Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House Powered by electric Car Battery

Options

Comments

85kWh (x3) not enough for a house's typical requirements??! :eek:
    He's got two Model S's to charge too.
    Here's the full story & here.

Assuming the $20, 000 figure is just for the battery because he also spent $20 000 on PV panels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Looks interesting but I doubt whether there'd be enough power for a house's typical requirements

its more than enough, it total over kill

but who knows maybe he has an aluminium smelter in his shed out the back

Tesla will be selling home battery backs soon, far smaller than this dude's set up of course

nokia69 wrote: »
    Tesla will be selling home battery backs soon, far smaller than this dude's set up of course

Present price to beat is €0.10 per kWh over lifespan charging at nightrate and discharging at day rate assuming they're 100% efficient or < €0.19 per kWh if you have renewables charging them and after they have paid for themselves.

Somehow I don't think they will with a 600 cycle battery.
    At current prices those replacement car batteries are $0.235 per lifetime kWh.

Present price to beat is €0.10 per kWh over lifespan charging at nightrate and discharging at day rate assuming they're 100% efficient or < €0.19 per kWh if you have renewables charging them and after they have paid for themselves.

Somehow I don't think they will with a 600 cycle battery.

their battery will last far longer than 600 cycles

Any data on that.
    Or a graph. I based that figure on 100% discharge. 60% would be more realistic I think. It's just a lithium cell.

• Advertisement

Any data on that.
    Or a graph. I based that figure on 100% discharge. 60% would be more realistic I think. It's just a lithium cell.

they will keep the cells between 20% and 80% of charge, the pack will then last for decades no problem

Hence the 60%. Decades aren't the issue I'm curious about the cycles.

Hence the 60%. Decades aren't the issue I'm curious about the cycles.

one a day I assume depending on the set up, but once they stay inside the middle 60% then the cycles don't matter

Sorry rereading that it's a little unclear.
    The $0.235 per kWh is based on a 100% discharge. So a 60% discharge is a lot more expensive per cycle.
    So say it's 1000 cycles to 60% discharge...nothing gained.

Of course the cyclelife matters, it's chemistry. Every phone, drill and portable device has a finite and deteriorating battery lifespan. The only difference in the cells beside physical appearance is Tesla use nickel cobalt aluminium instead of nickel manganese cobalt which give slightly longer lifespan, expense and explode more easily.

Sorry rereading that it's a little unclear.
    The €0.235 per kWh is based on a 100% discharge. So a 60% discharge is a lot more expensive per cycle.
    So say it's 1000 cycles to 60% discharge...nothing gained.

Of course the cyclelife matters, it's chemistry. Every phone, drill and portable device has a finite and deteriorating battery lifespan. The only difference in the cells beside physical appearance is Tesla use nickel cobalt aluminium instead of nickel manganese cobalt which give slightly longer lifespan, expense and explode more easily.

when you stay in the middle 60% the number of cycles no longer matters, the pack can be used every day and will last decades, how is that nothing gained ?

• Advertisement

Wikipedia wrote:
    Manufacturers' information implies that the life of a battery that is not abused depends upon the number of charge cycles it undergoes, specifying typical battery capacity in terms of number of cycles (e.g., capacity dropping linearly to 80% over 500 cycles), with no mention of age of the battery. Research by Professor Jeff Dahn of Dalhousie University suggests this common industry practice of merely counting cycles, ignoring the effect of age, is a poor predictor of real-world battery life.[citation needed] On average, its lifetime consists of 1000 cycles. Battery performance is rarely specified over more than 500 cycles. This means that batteries of mobile phones, or other hand-held devices in daily use, are not expected to last longer than three years.
    Link

Hardly the most authoritative source on the Tesla pack but consistent with findings of that chemistry.

If you can find any definitive data on the lifetime energy of a Tesla pack from the manufacturer to support any difference I'd love to see it.
    That combined with the promise of reducing the cell cost by 50% would almost make it competitive.

1000 cycles to 60% = 600 cycles to 100%..same difference, nothing gained.

Link

Hardly the most authoritative source on the Tesla pack but consistent with findings of that chemistry.

actually outside of Tesla Professor Jeff Dahn is one of the best public sources of information on lithium ion cells, and he claims that the Tesla batteries will last decades if they are kept in the middle 60% of the cell, watch the video below and you will understand what I'm talking about

we still don't have details on the Tesla home batteries but my guess is they will use the same or better chemistry as the model S and will have a similar BMS system

a battery pack that lasts decades is clearly better than a pack that lasts 3 years

I'm not watching a repost of a 1hr13 movie on batteries. Much as I love a good battery documentary. No thanks. I do know how to keep different chemistries healthy.

Time doesn't matter, any battery can last decades if you don't use it.
    Are you not suspicious that nobody's published lab tests?
    Obviously, nobody knows exactly how long Tesla packs will last. The math is somewhat simple, though. The full capacity of a lithium-ion battery cell should be good for 300 to 500 cycles. So if you drive a Roadster through 300 194-mile standard-mode cycles, it translates to 58,200 miles. If it’s 500 cycles, how does 97,000 miles on one set of batteries sound?

Link

So comparing apples and cooking apples you can get 87kWh (@ C100) of lead acid here with a lifetime energy cost of €0.12 per kWh (3000 cycles to 50% DOD).
    150 year old technology that and I didn't particularly shop around.

I'm not watching a repost of a 1hr13 movie on batteries. Much as I love a good battery documentary. No thanks. I do know how to keep different chemistries healthy.

Time doesn't matter, any battery can last decades if you don't use it.
    Are you not suspicious that nobody's published lab tests?

of course time matters, if you buy a battery and you want to use it everyday, then you need to know how long it will last with everyday use

BTW the roadster cells are not the same as the model S

Oops my bad I took the wrong figure ($12,000):o :
    The company recently said it would replace Model S 85-kilowatt-hour packs for $12,000, but only after eight years of ownership if they sign up upon purchase. The company is betting that battery costs will have come down considerably by then. Right now, such a battery pack is probably a $34,000 item.

Make that $0.67 per kWh
    hysteria.gif

you don't understand the point I'm making

of course time matters, if you buy a battery and you want to use it everyday, then you need to know how long it will last with everyday use

To do this you measure energy used over time & energy returned over time. Hence why the battery is rated in watt hours.
    The net energy seen by the battery gives it it's age.

Saying it will last years is just smoke & mirrors it means nothing. I guarantee you if you put a dead short across the terminals it will last minutes and if you never use it, it will last decades.

you don't understand the point I'm making

I do I just disagree, and there's no evidence to support your belief that it will last indefinitely, it won't.
    It's well engineered certainly.

I do I just disagree, and there's no evidence to support your belief that it will last indefinitely, it won't.
    It's well engineered certainly.

I never said indefinitely

I said that a Tesla model S battery pack will last for decades, if it is only cycled in the middle 60% of the battery, I posted you a video that backs up my claim, the man in the video is the same person you quoted above my post (its a long video fair enough if you don't want to watch it)

you seem to be claiming that all model S battery packs will need to be replaced after eight years, this is just not true

Teslamotors want to start selling/leasing home battery systems, if these systems only last 3 years then they won't sell many but if they last decades then Tesla will have no problem selling millions of home battery systems

The lithium ion cell will give it's maximum potential lifespan if it remains in the mid 60% that's a given and I agree. If you take one battery and cycle it every day from 80% to 20% then it will last 3 - 4 years, now take an identical battery and cycle it 80% to 60% every week it will last over20 years.

To make life a whole lot easier you can calculate it in kilo Watt hours to which the battery will only give you a limited amount before the cathode breaks down as described in your link.

I am not claiming the Model S needs to be replaced after 8 years I am saying it will need to be replaced after discharging 51 000kWh give or take.
    Which is a lot more expensive than you'd buy from the national grid or store in lead acid.

• Advertisement

I am not claiming the Model S needs to be replaced after 8 years I am saying it will need to be replaced after discharging 51 000kWh give or take.
    Which is a lot more expensive than you'd buy from the national grid or store in lead acid.

this is just wrong, the amount of kWh that gets charged and latter discharged from a lithium ion battery is not what sets its working life

The lithium ion cell will give it's maximum potential lifespan if it remains in the mid 60% that's a given and I agree. If you take one battery and cycle it every day from 80% to 20% then it will last 3 - 4 years, now take an identical battery and cycle it 80% to 60% every week it will last over20 years.

well in this case it what really matters is the battery chemistry

if you have the right cell chemistry then in both cases the batteries could last just as long, doing cycles once a day or once a week won't make a difference, and your change of 20% to 60% makes no difference, the higher voltages do more damage than the lower ones

this is just wrong, the amount of kWh that gets charged and latter discharged from a lithium ion battery is not what sets its working life

True but it's the best litmus test you will get unless you autopsy the cells.
    The lithium-ion battery works on ion movement between the positive and negative electrodes. In theory such a mechanism should work forever, but cycling, elevated temperature and aging decrease the performance over time. Since batteries are used in demanding environmental conditions, manufacturers take a conservative approach and specify the life of most Li-ion between 300 and 500 discharge/charge cycles.

Link
    well in this case it what really matters is the battery chemistry

I agree and with correct management you can get more that the manufacturer suggests, or less vice versa
    if you have the right cell chemistry then in both cases the batteries could last just as long, doing cycles once a day or once a week won't make a difference, and your change of 20% to 60% makes no difference,

Of course it does, the electron flow is caused by the chemistry inside the battery changing.
    the higher voltages do more damage than the lower ones

True and this would be reflected by only getting 300 cycles from your battery.

All that said it's too expensive per kWh produced per beer token invested to compete with it's rivals and a big pain to recycle.

SL you should watch the video I posted

its clear that you don't know what you are talking about

I'll give it 10 minutes if you can tell me "skip to whatever minutes in!"

I'll give it 10 minutes if you can tell me "skip to whatever minutes in!"

OK watch it from 34 minutes in for a while

then go to 62 minutes in and watch for a while

but you should watch the whole video its very interesting IMO

I'm a lead acid man myself. Anytime I look at lithium I take away weight and see no advantage.

better cycle life, do any lead acid batteries last for eight years with 20K cycles and still keep running

lead acid has worked well for a long time but it looks to be that Lithium ion is about to replace it for almost all applications

I got sucked in there a bit longer than 10mins...
    All that says to me is we're still learning how to make these. It's nice to see that dedication but it's not ground breaking.

The graph @ 34mins shows 500-1000 cycles: to 80% rated capacity, as is industry standard on a cycle count and fair enough that's to full discharge.
    If it gets 20000 cycles over it's lifetime that's very very impressive.

@ 1hr02 he sings the praises of lithium titanate but that's a different battery to what they're developing. Tesla packs are nickel cobalt aluminium.

He says it himself if the Coulombic efficiency is 1 then the battery will last forever. However it is not and the parasitic reactions are going to happen every time you cycle it moreso at greater depth of discharge and rate of recharge, same with all batteries.
    Thermal management is great but it's only there for fast charging, it's passive most of the time.

I'll hang about til them graphene-carbon nanotube super caps are mainstream.

Anyways it has to be cheaper than €0.09c per kWh/lifetime at today's prices to be viable to the market major. If it is, power to it.
    As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't buy a new battery without a datasheet.

• Advertisement

better cycle life, do any lead acid batteries last for eight years with 20K cycles and still keep running

lead acid has worked well for a long time but it looks to be that Lithium ion is about to replace it for almost all applications

OPzS last longer than 20 years, dunno about cycle life it's all relative, the datasheet says 8K to 20% DOD.

Lithium is better at large loads, it'd be interesting trying to tie a wind turbine to it though.
    Coulombic efficiency with lead acid is based on discharge level.

51 000kWh with an average household demand of 10kWh will last 14 years cycling daily.

Advertisement