Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Julybreeze wrote: »
    I'm probably being really silly here so if you think I am tell me!

You're being silly. I would see internet dating at any age as a very sensible attempt to cut out the endless merry-go-round of trying to meet someone on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

I have a cold-flu thingy since Saturday and feel awful, bones and muscles ache and have a very sore throat. :(

Daughter is having a very hard time in school at the moment, teacher seems to have taken a huge dislike to her and is very tough on her. It was so heartbreaking to bring her back to school today after having been off since Thursday. I was so hoping that she would be happy going in this morning, but alas no.....we had tears galore yet again, with her wanting me to take her home. It was so hard to walk away, she is only 6 years old.

Huge hugs to anyone else who is having a hard time at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

online dating is quite common these days
    my uncle met my now-aunt on a dating site and they are married with kids

dont worry about it

• Julybreeze wrote: »
    I joined an online dating site last night, i've never even thought about it before but the idea just pooped into my head so I said i'd go for it with an open mind and see what happens.

Like with most things theres a big 'but'. I would love to meet someone BUT I wouldn't be entirely comfortable telling friends and family that we met through a dating site. I'm in my early 20's and I feel like it's more acceptable for the over 30's to turn to the internet for dating and that the general attitude would be why can't you just go out to the pub and meet someone like other people you age.

I use online dating - friends I know use online dating. I've had some really good experiences through there. Of course there are a few odd 'uns too, but you're going to get that everywhere you go. There's actually a pretty decent thread here, where people discuss their experiences.

If you're uncomfortable with telling people you met online - technically that's not where you met, that's where you started talking. Where you meet is wherever you organize your first date to be. The rest is just semantics.

I met my current partner on an online dating site. I was very nervous at the begining and the members of the ladies lounge encouraged me all the way along!! I am really glad that I tried it and have no problem in telling people how we met. All my friends and family are more interested in my happiness rather than how we met.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Question for ya ladies. Would it be rude of me to ask my oh's parents to get him a birthday present from his kids? It's very very unlikely that the mother will get him anything from them and I'm too broke.

Opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Jane, I hope you and your grandmother get on okay today, PM if you need a chat :)

Ivy, best of luck with the baba! Hope it all goes smoothly and mammy and baby are well :)

Sunflower, congrats on the Samaritans course!

Acoshla, hope you're feeling better today! As Honey said, some women are b*****s and revel in taking each other down to their own level. I've been there, it's not a nice place but you're so above them you can't even see them :) Focus on your work and the worthwhile people on your life, because that's all that matters in the long run.

I decided to straighten my hair this morning, instead of doing the reading for the class I have now.

Priorities....whatever :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Question for ya ladies. Would it be rude of me to ask my oh's parents to get him a birthday present from his kids? It's very very unlikely that the mother will get him anything from them and I'm too broke.

Opinions?

little kids yeah? depends on what kind of terms you are on with the parents
    are you close enough? maybe say it as a suggestion "what do you think of this idea"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Opinions?

Well if they know about your financial situation and the deal with the mother, they'll probably understand. Obviously if they're oblivious to it all, it might seem a bit strange, but not if they know what's going on.

Just my opinion anyway :)

They know the mother won't buy them anything for him. Not sure they know how broke I am. But they know I'm spending a fair amount on his birthday present and offered to help me pay for it so I'm hoping it doesn't come across as rude.

• Advertisement

They know the mother won't buy them anything for him. Not sure they know how broke I am. But they know I'm spending a fair amount on his birthday present and offered to help me pay for it so I'm hoping it doesn't come across as rude.

yea go down the "wouldnt this be a nice idea" route so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Good luck in the clinic today Ivy!

Right, today I am cleaning my house. which means I am putting away to laptop somewhere I can't find it and it can't distract me.
    I hate cleaning. Stupid dusty house.
    I want one of those hoovering robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julybreeze

ellieh1 wrote: »
    All my friends and family are more interested in my happiness rather than how we met.

This is what I needed to hear, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Acoshla, just read all that there about the b!tching on facebook. (although I'm not sure what secret groups on facebook are?)

I'd normally can't hang around big groups of women for this type of carry on. I get on better with guys or one or two girls which is weird as I post in here so much. I hope today you can see it clearly for what is was. It hurts in the moment when you find out people are b!tching about you but you know yourself that you can't control it and for me anyway it never really impacts on my life so I just leave them at it. As someone else said you can move on and do something else but they'll still be stuck being b!tches.

RE: online dating...one of my friends put me up on one last year. I know a good few people who met their now partners online. It didn't really work for me as you do have to commit to it a bit I think (and yes I get that it doesn't bode well if I can't even commit to an online thing) Just watch out for the weirdo's and feet worshipers :P

bluewolf wrote: »
    yea go down the "wouldnt this be a nice idea" route so

Rang there. Tried this approach and it worked well. His mother thought it was a great idea.

Happy with myself now !

...except I've put salad all over myself today. It just won't go in my mouth :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

hey everyone

can someone tell me, where's a good place to get reasonably priced women's combats? been looking for a while, and I just can't seem to find anything.

Links234 wrote: »
    hey everyone

can someone tell me, where's a good place to get reasonably priced women's combats? been looking for a while, and I just can't seem to find anything.

I've been looking for awhile and there doesn't seem to be any out there as they aren't in fashion ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I joined an online dating site last night, i've never even thought about it before but the idea just pooped into my head so I said i'd go for it with an open mind and see what happens.

Like with most things theres a big 'but'. I would love to meet someone BUT I wouldn't be entirely comfortable telling friends and family that we met through a dating site. I'm in my early 20's and I feel like it's more acceptable for the over 30's to turn to the internet for dating and that the general attitude would be why can't you just go out to the pub and meet someone like other people you age.

tell them he mauled you outside a supermacs at 3am like "normal" irish people get together, I wouldnt worry about it, my brief venture into online dating was fun, it just cuts through all the intitial flirting crap that goes with meeting people in pubs and clubs, and you know everyone is there for the same or similar reasons. have fun with it :)

• It's funny how meeting someone outside a pub/nightclub/fast-food place absolutely hammered is deemed socially acceptable and yet meeting online still has some stigma attached to it.

I've been looking for awhile and there doesn't seem to be any out there as they aren't in fashion ATM
    poop :(

I'll probably have to wait until I go to London so. I've got 2 really awesome pairs of combats I got last time I was there, but they're not every day wear, I'd like to get something just for regular wear.

well, good news...

I've gone and had a really wonderful weekend with my girlfriend, we really did a lot of stuff, went for a walk up a big hill, which was quite steep, on saturday, and a big long walk yesterday too. really shattered after all that, but it was amazing.

I am really making good progress with my weight loss, I'll nearly have dropped a stone since christmas :D I'm quite amazed with myself, to be honest.

and I finally have a new graphics card on the way, hurrah! I can get back to playing Skyrim and World of Warcraft and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I understand! I met my boyfriend on Boards, but very few people know that! I lied to my family and told them I met him through friends, I told my friends I met him through family.

It was just easier when we were just starting to go out without having to deal with all the judgement and questions from people. Don't think I'd really care now if they knew.

I think its just cause its such a new form of meeting partners, people don't really know how to react? If you don't feel comfortable, just don't tell them how you met.

Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    I'm using Hotmail actually. Don't really want to stop using it because it's my personal one and I've signed up for a good few sites with that one. I have another one for official stuff like for putting on my CV and for my IVNA stuff.

Jane get rid of it straight away! Everyone I know that used it has had theirs spammed or hacked or whatever! Mine did a couple of years ago, my brothers recently, my friend about a month ago everyone! Set up gmail and you get everything forwarded from your hotmail but close the account! Then you can continue to use it for the sites you've signed up to with it! It's easy to change the email address on sites anyway! It's worth it especially if you have contacts in your addresses book that are professional like college tutors/anyone you've applied to for a job etc! They'll send to everyone.

PS Hope today went/is going well for you! XX

Still very much confused over my boy but there's nothing I can do at the moment, we're on a break and it's just wait and see where we go from here when we meet up during the week! It's so hard, I miss him so much, hope he misses me too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I've not seen a good pair of combats since for about 10 years, use to love wearing them with trucker t-shirts back in the day.

Links234 wrote: »
    hey everyone

Might be worth having a look on ebay, there are quite a few for sale there.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

Im in such bad form today :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

LostGirly wrote: »
    Still very much confused over my boy but there's nothing I can do at the moment, we're on a break and it's just wait and see where we go from here when we meet up during the week! It's so hard, I miss him so much, hope he misses me too!!

I bet he does ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Posy wrote: »
    Have fun!! :D

+1!! I love 'Bottom' and 'The Young Ones' and thought 'Drop Dead Fred' was great.
    When Rik Mayall was almost killed and left with minor brain damage after that horrific quad bike accident a few years ago I was devastated!!

its amazing how watching 2 people beat the crap out of each other and sticking darts in each others eyes hasnt made me into a serial killer, its such good entertainment, ade and rick are pure genious's

i dare anyone to watch this and not at leaste smile

OBV10_01.jpg

oh, I really want this! :D

• Applied for an internship maybe 2 hours ago - interview already lined up this Wednesday.

• Advertisement

I am getting ready to go and collect my daughter from school, fingers crossed she has had a good day.

Good luck with the interview Boney.

Rainshowers: Hope you feel better soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement