    225g self-raising flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp cocoa powder plus extra for dusting
    225g softened plus extra for greasing
    225g golden caster sugar
    4 eggs, beaten
    3 tbsp coffee powder dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water

For the frosting:
    100g white chocolate broken into pieces
    50g butter, softened
    3tbsp milk
    150g icing sugar

Method:
    1-Lightly grease and baseline a shallow 11"x7" cake tin

2-Sift the flour, baking powder & cocoa into a bowl and add the butter, caster sugar, eggs & coffee. Beat well, scrap down the sides and beat again until smooth.

3-Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.

IMAG1283_zpswycfcunw.jpg

4-Bake in a preheated oven, 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4, for 30-35 minutes or until well risen and firm to the touch. Turn out onto a wire rack and let cool completely.

5-To make the frosting,place the chocolate, butter & milk in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until all ingredients are melted and combined. Remove the bowl from the pan and sift in the icing sugar. Beat until smooth and spread over the cake (I trimmed the edges first as they were a little hard. Dust with cocoa powder and cut into squares.

IMAG1286_zpsaktm26ei.jpg

IMAG1288_zpseqzcezwa.jpg

IMAG1291_zpsmdbxekl0.jpg

6-Enjoy :D

IMAG1293_zpsbgvbu1j7.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They look delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I need these

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I LOVE coffee cake! Must try this soon, they look delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

toadfly wrote: »
    I trimmed the edges first as they were a little hard.

:p:p Cooks treat!! :p:p

I love coffee cake but never make it. When using the Irel Coffee instead of dissolving granules how much do you use please?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Is Irel the coffee essence? Can you get it easily?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

jordata wrote: »
    :p:p Cooks treat!! :p:p

I love coffee cake but never make it. When using the Irel Coffee instead of dissolving granules how much do you use please?

I used 4 tabelspoons but if you arent as keen on a strong flavour, use 2!
    Is Irel the coffee essence? Can you get it easily?

Yes, its in a glass bottle with a red and green label. You can get it in any of the supermarkets, think I got it in Supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Could you use actual coffee? And how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Coffee powder? Yes see original recipe

3 tbsp coffee powder dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Looks really nice will have to try

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

Made these today. Really easy and fabulous texture. I also use the Irel essence but used two and a bit tablespoons based on earlier comments. Would recommend the 4 tblsp as there is no real coffee taste with just the 2. Thanks OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Made this during the week, but in loaf tins as I didn't have a big and deep enough tin. Worked out really well, lovely moist cake and the icing was a bit different. Will definitely make it again, thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 scorpio.045

These little cakes were amazing, thank you

Advertisement