Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning permission sought for an Aldi in Knocknacarra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I think its a much better location than the Lidl store been proposed on the Ballymoneen Road plus it'll be nice to see some development in the retail park. Hope it gets the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

'Sensible' is the first word that comes to my mind. This is the obvious commercial centre for Knocknacarra. Good place for a post office, petrol, and a fast food option too. It will be interesting to see who takes advantage of this location over the next 10 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Pity they can't put it where the Knocknacarra open air swimming pool is currently located. :D
    Joking aside, looks like a good spot for it. What an eyesore they made of that whole area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

newkie wrote: »
    'Sensible' is the first word that comes to my mind. This is the obvious commercial centre for Knocknacarra. Good place for a post office, petrol, and a fast food option too. It will be interesting to see who takes advantage of this location over the next 10 years.

'Sensible', so unlikely to be approved? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Aldi already has planning permission in Knockers, am I correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

biko wrote: »
    Found it, it's Aldi.
    The company was granted permission for a discount store and primary care centre and offices at Knocknacarra District Centre in 2009.
    http://connachttribune.ie/breaking-news/28926-aldi-submits-new-plans-for-knocknacarra-discount-store

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

biko wrote: »

Yep, that's the thread on LIDL at Ballymoneen / Western Distributor. The decision date is now blank on their planning application and still says not yet decided.

The ALDI mentioned in this thread is across from Monkey Business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Aldi should have gone ahead and built in 2009, despite the economic outlook.
    This new reduced size application suggests that this is the case.
    They could have converted the surplus space to offices/possible living accomodation subject to planning, plus they'd be mopping up even more grocery spend in the area.

• Advertisement

Planning permission granted: http://connachttribune.ie/aldi-gets-go-ahead-for-knocknacarra-store/

More "professional artwork" to be provided for the public good, at the Planners' insistence, and they are also concerned about the colour of the paving in the car-parking area.

Nothing about how pedestrians and cyclists are to traverse the Western Distributor Road to and from the premises, however. More levitation required, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Planning permission granted:

More "professional artwork" to be provided for the public good, at the Planners' insistence, and they are also concerned about the colour of the paving in the car-parking area.

Nothing about how pedestrians and cyclists are to traverse the Western Distributor Road to and from the premises, however. More levitation required, perhaps?

They'll probably traverse it in the same way they currently do. Is that by levitation?

GDSGR8 wrote: »
    They'll probably traverse it in the same way they currently do. Is that by levitation?

With trepidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

It's not a particularly difficult road to cross, and an Aldi store isn't likely to generate too many additional trips compared to existing patterns. People will most likely split their shopping between Aldi and Dunne's rather than just going to Dunne's.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Really? Where are the pedestrian crossings?

remember,
    one, look for a safe place
    two, don't hurry, stop and wait,
    three look all around and listen
    before you cross the road,
    remember,
    four, let all the traffic pass you
    five, then walking straight across you
    six, keep watching,
    thats the safe cross code!!!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Granted despite the objections from the PR arm of Musgraves RGDATA, "the group which represents small, family-owned businesses".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Does anybody know when this Aldi is due to open?

I thought I heard somebody mention January 2015, but there's not a bit of action happening on the site where it's due to go.

Anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,890 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Col200sx wrote: »

I thought I heard somebody mention January 2015, but there's not a bit of action happening on the site where it's due to go.

Anybody know?

Maybe it's going to be a pop up shop?

*gets coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Col200sx wrote: »

Anybody know?

thats the oranmore shop you have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

They are clearing the site opposite Pure Skill / Monkey Busines now. Looks like something might happen at long last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 MUFC20TIMES

They are clearing the site opposite Pure Skill / Monkey Busines now. Looks like something might happen at long last.
    it is happening I asked a builder what they were clearing it out for and he said new Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭SocialSpud

They've started digging. I personally think it's great for those of us who don't want to go into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ciaranlan

Was chatting to one of the guys working on the site. Said it should be ready by this November.

No doubt the residents of Knocknacarra can't wait to stock up on Crownfield Nougat Pillows and Tandil Ultra washing-up liquid. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

No doubt the residents of Knocknacarra can't wait to stock up on Crownfield Nougat Pillows and Tandil Ultra washing-up liquid.

Actually, as a Knocknacarra resident, I am really looking forward to being able to walk to Aldi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

No doubt the residents of Knocknacarra can't wait to stock up on Crownfield Nougat Pillows and Tandil Ultra washing-up liquid. :)

Those nugget pillows are deadly in all fairness! ;)

Advertisement