Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

allowing my dog off lead to okay chase-illegal?

• 31-08-2015 7:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

as part of morning walk I allow ine of my dogs offlead in the green area of an estate close by to play chase. I always pick up after they poo and offlead time is at 7am when there's little traffic amd never anyone walking by. This morning a snooty woman came out of her house and informed me that this is a private estate (??) and my dog shouldnt ne offlead and I would end up fined as she was going to report me. I explained about the poo and that my dog is under control as she has good recall but lady said you dont live in the estate. is there a law the says this? are supervised dogs never allowed offlead or is there a private estate law ?? upsetting to be confronted for no reason when we were genuinely causing no harm to anyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

seefin wrote: »
    as part of morning walk I allow ine of my dogs offlead in the green area of an estate close by to play chase. I always pick up after they poo and offlead time is at 7am when there's little traffic amd never anyone walking by. This morning a snooty woman came out of her house and informed me that this is a private estate (??) and my dog shouldnt ne offlead and I would end up fined as she was going to report me. I explained about the poo and that my dog is under control as she has good recall but lady said you dont live in the estate. is there a law the says this? are supervised dogs never allowed offlead or is there a private estate law ?? upsetting to be confronted for no reason when we were genuinely causing no harm to anyone.

Were they barking and making a racket at 7am?
    As for the legality, maybe ring the local animal shelter, the council or vets as they'd have better info on this subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Not one bark out of them. its like a silent movie with me throwing ball and ellie bringing back , repeated 50 times !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Its not illegal to have your dog off lead, once they are under effectual control. So basically once your off lead dog isn't causing a nuisance, and you can recall him back and away from any trouble, its perfectly legal to unleash him. Is it just a normal housing estate? If so theres no way its private , as in off limits to the public, it would be a public road and green area. Some estates have a private management company, but this is just for managing the upkeep of the estate, I strongly doubt "outsiders" can be denied access! I think shes chancing her arm tbh. Its upsetting to be confronted by that nonsense. Get confirmation from your local council just to be able to quote to her in case she confronts you again.

will get onto council. thanks. I think she was implying that my estate which is adjacent is a council estate in which anything goes! ! It's not council but such a snobby attitude from her

rang council and there's no problem at all once dog can be recalled. excellent!! -this was a nice level green area to play fetch. im a totally responsible dog owner and that ladies snobby unreasonable attitude realy upset me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My initial response was going to be asking if it was a private estate but at the end of the day no management company or dog warden is going to be ar$ed to start work early and come and fine you at 7:00am! What kind of dogs are they out of interest?

rang council and there's no problem at all once dog can be recalled. excellent!! -this was a nice level green area to play fetch. im a totally responsible dog owner and that ladies snobby unreasonable attitude realy upset me

Get that printed on paper so you can show her the next morning you're there. Take a pic of her reaction :)

offlead dog is collie terrier cross . I can't wait for tomorrow morning!! nasty I know but she was so up her own a** !!

What IS a private estate anyway does anyone know? a non council estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

maggiepip wrote: »
    Its not illegal to have your dog off lead, once they are under effectual control. So basically once your off lead dog isn't causing a nuisance, and you can recall him back and away from any trouble, its perfectly legal to unleash him. Is it just a normal housing estate? If so theres no way its private , as in off limits to the public, it would be a public road and green area. Some estates have a private management company, but this is just for managing the upkeep of the estate, I strongly doubt "outsiders" can be denied access! I think shes chancing her arm tbh. Its upsetting to be confronted by that nonsense. Get confirmation from your local council just to be able to quote to her in case she confronts you again.
    I actually thought it WAS illegal for a dog to be offleash in the public... good to hear it's not the case and thst the criteria is "effectual control", as I let my dog have a run around the green in my estate for a few mins before we have our walk, and have got some looks from people before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I would take pleasure in going back to that green in the morning and when she comes out again having a go, just politely tell her you have been on to the council and there are no issues with what you are doing :) would love to see her reaction!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's good that your dog has good recall but to be honest no-one else will know, they just see a loose dog.

What IS a private estate anyway does anyone know? a non council estate?

If something is easily accessible, then it's considered a plublic place, as a general rule of thumb (even if it is privately owned).

A place that would generally be considered private would be a place that's gated or such (and by extension, is not easily accessed by the public).

The estate I live in is not a council estate, has a management crowd and all homes are privately owned (I believe, anyway). But it's got roads in and out and anyone can wander in or out without any effort. Therefore, it's a public place.

As far as Im aware only Gated Estates or Gated Apartment grounds are considered private, theres not many gated estates in Ireland. Almost all estates on this country are accessible to the general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

In a way I can understand what the woman is talking about OP. Your dog sounds like she's well controlled and you pick up her poop, which is fine, but in a lot of cases people don't control their dogs in estates. My parents live in a small estate and a lot of people use the estate as a shortcut to walk their dogs and most of them would be off leash. The amount of dog poop on the roads and footpaths was getting unreal at one point. I was coming out of their house one afternoon and a dog was chasing one of their cats through their garden while the owners ignored it. When I chased the dog off and challenged them about it they honestly didn't seem to have a clue that they were doing anything wrong. :confused:

They thought letting the dog chase the cat was fine, they thought letting their dog crap on the pavement was fine too. There might be a similar situation in that estate and you were a convenient target. I know that the pair I spoke to got both barrel's from me and they've their dog on a leash when they pass my parents house every day now.

In a way I can understand what the woman is talking about OP. Your dog sounds like she's well controlled and you pick up her poop, which is fine, but in a lot of cases people don't control their dogs in estates. My parents live in a small estate and a lot of people use the estate as a shortcut to walk their dogs and most of them would be off leash. The amount of dog poop on the roads and footpaths was getting unreal at one point. I was coming out of their house one afternoon and a dog was chasing one of their cats through their garden while the owners ignored it. When I chased the dog off and challenged them about it they honestly didn't seem to have a clue that they were doing anything wrong. :confused:

They thought letting the dog chase the cat was fine, they thought letting their dog crap on the pavement was fine too. There might be a similar situation in that estate and you were a convenient target. I know that the pair I spoke to got both barrel's from me and they've their dog on a leash when they pass my parents house every day now.

There's loads of crappy dog owners out there, I get really angry too when some people have thier dogs off lead and don't control them properly. Ive a dog reactive collie and I its dreadful for us if other dog owners allow their dog to run up into her face:( But thats not an excuse to start picking on responsible dog owners who are in control of their dogs, they are entitled to let them have a run off lead.

I told her straight away that I always pick up poo and that there was nobody around at that hour so I really couldn't see r issue but I think she had a bee in her bonnet about a stranger coming into the estate. Fair point that maybe other people passing through don't pick up the poo but her attitude was terrible even after I assured her I was responsible. a snob I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

She doesn't know you and therefore don't really trust you when you say dog is ok without leash and you pick up poop.
    Put yourself in her shoes, what would you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

biko wrote: »
    She doesn't know you and therefore don't really trust you when you say dog is ok without leash and you pick up poop.
    Put yourself in her shoes, what would you think?

I'd bite my tongue and say nothing unless the dog was having a negative impact on my life. And I certainly wouldn't come out of my house threatening to have somebody fined at 7:00am?
    Sounds like Hyacinth Bucket thinking she lives in a posh private estate lol! :pac:

tk123 wrote: »
    I'd bite my tongue and say nothing unless the dog was having a negative impact on my life. And I certainly wouldn't come out of my house threatening to have somebody fined at 7:00am?
    Sounds like Hyacinth Bucket thinking she lives in a posh private estate lol! :pac:

It's bouquet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Not against the law to have dog off the lead. As long as the dog is under control of owner it is perfectly legal. Exempt are the breeds like rotti, german shepherd, etc

Advertisement