Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which distribution for a newbie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

My main machine is 8 years old ..... but it has a 4 core processor and 4GB RAM.

Without knowing the hardware you mean it is not possible to be definite.

So the answer is probably .... but dependent on hardware present.

The same applies to a multitude of 'lightweight' distros.

There is always the likes of Puppy Linux which should run on the most frugal hardware.

Yeah I sort of guessed that, but trying to get my dad to tell me is like pulling teeth. I do know that his PC would have been cheapest spec available at that time, from a main retailer somewhere or another, which certainly wouldn't put it in same league as your machine. He's a cranky 71 year old who has no interest in telling me about it other than its very slow!

I'll wait until I get it, just looking forward to tinkering already. Cheers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Inheriting an old PC (7 or 8 years old I think) from my dad, hes not able to tell me specs and the like but just that its very slow! I think its on Windows XP.
    A low spec machine will run XP better than ?ubuntu

A high spec XP machine would be grand with lubuntu depending on what apps you want to run

puppylinux is ideal for older PC's

don't forget you can try a live CD to see how well it would work, ignore any time spent accessing the CD - that doesn't count as it will always be slower , just see how fast it is when not accessing the CD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

A low spec machine will run XP better than ?ubuntu

A high spec XP machine would be grand with lubuntu depending on what apps you want to run

don't forget you can try a live CD to see how well it would work, ignore any time spent accessing the CD - that doesn't count as it will always be slower , just see how fast it is when not accessing the CD

Cheers for further advice, particularly as haven't given any of you anything to go on. I'll post up the results of my trial and error if and when my dad actually gives me the computer, could be a while!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

....but not for dads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Khannie wrote: »
    ....but not for dads.

For Dads, there is Taylor Swift Linux

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

syklops wrote: »

I seriously thought you were taking the píss until I followed the link. Microsoft should make a Dr. Who Distro. Hoovers up all your data and transplants it somewhere else in the space time continuum.

My preference is still Linux Mint, but I'm running a Fedora 20 and RHEL v6 VM on the same machine, not all at the same time of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

*enters thread for first time as thinking about trying out Linux*

*slowly back out not making any sudden movements*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Hannah Montana Linux or the North Korean Red Star OS

hannah-montana-linux-1-large.jpg

puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Red_Star_OS_bootsplash_cut.png

http://www.openingupnorthkorea.com/downloads-2

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Hannah Montana Linux

Oh Dear God. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 thiagoborn

Why not Ubuntu? Ubuntu is very easy to install and use.

Easier - Ubuntu ( for new machine) .
    Easy- Mint for old machine.

Difficult - Gentoo, Arch, Slackware (I really like Slackware), Debian.

If you need some help give me a shout.

• Advertisement

thiagoborn wrote: »
    Why not Ubuntu? Ubuntu is very easy to install and use.

Easier - Ubuntu ( for new machine) .
    Easy- Mint for old machine.

Difficult - Gentoo, Arch, Slackware (I really like Slackware), Debian.

If you need some help give me a shout.

I suppose it depends what your motivation is, but id recommend against Ubuntu because its so easy to install and use. Next, next, next, finish. And you have a working system.

I've worked with people who were given a job to do on a Linux machine and when asked about the experience with linux have said "I've played around with Ubuntu". Meaning they installed it and it worked. Never seen a text editor and no experience of reading seemingly cryptic errors. A black shell window intimidates them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I suppose it depends what your motivation is, but id recommend against Ubuntu because its so easy to install and use. Next, next, next, finish. And you have a working system.

I've worked with people who were given a job to do on a Linux machine and when asked about the experience with linux have said "I've played around with Ubuntu". Meaning they installed it and it worked. Never seen a text editor and no experience of reading seemingly cryptic errors. A black shell window intimidates them.
    That's a bit of an elitist opinion. This thread is about distributions for new inexperienced people looking to start somewhere with Linux. Ubuntu is in my opinion ideal for this purpose. Why would you start somebody new off on a distribution which requires lengthy setup or configuration? Have them spend a day, weekend or even a week just setting up their computer and lose all motivation or interest in Linux and end up going back to OS X, which just works, or Windows which they've used their whole life and are able to do what they want with it.

I've recently gotten a new laptop and the first thing I went to do was put a Linux distribution on it. I tried quite a number of distributions but in the end decided on Ubuntu. In 2 hours I was dual-booting Windows and Ubuntu with all the software I needed installed and everything working (except hibernation but that didn't work on anything I tried even with tuxonice). With every other distribution there were extra issues I needed to overcome before I could properly use it but why should I bother spending hours to fix something when I can use Ubuntu and (most) everything just works?

Ubuntu is not without its flaws just like any operating system but for new people and introducing them to Linux I can't see how its a bad thing.

Thats why I said it depends on your motivation. If you want a working system, use Ubuntu. If you want to learn how to use and even fix the operating system, use something else. Maybe Debian.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Distro hopping is good for the soul .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Anyone try out Chromixium ?

chromixium-applications-menu.png?w=1000&h=&crop=1

angry-birds-app-mode.png?w=1000&h=&crop=1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Looks like a nice little distro. I might give it a try this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Anyone try out Chromixium ?

Yes.
    Loving it on my Chromebook C720 with the BIOS flashed to load linux from disk!

Got around to installing last night and it went well (seeing as I'm quadruple booting!). It even fixed my Linux Mint problem, ie. after a hardware upgrade and an XP/Vista hiccup I lost the ability to boot it.

Seems like an interesting distro, haven't tinkered with it enough yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hey lads. I have an old Toshiba laptop from 2009 (an AMD 64 bit machine with 4gbs of ram) that I had thrown a Windows 8 Evaluation copy onto after I had bought a newer PC. I now have a MAC but was over at the parents during the weekend and thought it might not be a bad idea to clear the old laptop down and whip a lightweight OS onto it as someone could make some use of it.

Now, the thing was creaking a bit running the Windows 8 evaluation so I was thinking Lubuntu as the way to go. Any better suggestions?

The Windows 8 Evaluation version locks down the CD / DVD drive but I assume if I throw 14.04 .iso file onto a blank CD and power up the machine it should give me the option to boot from it before starting Windows?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 thiagoborn

You can try a DVD or CDROM, or a USB bootable. First You need to go to CMOS setup and set the primary boot device to CDROM/DVD or USB.
    I think Linux Mint is a good option for lightweight operating system. I installed on a HP dv-2000 with similar specs. Mint gave extra life to this old laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hey all,

So I've been thinking of trying out "this Linux stuff" - again! :) - and am wondering what the best option is for someone who has used and supported Windows-based stuff for all of his adult/working career, and now manages the guys that do that, but still likes to be involved in the hands-on stuff too.

I've played with Linux a few times over the years briefly but always felt that it was a step backwards - not to mention the confusing mess that was/is? the various flavours and add-ons. Plus I've always found myself working in Windows environments so no exposure there. I'm currently running Win 8.1 with a proper start menu :P and all the "Modern"/Metro stuff turned off and there's no issues with it, but I've also been playing with Win 10 since the first Tech Preview came out and I'm not convinced by the future it wants to lead me on.

From a personal usage point of view my DELL E7450 laptop is connected to my home Windows Server domain and used mostly for Internet (including too much time on this site! :p), Email/Office 365, and some light Steam-based games. Browser of choice is Chrome, mostly for the syncing and plug-in support.

So what would ye recommend as a way to ease myself into the world of modern Linux? - either as a full install (I have another older E6410 that I could use) or maybe in a VM initially, that would still allow me to do the things I do now while learning at the same time. I don't want it so dumbed down (like newer versions of Windows have become) that getting stuff done is more an annoyance than anything, but I don't want to have to spend my nights in a command line either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Hey all,

So I've been thinking of trying out "this Linux stuff" - again! :) - and am wondering what the best option is for someone who has used and supported Windows-based stuff for all of his adult/working career, and now manages the guys that do that, but still likes to be involved in the hands-on stuff too.

I've played with Linux a few times over the years briefly but always felt that it was a step backwards - not to mention the confusing mess that was/is? the various flavours and add-ons. Plus I've always found myself working in Windows environments so no exposure there. I'm currently running Win 8.1 with a proper start menu :P and all the "Modern"/Metro stuff turned off and there's no issues with it, but I've also been playing with Win 10 since the first Tech Preview came out and I'm not convinced by the future it wants to lead me on.

From a personal usage point of view my DELL E7450 laptop is connected to my home Windows Server domain and used mostly for Internet (including too much time on this site! :p), Email/Office 365, and some light Steam-based games. Browser of choice is Chrome, mostly for the syncing and plug-in support.

So what would ye recommend as a way to ease myself into the world of modern Linux? - either as a full install (I have another older E6410 that I could use) or maybe in a VM initially, that would still allow me to do the things I do now while learning at the same time. I don't want it so dumbed down (like newer versions of Windows have become) that getting stuff done is more an annoyance than anything, but I don't want to have to spend my nights in a command line either :)

I might be mis-judging based on this post, but I suspect you will be in for some disappointments.
    Linux, not being Windows, does not work at all in the same manner.
    It requires commitment and effort to learn a new way of doing things.
    There is no way you should expect to do your present tasks in Linux before you become familiar and comfortable with how things are done.

I don't want to sound negative, but I do hope you can be realistic in your expectations ;)

My suggestion would be to look at the top 15 or 20 distros, download them, and use each for a few days or more. Use their specific forums for support when you have questions to be answered.

There is no reason you could not have 10 or 20 VMs created and boot into one or two as time allows.

This sort of research will pay dividends if you go this route.

On the other hand just d/load the following and set up a VM for each

openSuse
    Fedora
    Ubuntu
    Mint
    PCLinuxOS
    Mageia
    Puppy
    Manjaro

There should be a good cross-section there to play with.

Another one I happened upon today: X Distro

It's @ V1.0 atm
    X Distro is a worldwide effort and initiative by Tech Distro that promotes the use of Linux everywhere. Linux creates one of the world’s best Operating System, working together in an open, transparent and friendly manner as part of the worldwide Free and Open Source Software community.

Features:
    Three Elegant Desktop Gnome, Cinnamon and Unity
    No Security Issue
    Free For Home and Educational use
    Easy to Handle
    Work's out of the box
    Lite comparing to other's

X Distro is a worldwide effort and initiative by Tech Distro that promotes the use of Linux everywhere. Linux creates one of the world’s best Operating System, working together in an open, transparent and friendly manner as part of the worldwide Free and Open Source Software community.

Features:
    No Security Issue
    Easy to Handle
    Work's out of the box

Thats quite a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Features:
    No Security Issue
    Easy to Handle
    Work's out of the box
    Thats quite a claim.
    It's just a typo. It's supposed to be:
    No security, issue?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I have to say Elementary OS is the nicest looking Linux Distro I'm come across, it's so so fast and looks a lot like a Mac.

http://elementary.io/

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Hi I am a Linux newbie (had some very limited exposure at work)
    Never gave any thought to linux as home use before
    So i had a old XP machine and was verge of throwing it out.
    Then on spur of moment while reading about windows 10 on another machine I started researching linux

So it was a
    Dell optiplex GX260 (made in 2002)
    512mB RAM
    40GB HDD
    Intel® Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
    Windows XP operating system

Its now a
    Dell optiplex GX260 (made in 2002)
    2GB RAM
    40GB HDD + Secondary 300GB HDD2
    Intel® Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
    Linux mint 17.3 rose operating system
    PCI Wifi card

Not sure I used optimum distro or not
    The only thing i had to pay for was RAM (15 euros on ebay from UK) I had everything else lying around or free
    Posting it from it now. Way better and faster than what it was and fine for what I do with it.
    I mean its not a super computer or anything. Impressed by Linux and how easy it was to upgrade.
    I have very limited to exposure to Linux and never used it much before.
    Followed this guide ran into no problems.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-install-linux-mint-on-your-xp-pc/
    definitely a cheap option for old XP machines lying around
    get another couple of years out of the old dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Keplar240B wrote: »
    definitely a cheap option for old XP machines lying around
    get another couple of years out of the old dog.

..... and even better on newer hardware where it can 'stretch its legs' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Thats why I said it depends on your motivation. If you want a working system, use Ubuntu. If you want to learn how to use and even fix the operating system, use something else. Maybe Debian.

I understand what your saying to a certain degree, but I don't see why the installation process should be overtly complicated and time consuming even if your motivation is knowledge. (IMO)

What do think is best distro for knowledge?
    Arch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

SolydXK

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement