Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vostro 1700 randomly hibernating

Options
  • 05-05-2008 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭

My Vostro is just randomly hibernating, I've checked the power settings and all is in order. It's only about 3 months old. It started last night when I was watching a movie and it kept resizing the window from full-screen and today it just hebernates if left alone for a few minutes?!?:confused::confused:

I have AVG Pro and a full scan showed up nothing.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Sounds like it could be a keyboard related issue. Possiblity of it malfuctioning giving the hibernation (ie.FN+F2 or whatever) plus the minimising of windows etc. Although having said that theres numerous other things that could be causing it too.
    Have you tried a system restore to say a week ago, or try loading the system in Safe Mode and using it for an hour or two to see do the symptoms present themselves when only the bare minimum is loaded, just to rule out a hardware issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Will do majiktrip, it's grand when I'm using it constantly, typing an essay etc. but if I stand up and leave it or try using fullscreen. Pretty annoying.

System restore worked a treat.

Cheers

This is happening again :(:(

Extremely frustrating, after about 2 minutes the display goes black and I am brought to the log in screen. I have changed all the power options and none of it makes any difference.

Tried a system restore again and had no effect. I really am at the end of my tether here regarding this issue.

Any and all help extremely appreciated. :confused::confused:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929734/

I think this might be the issue. Anyone else used the fix?

• Advertisement

Argh, it's back again!

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Sorry for resurrecting the thread but it saves explaining what I've tried so far.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Sorry for resurrecting the thread but it saves explaining what I've tried so far.

Dont worry about it!
    Hve you tried a reinstall of windows? I think it's called for at this stage, remember to backup all your data as doing a reinstall will wipe your data.

Hve you tried a reinstall of windows? I think it's called for at this stage, remember to backup all your data as doing a reinstall will wipe your data.

Haven't gone as far as that yet. I wouldn't be entirely comfortable with doing it myself.

Advertisement