Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buzzards

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Birdnuts wrote: »
    That may be valid for the East and parts of the South but they are still absent or very rare West of the Shannon so caution in such areas is no harm until they get fully estaiblished.

PS: I assume we can all agree though that giving the exact location of raptor breeding and roosting sites is a big no no!!

I was also about to say the same ( been ahead of me today on this :) )
    The west hasn't much of buzzards as of yet and in places they do aren't even close what we have here in the east.
    Population here has boomed and I am seeing a lot more buzzards about than I am seeing kestrels or spars.
    As for breeding locations and nest sites. Well you'd have to e a complete d!ck to give them locations out on a public forum. On locations to trusted people only. I wouldn't expect anyone on this to give me location and I'd rather it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Invincible

Birdnuts wrote: »
    That may be valid for the East and parts of the South but they are still absent or very rare West of the Shannon so caution in such areas is no harm until they get fully estaiblished.

PS: I assume we can all agree though that giving the exact location of raptor breeding and roosting sites is a big no no!!

They're not rare west of the Shannon, I saw 4 of them while fishing last February in two different areas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Invincible wrote: »
    They're not rare west of the Shannon, I saw 4 of them while fishing last February in two different areas.

In comparison to the east and south of the country - and the north-east too, Buzzards are uncommon west of the Shannon.

That doesn't mean they aren't there though - they definitely are, and are obviously breeding there too, but since they colonised from the (north) east it stands to reason that the west would be the last part of the country colonised - and if you add in to that the fact that we get higher rainfall in the west, which is known to reduce breeding success in raptors, thats also likely to slow their colonisation and rise in numbers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Invincible wrote: »

That's good to hear but in large parts of Mayo and Roscommon they are very scarce or absent. I know though that are now small but growing populations in Sligo and and South Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Just drove past airport and in a field right beside the road was a mix of greys, rooks and magpies all sitting on fence watching two buzzards an a crow having what looked like a chat. Was pretty funny just to watch. Had a strange picture of what they were talking about but they were only a foot or two away from the crow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭blacksasha

Hi Guys. Those are 3 Pics of a Buzzard that i got with my Camera (Pics not Great, due to the Buzzard been so far away) on the 12th Feb 2013. Also it was back in that very same spot (which is at the back of my House) about 2 weeks ago again. I am just west of the Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Sunday Miscellany on RTE Radio 1 had a nice piece on Buzzards, just now.. (24 Nov. 2013)

First item in the broadcast.

The programme is available on the online RTE player/archive.

www.rte.ie/radio1/sunday-miscellany/

Today's broadcast may take a few days to show up in the listings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Nice reflection on Buzzards (by Mark Roper) in this mornings "Sunday Miscellany" RTE1 !

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭multifunction

I live in the Athenry(east Galway) area and have noticed what seems like a buzzard in a field near my house. Never seen one before but this bird has been hanging around this field more or less in the same spot for a few weeks now.There were two on one occasion. The field is about 200 hundred metres from the motorwayRang birdwatch Ireland and they reckon it was hunting for worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I live near athenry too. I saw one a few weeks ago on the old dublin road near enough to Oranmore.
    Its good to hear of a few more sightings in the area. Hopefully there will be plenty of pairs settling into this part of galway in the next few years.

Its funny to think that Buzzards do eat a good bit of worms!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Family of Buzzards (3-4), kestrals and sparrowhawks regular visitors to my garden fence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not too far from the post which started this thread - in the morning, we would have about a 50/50 chance of seeing a buzzard between ikea, the M50 and ballymun:

nice to see such a stable presence inside the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

I would say 99% from kilmacanogue to firhouse. Either at fassaroe, Sandyford or Tallaght, But every day sitting on the lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Seen one buzzard this afternoon hunting over waste ground at IKEA in Ballymun, then landed and perched among some scrub nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Mod Note: *specific location of raptors removed*

Hi Guys. I am glad to say i seen Two Buzzard's Today at the back of my Garden, as i have only seen them once this Year about a Month ago. The most unusual thing was that they were chased by a Swallow. I am Happy to know that their still around in 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

blacksasha wrote: »
    Hi Guys. I am glad to say i seen Two Buzzard's Today at the back of my Garden, as i have only seen them once this Year about a Month ago. The most unusual thing was that they were chased by a Swallow. I am Happy to know that their still around in 2015.

Its common for Swallows to harass Buzzards to get it to move on. Normally several Swallows to one Buzzard.
    This summer I've had 2 to 4 Buzzards over the house or the neighbouring fields on an almost daily basis.
    They have a distinctive call which alerts me if Im outside.

Hi Fuzzy Clam, yes it was the Call that alerted me this Evening. Its my first time to see (or know) the Swallow chasing the Buzzard, i would of thought they would be more Fearful of such a Big Bird.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

blacksasha wrote: »
    Hi Fuzzy Clam, yes it was the Call that alerted me this Evening. Its my first time to see (or know) the Swallow chasing the Buzzard, i would of thought they would be more Fearful of such a Big Bird.

Buzzards are too big and awkward in the air compared to a swallow to be able to do anything about them! So theres very little to fear on the swallows part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

No predator present in Ireland that can catch a swallow flying. Hobby which is an increasing migrant can however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

No predator present in Ireland that can catch a swallow flying. Hobby which is an increasing migrant can however.

That's my new nick as photogfapher then... I can't catch a swallow flying...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just witnessed an extraordinary site. 8 yes 8 buzzards together. All gliding high on the wind above our land.
    Never seen that before. Is this normal behavior?

Breathtaking stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Carlos Whining Bellboy

OldRio wrote: »
    Just witnessed an extraordinary site. 8 yes 8 buzzards together. All gliding high on the wind above our land.
    Never seen that before. Is this normal behavior?

Breathtaking stuff.

Yes, post breeding you will often find a couple of family groups together. Buzzards are quite gregarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

I have actually seen a male sparrowhawk take several swallows in flight in one day about 5 years ago he had it down to an art!

cd07 wrote: »
    I have actually seen a male sparrowhawk take several swallows in flight in one day about 5 years ago he had it down to an art!

I know of a site where Peregrines regularly feed on Sand Martins (I think) too -not quite Swallows, but similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

4 or 5 Swallows having a go at a Buzzard over the field opposite my house again today. Eventually the Buzzard swooped down between the trees dividing 2 fields to get away.

Someone here may know this. Do Buzzards attack the nests of Crows? There is a large wooded area behind the field behind my house and I've noticed a pair of Buzzards hanging around them recently. I'm certain there are a lot of Crows nesting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    4 or 5 Swallows having a go at a Buzzard over the field opposite my house again today. Eventually the Buzzard swooped down between the trees dividing 2 fields to get away.

Someone here may know this. Do Buzzards attack the nests of Crows? There is a large wooded area behind the field behind my house and I've noticed a pair of Buzzards hanging around them recently. I'm certain there are a lot of Crows nesting there.

Buzzards will often take young crows.

Advertisement